Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice about moving to Barbados

Looking for advice about moving to Barbados

Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

missamanda1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for advice about moving to Barbados

Hi everyone just looking for some help also, my husband is Bajan and we live in Scotland he is on a spouse visa I'm Scottish and we have a 4 year old son. He has lived here 5 years but hasn't got residence yet we hav talked about moving to Barbados to be close to his family but my question is do me and my son need visas? Do we hav to go the same procedure as we did for my husband coming here or is it easier since we been married 5 years etc thanks in advance xxx
Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:33 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice about moving to Barbados

Hi Amanda

It is not as difficult as the spousal visa for UK but it is longer in essence...you do not need a visa as such to go live in Barbados as the spouse of a Bajan...however when you arrive you should complete your application for residency or citizenship. This process is long winded and last I heard the backlog was 7 years, however to my understanding they will issue a work and reside permit so you are able to work. I will let someone else comment on what your child would need re schooling etc.

Obviously you will be aware of time spent out of UK and how that might affect your husbands residency status...be warned that Barbados has always been expensive but right now it is super super expensive...also lots of people have been laid off from work so actually surviving in Barbados is harder than ever now
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your answer. We just wernt sure if had to go through all the hassle of same visas as my husband has had to get its been lots of money and stress 😢 but think we would prob be better getting his residency here first so least if didn't work out we at least could come back here xx
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:04 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Amanda it might be worth ringing the Barbados High Commission in London as I am pretty sure you don't have to be in Barbados to file your paperwork for citizenship in Barbados...you could start the ball rolling whilst waiting out your husbands residency in UK and then at least when you are ready your application will be well under way..they will let you know if those rules have changed

Barbados High Commission
1 Great Russell St, London WC1B 3ND
020 7299 7150
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:56 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I would strongly encourage you to stay on the track of getting him the residency for Scotland before coming here. it's not as difficult, as said.. but.. it's more time.. and it's not cheap all around. Your child, as the son of a Barbadian, can apply for citizenship by descent, so that should not be a problem.. and yes.. go ahead and start the paperwork for Barbados before you ever get here.. will likely make it easier all around.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Do I just apply straight away for residency? Great I will give them a call and see what advice they can give. Nothing set in stone yet as I'm happy in Scotland but my husband getting restless here so I just wanted to know our options so least know where we stand x thank you guys uv been a big help x
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missamanda1
Do I just apply straight away for residency? Great I will give them a call and see what advice they can give. Nothing set in stone yet as I'm happy in Scotland but my husband getting restless here so I just wanted to know our options so least know where we stand x thank you guys uv been a big help x
Worth bearing in mind whether your husband can get citizenship for the UK before you move - otherwise if you all wish to go back to the UK he might go through the whole Spouse Visa process again - not easy or cheap these days.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Yeh that's totally true as I just don't know how I'd feel living there but always said I would try as he did it for me but gettin his citizenship sorted before we go we would def do just incase it didn't work out I would hate to start the visa process all over again for him! I just wasn't sure if it was same process for me as what he has had to do or being easier as we been married etc but all advice been amazing thank u so much xx
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

charlottep is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

Amanda I am in the exact position as you. Interested to hear how you got on. My partner is from Barbados and we are looking to relocate with our two children. I am a staff nurse here in Glasgow and would move on the basis of securing employment. I have emailed a few hospitals. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks Charlotte
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi Charlotte

Keep me posted how u get on all the help would be appreciated we are still gonna live here till get citizenship sorted he has another year and a bit till it runs out. Does ur husband hav his citizenship? Good luck with everything hope it works out for u xx
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi Amanda,

We have swayed with the idea for years. My partner has his residency here. He's been in the uk for 10 years. But gets very homesick and has found it difficult recently as he was made redundant. The Scottish weather does not help. Will call the embassy next week. Take it from there.

Charlotte
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Totally know what u mean mines is the same he misses home so much so we have spoke about me moving but I just wanted to know how to go about this etc he has lived here 6 years I'm totally happy being here but if got a good job in a salon that would b great I always said I'd try it if he couldn't settle he try's so much but its not home for him x keep me posted xx
Old Jan 4th 2015, 2:00 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Charlotte.. just to ask.. is the bajan your legal husband.. or just a partner (meaning no certificate of marriage..). I ask, only because, it will make it more difficult for you to be here if you are not legally married. .. As Dipity has pointed out much earlier in the conversation, the spouse of a Barbadian can apply for a reside and work, while at the same time applying for their resident status. but the whole thing will take time.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

No we are not married...however I have been led to believe I can apply for a spouses visa as I am regarded to be a common law spouse. Is this correct? Can my children not apply for dual citizenship? Will this not strethen my application? Thanks for any information or advice.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:08 pm

Not sure about the common law wife situation in Barbados, but don't think it applies (I could be wrong..) your children can apply for citizen ship by decent but I can tell you that even people I know who moved here, had children in Barbados.. lived and worked for many years, were never even granted residence even though they have Barbadian Born Children.. I would strongly recommend contacting the Immigration department and asking these questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.