cost of living in barbados

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice
Default Re: cost of living in barbados

And yes, broadband is slow and overpriced here in Barbados. I make do (for most of the time quite well) with 512 Kbps and that costs Bds$99 (25 pounds). With much fanfare Tele Barbados landed a new fibre optic cable last year that connects Barbados to the rest of the world, and that was supposed to increase competition, but that has not happened.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

17green is an unknown quantity at this point

Though not related to the subject of this threat, does anybody know where I can get a second hand motorbike? cheers, george
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

There are a few bike shops in Barbados, so maybe they might have one. Your best bet, however, would be the classified in the Nation Newspaper. If you are coming from outside of Barbados, you could bring one in with you but be prepared to pay the taxes. If you are going to bring one in, make sure it is a brand that is sold in Barbados so you can get parts. Insurance on bikes is expensive and not easy to get. There are only a few companies that offer it (my wife used to ride a scooter).
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

bajangirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandmom
just re-iterating the others really -

its expensive to live, make sure you either get an allowance that covers the house cost or the house itself. Also get utilities paid (electric, water) as they are also VERY expensive.

As for a pool - think you may be hoping a bit much there - but you may get a house in a condo area and have a communal one.

Cars - wow! most expensive in the Caribbean pretty much and most people get theirs on finance as theres no way you can buy outright (I think they're 2 - 3 times the cost of UK).

Regular work permit entry restricts just you to work and your wife to be on temporary residency. Once the company pay for a long term residency for you and her (usual after 6months or a year) they may be able to review and re-apply for residency and work for her.

just remember - if shes caught working without a work visa you will be deported, immediately, and not allowed back.

School fees vary - 2 kids in senior school you'd be looking at $15,000 USD minimum per year for the 2 of them.

Its a great life, but I'd be asking no less than $120,000 USD for sure, plus car, house, utilities, medical costs, flight costs, relocation fees. and thats the minimum.
Hi. I'm new to this and I see that you write up things you know about barbados. Well I am a new Barbadian citizen (since March 2007) by descent and I have a few questions that maybe you could help me on. My husband and I are considering within the next 2 years to relocate to Barbados. We travel there every year since my mother is from there. The problem is that we have 3 children ages 10,6 and 2 and we would want to put them in private school. The next thing also is that my husband would have to apply to get his citizenship also and I am guessing a work permit too. He is an electrician and works on commercial and residential homes. Currently he is working as an electrician on trains. You probably have no idea how much an electrician is or should be payed in Barbados but do you know of any places he could try applying at that pays a good salary. And what should be the lease salary he ask for with a family of 5? I know how expensive Barbados can be and with 3 children I need to know we are going into this without worry.

Thanks so much
Bajangirl
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Bajangirl:

He should set himself up as a contractor. He would make far more money that way. How much money you need depends on your lifestyle. You could probably rent somewhere for $2000 a month ($1500 would be a minimum). School fees would depend on the school. Since you are a citizen, public schools would be free and they are good at the primary level (however, I have no kids so really should not comment on this).
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
Bajangirl:

He should set himself up as a contractor. He would make far more money that way. How much money you need depends on your lifestyle. You could probably rent somewhere for $2000 a month ($1500 would be a minimum). School fees would depend on the school. Since you are a citizen, public schools would be free and they are good at the primary level (however, I have no kids so really should not comment on this).
Thanks bajanboy. One more question if I may. My husband is not a Barbadian citizen yet. He must still fill out the forms and wait for some time before getting any answer back. Would he still have to get a work permit in Barbados to run his own business as you mentioned above "set himself up as a contractor". Or once he has his papers saying he is now a citizen would he not require a work permit. How much is a work permit if I may ask? Is it very expensive and is it something you only need to pay for once?
Thanks again .
Bajangirl from Montreal, Canada
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

I know it can take a while for spouses to get their work permit. Traditionally it takes longer for men marrying bajans. You should apply right away as if you are living here as it could take 1 year. In the meanwhile, he will need a work permit. Best to get advice from the immigration department or the Barbados High Commision in Toronto.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

I know it can take a while for spouses to get their work permit. Traditionally it takes longer for men marrying bajans. You should apply right away as if you are living here as it could take 1 year. In the meanwhile, he will need a work permit. Best to get advice from the immigration department or the Barbados High Commision in Toronto.
Thank you for the information. Have a good day.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

MAGALO is an unknown quantity at this point

HELLO EVERYBODY
I m french (so sorry for my english !!!). my husband have an opportunity to work in barbados during 2 years but before to take this decision we need to know more about the cost of living there...
i have read your emails but i don't understand very well the cost : is it in barbadians dollars , american dollars , pounds ???
so, is someone can tell me for one month, what is the cost for :
- rent a house for 2 adults and 2 children
- gas, power and water
- food for 4 people
- the school fee for a 4 years old child
- the price for a small car

in fact, we need to know the cost for living one month (2 adults and 2 children) in the barbardos

thank you so much
Old Dec 18th 2007, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Magalo:

Prices I quote are in US$.

Three bedroom house or apartment - US$1000 - US$4000. May be able to get somewhere for US$750.
Gasoline: US$1.23 per litre
Electricity: US$0.23 per KWh
Internet US$50 per month (1.5Kbps)
Telephone: US$20 - US$50 per month
Cell Phone: 300 minutes for US$35 per month

Food (2 adults and 2 children): US$1000 - US$2000 per month
New Toyota Yaris US$26000, New Toyota Corolla US$32000

Not sure on school fees, but lets say US$300 per month for day care/kindergarden.

Hope this info helps.

John
Old Dec 18th 2007, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

17green is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Magalo:

Three bedroom house or apartment - US$1000 - US$4000. May be able to get somewhere for US$750.

Not sure on school fees, but lets say US$300 per month for day care/kindergarden.

Hope this info helps.

John
To modestly retain in Barbados a middle glass life style of a family (of 4) living in France (not necessarily Paris) I estimate you need at least 4000 euros per month net family income.
george
Old Dec 19th 2007, 7:36 am
Just Joined

hI bAJANBOY

Thank you so much for your reply. It's help me a lot to have an idea of the needed income...

Hi Magalo:

Hope this info helps.

John
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi Magalo:

If you need any other advice, feel free to ask.

John
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:19 am
Just Joined

THANK YOU

In fact, i have another question : i have lived in gaboon during 2.5 years (i come back in France in 2005). In this african country, the cost of living was very expensive for every imported things (6 euros for a salad, 7 euros for cheese for example) but i arrived to buy local fruits, vegetables, fish and meat on the local market for a good price. Is it the same in Barbados ? Is there local production for fruit, vegetables, meat or this local products (if they exist) are very expensive too as the imported products ? i know in foreign country, you could very often find a way to save money on local markets but i don t know how is it on an island and more in an touristic island !!!!
another question !!! are the flights between the island (martinique, grenade...) expensive ?
and the last one !!! what about the insecurity in Barbados ?
thank you for your help
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Hi:

There is quite a bit of produce grown locally, but it is not very cheap. You can save money buying your produce at the local market (Cheapside market in Bridgetown on Saturday is the best for that), but it is not very cheap (maybe save 20% - 40%) compared to supermarkets. Government taxes lots of imported fruit and vegetables and the mark-ups at the supermarkets are also high.

If you want to see local food prices, go to www.supercentre.com.

Flying between the islands is also very expensive. There was a merger between the two main inter-island carriers, and after than flights became more expensive. Taxes, fee and airport taxes also add to the cost. The local departure tax is US$30 and that is included in the cost of the ticket.

To look at prices, go to http://www.fly-liat.com/.

I think Barbados is quite safe and there is virtually no where that you cannot go. There is much less crime than Jamaica and Trinidad, and even less than islands such as St. Lucia.

If you or your husband works for an international agency like the UN, EU, or a diplomatic mission etc, you should be able to get a car duty which will save you lots of money.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.