Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Getting visa debit/credit card

Getting visa debit/credit card

Old Nov 4th 2016, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

EwellBBD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting visa debit/credit card

I've just moved to Barbados and set up a savings account with the bank which my employer can pay my salary into, I can make withdrawals and can use at POS machines.

I wanted to get a visa debit/credit card so I can make online purchases (presents, flights etc) but was told I'd need to be a full resident or Barbados national to get the card and advised I would need to do ALL purchases at the head office of the vendors (e.g. drive to LIAT at the airport every time I want to book a flight).

Is this right that I can't get this card?
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:48 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting visa debit/credit card

okkkk.. i'm curious who and which bank told you that.. It might be best if you employer got you a company credit/debit card and you simply pay them back, if it's going to be that much trouble. I don't have to drive to the head off of any vendors if I'm purchasing anything on line.. but I wouldn't necessarily purchase things online in Barbados anyway.. (Online with companies out side of Barbados but not in..).. sorry. don't fly liat so don't have any idea on that one.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 11:47 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to apply as well (I had a business and personal current account not savings) but got told that they dont do international credit for non nationals which makes sense in a way.

Cant remember which bank was previously affiliated with Barclays was it First National (cant remember the name of the bank right but I used the branch in Rendezvous) anyhow they have UK links and it might be easier.

If you have a UK credit card (im presuming your british) is it possible to choose which bank accounts your payments come out of? Again they may not like international transfers of payments etc maybe against money laundering rules.

You may have to transfer monies from your Barbados account to your UK account and use a UK card or consider using paypal with direct payments from your Barbados Account.

By the way I notice that you said savings account im not in banking but Im thinking that few bank accounts would allow credit transactions for a savings account.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Wharfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this is always tricky moving to a new country and expect straight away a credit card or credit in general...... please keep in mind that all the persons who are moving towards USA, UK, Canada etc from all over the world are going through even more difficult issues in obtaining credit, in most cases (especially UK) you need to be resident for at least three years in order to be approved for credit (including cards, post paid phones, mortgages). Probably best to go through various hoops and for the time use your current credit cards as a back up.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Bentham is an unknown quantity at this point

The manager at CIBC told me that the Central Bank regulations had been changed recently. So, that's true, they cannot issue international cards (credit or debit) anymore to non-residents. Happily, I got one before these regulations but not sure if they will issue a new card after the expiration date.