Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Looking for help and advice on moving and working in Barbados

Looking for help and advice on moving and working in Barbados

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

charlottep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for help and advice on moving and working in Barbados

Hi,

My partner and I and our two children are considering moving to Barbados.
My partner is a Barbadian National and Uk resident. After visiting a few times we feel this is the right move for us. I am reluctant to go without securing a job. I am Staff Nurse with eight years Theatre experience within a Paediatric Hospital. I have emailed the QEH with my CV and was told overseas recruiting was haulting and to reapply when in the country. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Charlotte
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Pasty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for help and advice on moving and working in Barbados

My sincere advice to you would be to stay in the UK and go to Barbados for holidays. It is a very weird and difficult place to live with many prejudiced people and a big social apartheid in place. Wages are very low compared to the UK, and the Government there are not efficient at collecting taxes, so Government workers are often not paid or are laid off or have their wages reduced. I heard of a Cardiologist in the UK who gave up everything for a job at QEH (which he had been formally offered), and when he arrived there he was turned away, being told that they had no job for him since they had no money. The Barbadian Government then gave him and his wife two weeks to leave the Country.
Go for holiday and enjoy the scenery, but live in the UK if you can.
Unless, that is, you have 10 million pounds or so and don't need the wages.