Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Citizenship of Barbados through marriage

Citizenship of Barbados through marriage

Old Jul 11th 2015, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Jen318206 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship of Barbados through marriage

Hi guys, this is my first post and I hope one of you can give me some helpful info. My husband and I were married in Barbados 2 1/2 years ago. We did try living there but because I couldn't work it became too expensive and so we decided to move to the UK. I had submitted all of my paperwork for citizenship before we left.
Every time I call to check what's happening with the application I just get told that we'll have to go for an interview at some point in the future, but no one will actually go and check my details, it's just a generic answer. They seem uninterested when I tell them we don't live there. I was recently asked 'Do you have your reside and work'. I said no, but I don't need it as we aren't planning on moving back just yet.
We are planning on visiting in a few months and we will have been married three years by then, so we can check in with Immigration whilst we're there. What I wanted to know was has anyone applied when living overseas? We aren't in any hurry as we are quite happy in the UK for now. I'd just hate to find out that we aren't eligible because we haven't lived there or something and have to start at the beginning again.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 6:24 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship of Barbados through marriage

I would have to say if they tell you that you have to leave here to get it, that would not be a correct answer, and if they tell you that you have to start over, again, not correct..

you may want to check in the the Barbados consulate in England and see if they can be of any assistance.. when you applied here, if it's been in the last 5 years, you should have been told about a reside and work, so that you could have worked while living here..
Old Jul 11th 2015, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Jen318206 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for your reply.
We were told about the work permit at the time of the application, however the time scale to receive it was approx 8 months. I know I'd be eligible for that if we went back and it's good for three years. It just seems pointless paying the $1000 for it at the moment since we aren't there and don't have any immediate plans to return. I guess what I'm trying to figure out (and the question I have asked Immigration, but they can't give me a straight answer) is does the fact I've not paid for this permit put the application for citizenship in hold? I've already paid the fees for that... I just don't want to find out in 2 years from now that I should have paid for the 3 year work permit, and have to wait another 3 years for the citizenship. I was hoping someone else may have got the citizenship whilst living overseas. Does that make sense?
Old Jul 12th 2015, 1:42 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I do not believe that you HAVE to have a Reside and Work (pay for it) to be considered for citizenship by marriage.. it is a very straight forward question to ask, but again.. do not think so.. there are people who go about the process of Citizenship for several reasons that are not located in Barbados.. you have the right, by marriage, to hold citizenship by marriage in Barbados.. it's in the Constitution.. and you seriously need to find someone who can answer that question.. I would start in the UK, even though you have already filed in Barbados..
Old Jul 12th 2015, 7:00 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the details for the BB high commission in london...https://barbados.visahq.co.uk/embassy/united-kingdom/

Call them and go through your case with them..as long as you have paid the processing fee then your case is under consideration...I know that the waiting time was up to 7 years to get invited to your interview...my only concern for you is that they usually write to a Barbados address to my knowledge and even that can go missing...ask the High Comission here if they can process your application as your living in the UK