New to Barbados

Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Jeanna01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Barbados

Hi,

I have recently moved to Barbados with my husband and would like some advice on best ways to meet new friends and get a bit of a social life.

I am 31, a new mum of a 3 month old girl and I also have a small dog. Is there any mother & baby meet up groups here? Meeting other mums would be great but I'd also be interested in meeting people who I could go to the gym with, outdoor sports/activities, dog walking and more...

Also I'm interested in doing a few hours of voluntary work per week, has anyone got info on how I go about doing this?? I have Emailed a few of the charities I was interested in helping but there has been no response.

Thanks
Old Sep 28th 2015, 9:40 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Barbados

Hi Jeanna and welcome to the forum

This is one of our most popular questions so I would suggest you read through previous posts and im sure all the info for you is already there

Re Charity work unfortunately Barbados takes the stance that any kind of work paid or unpaid is not allowed as it detracts from work that would be offered to local people. However I know a number of ex pats that have put their time in to the Hope Charity which looks after local animals it might be worth contacting them

Dips
Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks, I have had a look through many of the posrs and noted all the info. As for the voluntary work the Hope charity sounds perfect. Helping with animals is what I had in mind so that's great news.

Thanks for the reply
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

I know I always paste this link.... but it is such a great thing ...

Jeanna, check this out BH3 :: On In :: The Barbados Hash House Harriers

We a huge mix of people ... we would rather you didnt bring your dog though...often the terrain will not be suitable.... come along, stay awhile have some fun and meet a few new people...
Old Sep 28th 2015, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the link
Old Oct 14th 2015, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Noobikes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I moved to barbados 7 days ago and have seen your post. I can't message at the minute because I've not sent enough posts but thought I'd introduce myself and the maybe we could meet up for a coffee and a dog walk. I'm 35, I have a 4 year old daughter who is attending wills primary school,I'm expecting another baby in April and have a poodle/tibetian terrier (who apparently is afraid of waves lol). We are currently living in st Thomas but I've got a car so can always throw my dog in the car and head over to you if it's easier. Let me know if you'd like to meet up and I hope your settling in well x
Old Oct 15th 2015, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Wharfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Regarding voluntary work, you can call the Catholic and Anglican churches. Tel numbers can be found on google. I am sure that they will be happy with more hands helping in food preparation for poor people, giving cathechese/Sunday school, manning the charity shops, etc. All the people I know that help there are on a voluntary basis and many are expat ladies in the same situation as you :-)

Also, the old people's home might be happy to have you coming in every now and then to visit the seniors if that is something you would like to do.

Hope you have a great time here!

Good luck!
Old Oct 15th 2015, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

BarbadosEntrepreneur is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jeanna01

Welcoming you and your family to my beautiful island. I hope you are well settle and already meeting new friends. The people here are generally warm and welcoming. If you are still looking for voluntary work you are always welcome to help out with my church, The Salvation Army, as you know we are indeed a charitable organisation and our may objective is to help our fellowman.

-promotional message removed-

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 20th 2016 at 3:25 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Hi wharfer,

Thanks for the reply on the charity work. I will look into it.

😊