Immigration

Old Oct 4th 2015, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

PrincessBananaHamock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration

My son is coming to visit and he's never been here before does he need a return ticket? On entry? Just we have not decided whether he will stay till after Christmas or go back to the UK for a couple of weeks in November. I realize we would have to apply for an extension if he stays.
This is all new to us because on our other island we all had resident status but now my son is over 18 I'm not sure how to proceed and of course we want to do everything correctly and within the law.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 3:23 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration

Yes any country of arrival without resident status will demand a return ticket..it is best to get a return and pay the change fee on the ticket when you extend..when you buy from Virgin direct the change fee is about £50 ...you will be asked on your extension for the date on the return ticket so change that first before you apply for extension..its a weird way round but thats how it works...some times you dont get any letter etc re your extension until after your ext expires but as long as you have paid the ext fee etc your covered.

Last edited by Serendipidy; Oct 4th 2015 at 10:52 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

PrincessBananaHamock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much he's only coming for a holiday but everyone keeps telling me horror stories lol.
I'm legally here as a spouse but I always want to stay the right side of any immigration in any country
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:35 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

yes.. if he doesn't have status here, he needs a return ticket
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Sus1eb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone.
I am new to this site so sorry if I'm asking previous questions that I have not seen. My husband and I have had a house here for 8 years and about to buy another. We have just sold up in the uk with plans to retire here. (He is 62 and I'm 55) I was stamped in for 6 months at the airport and told to apply for a visa. So the big question is which visa. We do not want to work, we have pensions and can support ourselves and do not want to go back and forth to the Uk. From what I hear the 5 year special entry permit is what most people apply for, unfortunately we do not qualify for the high net worth visa but I am wondering if you can apply straight away for residency or even immigration status. It tells you what you need for your application but doesn't say who is eligible to apply, does anyone know? Is it worth getting an immigration lawyer to help?
Thank you in advance for any help/advice
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 12:27 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Susie and welcome

Residency or visas are a form of immigration status...residency to my knowledge can only be applied for on the basis marriage or descendency or if you have been on the island for a consistent amount of years legally ie work permit (my guess is probably 7 years). Just as in the UK someone cannot just decide to buy a home and live in Barbados..the fact that you were given 6 months at the airport is promising as many are not given that long..I really would suggest you seeking a lawyer for advice..maybe someone here can recommend someone as my lawyer experiences are from way back Dips
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Sus1eb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. I have some friends who applied for residency back in 2004 they are still waiting for an answer but they have never had to leave. They too have had a lawyer the first one they got rid of after 10 years as he achieved nothing and they now have another, I'm really not sure it helps in anyway?! Also spoke to someone who got their 5 year visa after about 3 months with no problems. Think we will have to ring immigration and ask them what the best solution is before making an application.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

MISSYBDS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

With regards to the lawyer scenario I can recommend Warren Mottley.

However, what is anyone's take on getting a lawyer involved to look into/speed up or get involved in immigration matters/permits and such?

Does it actually help or not make much difference as they are a law unto themselves regardless?

Perhaps it even annoys them and has a detrimental effect?!

Any thoughts or advice welcomed.

Thank you.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 8:46 pm

I personally think that no one can hurry up immigration however if you have a lawyer with contacts in immigration then I guess it could..but how would you know until it happens

With reference to an application in 2004 the laws would have been very different back then to now..everywhere has closed its borders and made it very difficult to get residency or any kind of visa and Barbados is not exception. The average waiting time I have heard being offered for an interview even when you have rights with married status is 7 years...I would suggest if you are going to ring immigration that you use the Barbados High Commission in London which should get you a better result...let us know here if you find out please so that the info can help others who may have the same question
Old Nov 6th 2015, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

I'm not so sure on that time frame Dips... I have had an application for citizenship by marriage in since my marriage in Aug 2011.

Today I got a letter from the Immigration, Citizenship department advising of an interview on the 19th Nov.....

Not sure what is due to happen then... but any step forward is always good news...

For what it's worth I haven't used any lawyer.. just followed the process...
Old Nov 6th 2015, 7:56 pm

Thats good news Ian..seems they are catching up with the backlog..maybe they have computerised it all..7 years down to 4 years
Old Nov 8th 2015, 12:39 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

congrats Ian.. but Dipity.. I thought the "by Marriage" ones were only at about 3 or 4 years anyway..
Old Nov 8th 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
congrats Ian.. but Dipity.. I thought the "by Marriage" ones were only at about 3 or 4 years anyway..
3 or 4 years for????..I am talking about the interviews for citizenship via marriage
Old Nov 11th 2015, 12:34 am

yep.. I'm talking the time it takes to make application for citizenship via marriage.. only recently it was 3 to 4 years.. that's what it was taking just in the last couple of years, according to info no this group.. when did it go to 7 years.??
Old Nov 11th 2015, 8:52 am

Sunnie I was saying I know people who were told 7 years waiting previously (was a few years back) so now Ian is saying 3-4 I guess they have caught up on the backlog