Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK what to bring or buy

Moving from UK what to bring or buy

Old Jun 20th 2015, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Mac56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from UK what to bring or buy

Hi. Quick question before we pack up and move. Is there anything you can recommend we purchase or bring with us that is difficult to get in Barbados. I am thinking of beauty products or medicine....?

Any advice is grateful.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Wharfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving from UK what to bring or buy

Hi Mac56, welcome!

All depends if you are moving yourself,two of you,or family......would not worry too much about medicine or beauty products. More about cars and furniture

Let us know what you are looking to do, so we are better able to give guidance.

Enjoy preparing for your move in the mean time:thumbsu p:
Old Jun 20th 2015, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving from UK what to bring or buy

Hey. Thanks for your message. The move is myself,my wife and our new baby. Car is taken care of....so was just wondering if there was items that were more cost effective to buy in London or items anyone just recommends? Ta
Old Jun 20th 2015, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Wharfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Any clothing, for all three of you. Shoes especially for the baby.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

sunnyisle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mac,

I'd pack a mosquito net and any of your favourite things that remind you of home. Nice clothes and shoes in Barbados are expensive.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Great call on Mosquito net thanks !!
Old Jun 21st 2015, 5:31 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Ikea do really good mozzie nets for permanent use, not so hot for travelling as assembly needed. We use them in Gda a lot.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Can't say I have found a mozzie net to be an issue.. but of course that depends on your location here in Barbados..

To be honest most things are more expensive than you might be used to and, naturally, the selection is smaller. That is not to say that it's bad.. but if you have any particular tastes..whether it be in clothing. or tasty treats... then I would stock up on those.. and make sure you have a UK supply line .. through friends or family travelling this way...
Old Jun 21st 2015, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replying guys. ....I think we have all covered and the supply chain is long...plenty of guests !!
Old Jun 21st 2015, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_grenada
Ikea do really good mozzie nets for permanent use, not so hot for travelling as assembly needed. We use them in Gda a lot.
Hey, Bob: just as a matter of interest... Do you use mosquito nets at home, or just for camping away from home? (Do people go camping in Grenada - and Barbados?) I haven't even seen a net since I was a boy, that I can remember - although I never go camping, which may be why.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 8:34 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

In wet season always. As a driercisland caymen might well be different, but in Gda, there are plenty of mozzies but only in wet season, nov to may, almost nothing. My house has efficient screens, but a few will always get through, and they have evolved to crawl up under nets so tucking them in is needed. It allows complete safety / comfort, and good netsxallow all the breezes through and dont cause any heat. If dengue is around (couple of times a decade) its important, chikungunya forget it, everyone got it from daytime bugs, and theres a new dengue heading OUR way from jamaica i understand.

There is another question for you to consider, one loses sensitivity to the local mozzies, after a few months of being bitten, you pretty much stop reacting, but are still being bitten, more if anything because you dont worry or react physically, i have never allowed that to happen deliberately.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 8:37 pm

Only mad visitors camp, its not exactly encouraged, and guest housesxare cheap enough. Barbados is an oddity as a caribbean island, an ancient reef, it always felt much drier than the mountainous islands, so maybe its less of an issue there too.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Jun 21st 2015 at 8:40 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, Bob. Very interesting. We too have a lot of mozzies in the wet season, despite our government's aeroplane spraying program. We've never gotten used to being bitten, and a single one can keep me awake at night. As you say, no screens offer perfect protection! Our main protection inside are "Vape" mats - do you have them? - little rectangular thingies that fit into special little electric heaters. Manufactured in Trinidad, I think. Their smell is not as intrusive as that of coils. Also, we find "Bounce" dryer-sheets work for below the computer desks and on the bed (in the open packet) at nights - for that pesky and stubborn beast that survives everything else.

I was brought up with mosquito nets, a hundred years or so ago in the Australian bush - and always found them incredibly hot in summer time. I haven't used them since. You say that good nets allow the breezes to blow through: that must be a new scientific development that I hadn't heard of before. Is there a special brand you use or recommend?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 8:18 am

We use the nets sold by ikea. 15 pounds, SOLIG Net - IKEA The circle is a fibreglass rod, bigger than it looks, 5 ft in diameter. It means you do get more of a tent over the bed if you havent invested in a bed designed for nets. The little bu@@ers are clever, they can walk up the inside and round edges, so they have to be closed with clothes pegs, and a long piece of knicker elastic round the mattress over the net is easier than tucking it under (and avoids tearing it.)

We have the mats but find the liquid evaporating killers more powerful, jungle formula make the plug ins and refills. However, the net is so much less toxic to live with overnight. If you have all the windows open i dont think the vapour gets up to killing strength too, so if you want it cool breezy and safe, nets... (I live a few hundred feet up, on the edge of a flat grassy 20 acres (golf course.) Still cant beat the bayer coils and citronella candles outside on the porch. Im told someone has invented an electric zapper like the one for flys and moths that is targetted at mozzies, generates carbon dioxide, might try one of those some time. Havent tried bounce, thanks for that one. In return, get some borax powder (laundry aisle of supermarket) mix 3 cups of sugar and half a cup of pancake syrup or golden syrup with a little water in a liquidiser to make a thick syrup, in another container (i make cocktails in my liquidiser!) add 1 cup of borax, mix well. Feed it to ants who love it, but its a slow poison. 2-3 days later no ants nest. This is what nippon liquid is in the uk. Works in Gda on all of the ants, wood ants, red ants, termites, sugar ants etc etc, and they come to your preferred location to get it, then wander off and die elsewhere.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the tip about the ant-killer. That's valuable advice. Now... have you got anything for centipedes? Every once in a while we get stung by one of them. The pain isn't too bad - not much worse than a big mosquito - but they drive my wife crazy, to the point where she will hysterically spray them with a quart of BOP (Agent Orange in a can) to slow them down enough to be smacked to death with a shoe. By that time, I'm almost sorry for the little buggers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.