cost of living in barbados

Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: cost of living in barbados

Bajanboy-- I too shop at the open market beyond Pelican on Saturdays-- here's a breakdown of what I pay per pound for some items (BB$):

Tomatoes $2.50
Cauliflower $4.00
Sweet Peppers $3.00
Cucumbers $2.00-3.00
Eggs $11.50 for 21/2 Dozen

I spend $50.00 a week at the vegetable market for my husband and I, and our son who is a vegetable junkie.

In my mind there is really no reason to shop at SuperCentre-- the only things that I buy there are juices, milk, and oatmeal. Right now tomatoes at SC are about $16.00 a kilo which is absolutely ridiculous.

After living in NYC for as long as I did I am super conscientious about prices, and I still contend that one can live and eat quite well here in BB for very little.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

Hi Zanne:

I just looked at your blog and it is amazing the things you have growing at your house, and all in such a small area.

I tried to grow some tomatoes a while back, but just as the fruit started to develop, they developed black spots and rotted on the vine, and no one could tell me what to do.

You have inspired me to try planting once again.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Hey thanks, now you know my 2nd BB secret! I have so much going I hope to have enough to spend far less at the vegetable market. I have tons of herbs (as you can see) but now my peppers and tomatoes are starting to come in and also I have started cucumbers. I have been giving out lettuce as Xmas gifts! Now I have to work on the blog, I am behind!!! Let me know if you need any help getting started again...Cheers!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

MAGALO is an unknown quantity at this point

HI JOHN AND THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR PRECIOUS REPLIES
About the supercenter website, the prices are in barbadians dollars or american dollars ?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

The prices are in Barbados $.

Unlike other islands where people use US$ as well as the local currency, almost everyone who lives here uses Bds$ (although US$ are accepted everywhere). Therefore, prices are generally in Bds$ (except for duty free shopping, where items are priced in both currencies).

John
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

alemoize is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello.. I am new here... I have received a Job offer to relocate to Barbados. I am from Argentina and I am travelling with my wife.
I was wondering if any of you, can help to get a final approach on the cost of living in Barbados.

I wont have rent and car cost, since the company will take care for me.

So I guess my expenses would be:
1) Celular, 2) food, 3) internet, 4) electicity, 5) gas, 6) telephone line, 7) TV cable, 8) going out to dinner, 9) etc.

I would really appreciate your help.

Best rgds,
Alejandro
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Alejandro

Much of the information previously posted is still correct. However:

Cellular US$35 for 300 minutes
Food US$500 a month for two
Internet US$50 for 1.5 Mbps
Electricity US$0.22 per KWh
Gas: US$1.07 per litre
Telephone: US$20 - US$40 per month
Cable TV: US$30 - US$100 per month
Dinner: US$15 - US$200 per person

John
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Hello John, thank you for your reply.

We will probably go for first time, to see around, last week of jan or 1st of Feb.

Let me ask you a few more question:
* In some caribbean islands there is no electricity for a period of time during the day, is this also the case for Barbados?
* I read somewhere that the internet is not good at all, is this right?
* My wife speaks English but she would like to improve it, is there any english school there for my wife to practice and learn?

Thanks in advance.
Alejandro
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alemoize
Hello John, thank you for your reply.

* My wife speaks English but she would like to improve it, is there any english school there for my wife to practice and learn?

Thanks in advance.
Alejandro
Welcome - can't help with the schools....but I am keen to improve my long forgotten spanish (if your wife speaks spanish) and she can practice her English between coffee and a school lessons if she manages to find one.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Hello Rumswizz, thanks for your comment.

I found in Internet some language schools in Barbardos.

What about my other concerns: Can you help?
* In some caribbean islands there is no electricity for a period of time during the day, is this also the case for Barbados? Any electricity issues?
* I read somewhere that the internet is not good at all, is this right?

What other tips could you tell me about Barbados, for example: security, income taxes, etc?

I would really appreciate everybody comments.

Bet Regards,
Alex
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Electricity and internet are fine.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

You may get a few hours without electricity in a YEAR, so it is really quite reliable. The DSL service can take a while to work properly, but once it does, it is usually fine. It can be slow, however.

Not sure about English schools. You could check the Barbados Community College. They may have English and as Foreign Language courses. Their web site is:

http://www.bcc.edu.bb/

Feel free to give me call when you visit and we can get together. I have a property management / real estate company so I will be able to give you some advice in that area.

Kind regards

John Da Silva
(246) 253-1519
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

John, Thanks again for your feedback.
I will call you once I get to Barbados. I think during the first week of Feb.

If you think in anything else about Barbados I should know before going there. Please do let me know!

Thanks!
alex
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Alex, you asked about security and taxes.

I think Barbados is very safe. Generally, I feel very safe to walk around and never really think twice about my safety.

As far as taxes are concerned, your first Bds$25,000 is tax free and then the next $15,000 is taxed at 25% and the remaining income at 40%. Each year, the tax free allowance is going up, and the upper tax bracket is decining, so these figures could be incorrect.

I think you and your girl friend will have a great time in Barbados. She needs to find things to do otherwise she will get bored of the beaches and weather in no time.

John
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

John, You are totally right.

Do you know if there is any other tax (besides income tax) deducted from salary? I found this website ( http://www.barbados.gov.bb/ird/pages/Faq.htm ) which helped me, but doesn't say if there is any other tax.

I'll probably be in Barbados the first week of Feb.

Thanks once more time.

Alex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.