Moving

Old Oct 24th 2016, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Hathaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving

Hi,
My partner and I are in the process of purchasing land in Barbados and plan to build and eventually move to Barbados from England. In order to become citizens, what is the process, or is the fact that we have Caribbean passports enough for us to reside in Barbados. If we pan to work, what is the process for this.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:31 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving

I would strongly encourage you to take a bit of time to look through some of the posts in this forum.. chock full of good advise and information regarding your questions..

I will say.. just because you buy land and build a house, doesn't automatically entitle you to residency, citizenship or a work permit, however.. if you hold Caribbean Passports and they are part Caricom you can apply to work as a Skilled Caricom National. Caricom Skilled Nationals

As you are already in the process of purchasing land, I would assume you have done your due diligence on living and working in Barbados.. living here isn't like vacationing here.. just my 2 cents..
Old Oct 25th 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that's extremely important to bear in mind is that former, and even current, British colonies make no concessions at all to UK citizens. Here in Cayman****, one of Britain's few remaining colonies, would-be immigrants from Britain are turning up all the time, expecting to take precedence over people from Nepal or Colombia or Zambia, and are astonished to be told that when it comes to immigration, they don't. As far as I'm aware, it's pretty much the same It's probably the same in Barbados.
**** Cayman's Immigration authorities operate a quota system, and actively seek out people from new countries, so as not to get too many Brits, Jamaicans, US, Canadians - and now Filipinos. Does Barbados do the same?
Old Oct 25th 2016, 5:43 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hathaway welcome to the forum..when you say Caribbean passports I am guessing they are not Barbadian passports?

Like Sunnie says its best to review the Caricom laws rather than the English/Barbados perspective because it seems you will have more rights than an English person to work but less than a local Barbadian and I think it depends on the type of work and your background as a graduate etc

Check this out as well as Sunnies link Immigration And Work Permits - Business Barbados
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:58 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

HI Gordon... I don't think Barbados operates on a quota system as to who they let in and when (regarding people coming to live on the island). although I honestly have no idea.. the rules are pretty strict and it's not a place you can just come and live and work.. been like that for many many years.

Work permits are required for any type of position if you aren't a citizen, resident or hold a caricom passport and have the qualifications) , but if a bajan can do the job, the job has to be offered to a Barbadian. some companies skirt that by making the requirements of the job tailor made for an individual they already have hired. (I've seen it in action.. too many times).
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
HI Gordon... I don't think Barbados operates on a quota system as to who they let in and when (regarding people coming to live on the island). although I honestly have no idea.. the rules are pretty strict and it's not a place you can just come and live and work.. been like that for many many years.
I've no idea either. Of course Cayman and Barbados are very different societies. Two thirds of our entire population are expats. And Cayman never had a local industry worth the mention until a few decades ago!
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Hathaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. It was informative.