It's happening!

Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:27 am
Just Joined

stephaniie165 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's happening!

Hi all,

I have thoroughly been reading this forum (read: stalking) ever since I decided that I wanted to live in Barbados short term. It is now happening.

In December, I will be relocating to Barbados for 8-9 weeks - assuming the lady/gentleman at the airport grants me more than 30 days! I am looking to do more than tan all day everyday at the beach and go out in the Gap. I am looking to volunteer and wanted to have an idea on how to find such opportunities. I did read about the CWC but wanted to know if there are other organizations as well.

Also, I'd like to make some friends - local or expat. I'm a young professional in her mid-twenties from Canada that enjoys just about anything.

Thanks all for your help and contributions made to this forum. Looking forward to do the same!
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:37 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's happening!

I Stephaniie.. as some will tell you.. and you may have read. .I am the voice of doom for anyone wanting to relocate to Barbados that doesn't have the proper documentation to do so..

I wouldn't say you are relocating. you are coming on an extended holiday. Depending on how you present yourself at the airport, you may be asked to show proof of ability to stay on the island for 8-9 weeks, especially over the Christmas / new years/ January season. do you have family in Barbados?? friends?? no anyone?? (and I'm not talking those of us on the board who live here). You do have a place to stay, I'm guessing and a return ticket.. so the 8-9 weeks would be a firm date of arrival and departure.

You are Canadian?? I asked because the CWC would refer to the Canadian Women's Club. (I'm guessing). I'd first suggest finding someone in that organization to talk to regarding volunteer experience with them.

There used to be a law that you couldn't even volunteer on the island, as an expat, even if you lived here.. because you would be taking away the opportunity from a Local (and I must say.. I don't know if that still exists, but I remember years ago, meeting the British wife of a Telecom company executive who couldn't even volunteer, even though she lived her full time with her husband. (there goes that doom voice again). She tried to do volunteer work in the field she was qualified in.. like physical therapy, or something like that.. but wasn't allowed.. she could volunteer through an organization, but doing things like .. going to the hospital, reading to children there, volunteering with the animal shelters etc.

and what type of volunteer experience are you looking for?? because that will be where people will guide you.

Good luck.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Hi Sunnie! Lol @voice of the doom! I have learned a great deal from your posts. Thanks for replying!

Yes, my tickets are for fixed dates as I will have to go back to work😒.

I do know a few people in Barbados from my previous trip but they are not family or close friends.

I looked up CWC because well I am Canadian but any organization would do. I would be interested in anything that has to do with education. I am not an educator by trade but believe in it's importance. Also, I do speak French (first language) and would gladly teach/tutor the language. Not sure if that would be feasible though..
Old Aug 18th 2017, 1:38 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Stephaniie. no problem in replying.. I just have to tell it like it is.. don't want to get anyone's hopes up when it may or may not happen. (and when asked.. it's extended holiday.. taking a break from real life.. ).

https://www.facebook.com/alliancefrancaisedebridgetown/ The is the Alliance Francaise chapter in Barbados. (only know them as they used to have an open party ever once in a while and bring some great french cheeses in from Martinique) You could possibly get in touch with them when they get back into session in September.. they do have tutoring classes. so. the only issue may be your timing on the island being December/January, when schools are out for about 3 weeks during that time period .

that's a start..
Old Aug 18th 2017, 1:21 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Stephanie and for making your dreams come true...a note on the volunteer side I know people have worked with the animal charities ie The Hope etc but to be honest if you do get volunteer work don't mention it - people can take quite a delight in scuppering peoples dreams especially if they take a dislike - I had my own company in Bim and was going to work on a major government initiative but a guy who had split up from one of my girlfriends decided to write an anonymous letter saying I was a fraud and my company didn't exist- it was all nonsense but that kind of stuff happens - sometimes people just have too much time on their hands lol. Anyhow the rules are you cant do any kind of work period volunteer or paid - keeping your business to yourself is my advice.

If you don't want to be bored maybe consider an online course or a language or something that can keep you occupied - making friends is not easy as you will be there for a short time so maybe see that as a bonus if it happens and don't let being on your own stop you from getting out and about. A suggestion might be to find out where the latest quiz nights are as these are great places to break the ice with a team when you join them

Dips - p.s if you have to go to work it might be good to do what those visiting UK do and get a letter from your employers confirming that and that might ensure your stamp at airport

Last edited by Serendipidy; Aug 18th 2017 at 1:24 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Happyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond repute

There are many , many people who visit Barbados for 3 months ( and more ) especially from the UK and Canada every Winter. The standard stamp in Immigration appears to be for 3 months nowadays, so as long as you call it a holiday and don't mention living here , have your Return ticket at the ready you should have no problem. ( I stayed repeatedly for up to 4th months at a time three times a year before they realised early last year I was here more than in the UK and demanded I apply for Residence )

I agree that a letter from your Employer stating the date he expects you back, would, however, be a good idea.

Enjoy your Winter.

ps I never , ever get bored here, and I'm sure you won't either.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Thank you Sunnie! I will reach out to them.

Dips - thanks for the advices! I will definitely keep this in mind. P.s You remind me of my mom (great compliment), she often tells me to keep certain things to myself - I sometimes chat too much.

Thanks Happyowner! Will definitely do so.

You guys are great!