Getting a job in Barbados

Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

IkklePiranha is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Getting a job in Barbados

Hello all!!

I stumbled happily upon this site while trying to figure out how I could get myself across to Barbados!
I've been visiting the wonderful isle for 6 years now, i'm pretty immersed in local culture, having several friends there (and an ex-fiancee!) and really exploring the place while there, not just sticking to the tourist routes. My parents also have two studio apartments in Holetown, which helps!

After my most recent trip I've realised how much I want to settle down there for a while. Possibly indefinitely. My main problem being that i'm very short of money. My benefits being that i'm young, not tied-down, employable (skilled in several areas, i think/hope!) and flexible.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any job opportunities for a young girl, which I could access from the UK (I can't visit again until at least March!)?

I have worked in several bars+gastropubs, the world's busiest Starbucks store, I am currently a case coordinator for the Probation service in Surrey and have done other office-based jobs. Plus i'm a fast learner. I was hoping someone here might know of an opportunity, or where to look.

While my friends on the Island will be able to find me some positions, I know the ex-pat population will have different opportunities that may be more appropriate to the work experience I've had in the UK.

And if I do find a job - i then need to think about accommodation! I just want a nice little chattel house somewhere out the way. Possibly St.Lucy. Or Risk Road, where my friends are! But that's a whole other ball game!

I look forward to your responses and and help!

Thanks, Caroline

PS - sorry, will also post this in the jobs forum, which I didn't see. But I hoped some Bbds residents might be of help!

Last edited by IkklePiranha; Nov 30th 2006 at 9:43 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 12:07 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a job in Barbados

dont know the exact regs over there but they're almost the same as here in the Grenadines and you cant do a days work without a work permit/residency visa - which has to be paid for by your employer. Best way to get in - hotels and resorts - they'll do your accommodation, flights and visa.

Airlines flying into Barbados will only accept passengers with a legitimate visa or a return ticket within the countries visitor time allowance (6 months possibly?) airlines like Virgin and BA will not let you board the plane without those things as if Barbados refuse you entry the airline is responsible for the cost of getting you home - so they wont do it!

and if you overstay and when you leave Barbados immigration swipe your passport and see you have been illegal in the country - they will stamp your with a non-desireable for 5 years!

I'm sure you know all this but just incase
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandmom
dont know the exact regs over there but they're almost the same as here in the Grenadines and you cant do a days work without a work permit/residency visa - which has to be paid for by your employer. Best way to get in - hotels and resorts - they'll do your accommodation, flights and visa.

Airlines flying into Barbados will only accept passengers with a legitimate visa or a return ticket within the countries visitor time allowance (6 months possibly?) airlines like Virgin and BA will not let you board the plane without those things as if Barbados refuse you entry the airline is responsible for the cost of getting you home - so they wont do it!

and if you overstay and when you leave Barbados immigration swipe your passport and see you have been illegal in the country - they will stamp your with a non-desireable for 5 years!

I'm sure you know all this but just incase
Lots of good points Islandmom. Getting a work permit in Barbados or many other parts of the Caribbean are tough. Legislation in a lot of former British colonies in the Caribbean state things along the lines of Nationals of the country have to be giving first preferences at any jobs. After that, Caribbean Community (CARICOM) nationals have to be given second preference and third is usually outside of the Caribbean. In terms of Barbados, I would say Accounting firms could be the industry that brings in the most outside nationls to Barbados. Ernst and Young or PricewaterhouseCoopers come quickly to mind.... The other thing that's being snapped up are police officers from the United Kingdom. Some of the criminals that are getting deported from the United States come back to the Caribbean with a criminal sophistication above what the local police forces are trained or are equiped to handle. Many Caribbean islands are having to bring in police officers from countries where these Criminals are from to even-up the score. If you're a UK police you can fairly easily gain a job in the Caribbean police forces.

~Tropical

Last edited by _Tropical_11th; Dec 7th 2006 at 1:54 am.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Thank you

Thankfully i'm not a police officer over here, however I do work for the probation service - not as a qualified probation officer (that'll be another two years!) though, so I guess I won't really have much use over there!

I believe I know someone who came to the island via an accounting firm, although not for long, so I shall have to quiz her!

I wasn't actually aware of the non-desirable stamp, which is certinaly not something I'd ever want! But that's why i'm here asking for legit options!

Does anyone know if the situation changes if you marry a Bajan?
(I would like to state now I would only marrry for love).

Thanks again to the both of you x
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by IkklePiranha
Thank you

Thankfully i'm not a police officer over here, however I do work for the probation service - not as a qualified probation officer (that'll be another two years!) though, so I guess I won't really have much use over there!

I believe I know someone who came to the island via an accounting firm, although not for long, so I shall have to quiz her!

I wasn't actually aware of the non-desirable stamp, which is certinaly not something I'd ever want! But that's why i'm here asking for legit options!

Does anyone know if the situation changes if you marry a Bajan?
(I would like to state now I would only marrry for love).

Thanks again to the both of you x

well Probabtion service may well help with the police in Barbados - maybe they have positions for civilians they need from the UK.

In terms of marrying a Bajan - same applies, you must have the correct visa and paperwork to get in and stay. and one other thing - if you're non-desireable in Barbados that applies to the entire Caricom community at their discretion too.

If you married a bajan you'd have to go to either the BBds embassy in London and get all the visas done or do so in Bbds within your visitor timeframe.

hope that helps
Old Jan 4th 2007, 2:42 pm
Jane888uk

Jane888uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Just had to get involved in this conversation.....
Just got back from Barbados after spending a great Christmas in the sun.
We are returning in April for a few more weeks...

I went with my daughter and we have both fallen in love with the island.
We now want to live there and hopefully find jobs out there too!

Does anybody know how long we can rent there, with the intention to buy
once we have decided which side of the island we prefer to live.

I was going to rent my property here in the UK, then rent over in
Barbados.
We know we cant work for now, but how long does it take to get a work permit? ( will we ever get one? )

I have worked @ Bournemouth Airport for fourteen years which includes
being Cabin Crew.
At the moment l work for Security there, but l am also a fully trained Masseuse.
My daughter wants to fly ( cabin crew ) but she has to wait a couple of years
as she has to be nineteen.

Would appreciate any knowledge

Thanks Jane

Last edited by Jane888uk; Jan 4th 2007 at 2:55 pm. Reason: Added more
Old Jan 4th 2007, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Glad you had a good christmas out there!

You can stay out there for 6 motnhs on a visitors visa - doesn't matter if you're in a hotel or renting an appartment.

East coast is gorgeous, but one warning - all your "white goods" will need replacing on an annual basis due to the salt erosion which is unavoidable! Still, small price to pay for living in such a beautiful area!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 3:26 pm
Jane888uk

Exclamation Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Thanks for the quick response Piranha

We stayed in the South for Christmas - Dover Beach.
Time Out @ The Gap.....
My friend got married too!
The wedding took place at Sandy Bay.

In April we are staying just up the road at Rockley, it was all we
could get because of the Cricket!

I take it we go through the normal channels re: visas, but we
will just be looking in April.
We hope to come out on a more permanent basis later in the
year, all being well.

Bathsheba was one of my fav places along with Bottom Bay, but
as you say it might get a bit salty!

Thanx again
Jane

Last edited by Jane888uk; Jan 4th 2007 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jane888uk
Hi there,

Just had to get involved in this conversation.....
Just got back from Barbados after spending a great Christmas in the sun.
We are returning in April for a few more weeks...

I went with my daughter and we have both fallen in love with the island.
We now want to live there and hopefully find jobs out there too!

Does anybody know how long we can rent there, with the intention to buy
once we have decided which side of the island we prefer to live.

I was going to rent my property here in the UK, then rent over in
Barbados.
We know we cant work for now, but how long does it take to get a work permit? ( will we ever get one? )

I have worked @ Bournemouth Airport for fourteen years which includes
being Cabin Crew.
At the moment l work for Security there, but l am also a fully trained Masseuse.
My daughter wants to fly ( cabin crew ) but she has to wait a couple of years
as she has to be nineteen.

Would appreciate any knowledge

Thanks Jane
it should be fairly easy to get a job at Grantly Intl airport with any of the airlines with your experience at Bournemouth - they're recruiting quite often. As was said above to IP you only get 6 months max on a holiday stay - which is not a work situation visa - problem is getting a job with no visa ..... you need to prove you are their only suitable applicant and they can then apply for your visa as an employee - basically you have to make sure you are better suited to the job than any caricom visa holders who apply.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 4:36 pm
Jane888uk

Red face Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Thanks for that advice, fingers crossed then....
Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Darren D is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Hi folks, recently joined this site, so still finding my way around. Spent several weeks in Barbados last year after getting married in St Lucia. Me and my wife fell in love with the place, especially Barbados & would love to live & work there eventually. Interesting discussion above re my circs is i am a qualified Probation Officer & i noted some of the earlier comments re police, criminals returning from the USA etc. I have noticed that Barbados has a Probation Service and i believe a Criminal Justice System similar to us in the UK. Does anyone know if jobs in Probation/Police etc would be available to someone with my experience such like and if so how do you go about getting info and such like.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Darren D
I have noticed that Barbados has a Probation Service and i believe a Criminal Justice System similar to us in the UK. Does anyone know if jobs in Probation/Police etc would be available to someone with my experience such like and if so how do you go about getting info and such like.
I've sent you a little message about this!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

12ellie12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

I've just found this site after arriving back from Barbados for the first time on Saturday! I've been trawling the web to work out how I can get back and work for 6 months to see if I still feel the same way about Barbados (crazy for it!) and then I can make a decision about a permanent move. I'm pretty much the same as icklepirana- no ties etc but I will need a job to survive! I'm willing to do anything that would pay the rent but the sensible option would be to look for a job that I could potentially come back to. I'm a civil servant at the mo working in Education but I've worked in banking, insurance and mortgages and if necessary could be a qualified mortgage adviser ( ideally not this as it's not my job of choice!) I've read your ideas which has given me some hope but I'd really like to move quickly ( life is for living!) and get out there this year...any ideas or help would be gratefully recieved. PS I don't normally feel this way after a holiday- I keep having to explain this to everyone back home..it's not just post holiday blues!!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by 12ellie12
Hello everyone,

I've just found this site after arriving back from Barbados for the first time on Saturday! I've been trawling the web to work out how I can get back and work for 6 months to see if I still feel the same way about Barbados (crazy for it!) and then I can make a decision about a permanent move. I'm pretty much the same as icklepirana- no ties etc but I will need a job to survive! I'm willing to do anything that would pay the rent but the sensible option would be to look for a job that I could potentially come back to. I'm a civil servant at the mo working in Education but I've worked in banking, insurance and mortgages and if necessary could be a qualified mortgage adviser ( ideally not this as it's not my job of choice!) I've read your ideas which has given me some hope but I'd really like to move quickly ( life is for living!) and get out there this year...any ideas or help would be gratefully recieved. PS I don't normally feel this way after a holiday- I keep having to explain this to everyone back home..it's not just post holiday blues!!
well you've done things that barbados has many jobs in ... banking, insurance, mortgges and teaching. my advice - get a job in any of those to get you out there with a permit .... once you're working then you can change jobs as and when.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:07 pm
Jane888uk

Cool Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Hi there....

I know exactly what you mean, I spent Christmas in Barbados with my daughter - loved it!
So we are returning in April for some more of that relaxed island life!

We would also like to do a six month stay, just to make sure
we are not on an extended holiday fix...
Possibly looking at going out again in October until March 08.

But like you we would like to work there, but its not that easy.
When we go out in April we are going to see a solicitor to find out
exactly the right way about organising work legally. ( if its poss )

I have heard it can take up to two years, and in the meantime prove
you can support yourself financially until you get accepted.

Will keep you posted.
Jane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.