Cayman or Barbados

Old Oct 16th 2015, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cayman or Barbados

Originally Posted by PrincessBananaHamock
I could be wrong but I heard as an expat working in the Cayman you can only stay up to 9 years and that's with an extension. I know of people who have worked there bought houses then left when their extension was not granted.
I've never been to the Cayman Islands but I know people who lived there and loved it.
Cayman has a "rollover" policy, intended to stop foreign workers living here for long enough (ten years) to be entitled to claim domicile under European human-rights law. After seven years, they must leave the island for at least 12 months; owning property here is not a factor. "Key" employees are sometimes - usually if their employers know people in high places - allowed to stay for an extra two years. The policy fits the local politicians' purpose of forcing employers to promote bloodline Caymanians regardless of ability.

We've lived here since 1978, and it's been a wonderful place to live. In 1986-88 I was Manager of the Chamber of Commerce, and involved in an extremely bitter fight with the politicians of the day over their intention to introduce a tax on incomes. We won the day by mobilising the populace, but the politicians made me the scapegoat and tried very hard to deport us. I had just enough bloodline-Caymanian friends in high places to frustrate the enemy, but it was hard going for some years and I became unemployable thereafter. Except for all that, Cayman has been a lovely, comfortable place for us - and for our son whom we brought up here from the age of two.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 9:28 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I know Cable and Wireless Employees who where forced to move to other islands because of that 7 year/9 year rule in Cayman.

Understand clearly that in Barbados you are also subject to a Work Permit, which is, in general, valid for 3 years.. there are exceptions for longer, but also for shorter. and just because you, or your employer gets you 1, doesn't mean the government is going to automatically renew that permit.. (sorry if this has already been said.. but I haven't read the entire thread.).
Old Oct 17th 2015, 1:19 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I am really fascinated by the cultural comments Princess was so right that BIM is the most british of the Caribbean islands....it is indeed a little England..however when I was in Cayman just like Gordon said for it me it lacked that caribbean element that I get when in Bim so Barbados has a nice balance between British and Caribbean...although I have a Caribbean spirit I am not sure that it would be at peace in Jamaica and it didn't seem at rest in St Lucia..having said that the one thing I really missed about the UK was the seasons...living on a hot island can be very much ground hog day where as in a seasonal country you do different things at different times of year and your energy.mood,interests,clothes,outlook etc can vary every 3 months
Old Oct 17th 2015, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Cayman used to be more "Little USA" than anything, but in recent years it's become more of a Little Jamaica - at least in some areas. The main difference between us and most of the Caribbean islands is our variety of expats. Two thirds of the populace are foreign-born, and from 80 or 100 different countries.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 2:51 am
Just Joined

HamSandwich is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the series of replies. Made for interesting reading. In the weeks since I started the thread, my company recently made me an offer so decision time is looming!

I'm trying to compare the cost of living in Barbados with Cayman in US$ and I've been on various 'cost of living' websites and had a trawl through some of the threads on here, but the figures tend to vary so I was wondering if someone could help and tell me:

1. Rent per month for a fairly decent, 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. I'm seeing figures of between US$800 and US$1,250. Would this be fair?
2. Utilities to heat aforementioned place per month? I have estimated US$200. Again, would this be fair? It includes internet at a mid level speed.
3. Food. I've estimated US$400 per month for 2 people.

I like to go out for beers and food about once a week. Suggesting drinks and a bite to eat at a reasonable restaurant, what sort of bill would I expect for 2 people?

Thanks again! I will be sure to update this as and when a decision is made.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

PrincessBananaHamock is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry I can't help you with an apartment cost I rent a 3 bedroom house but my power bill ranges between $200-$400 US a month that's for two of us. Water and I use a lot, is around $40 U.S. My landline and Internet I paid $70 U.S. This month I had a $3.40 international call lol.
My satellite tv is around $40us I think. Food we spend $200 U.S. Easily a week. But I buy good meat from a superb butcher and I buy good quality food some of it from home. This is my second island and no matter where you go you cannot compare the price to the UK. I was out yesterday and heard two Brits complain to a cashier because something was £7 so they put it back. They just sounded so rude. Inside I wanted to shout it is what it is get over it. Lol.
There are a lot of vegetable stalls about and there is a super fresh veg market at Cheapside in Bridgetown. The price of fruit and vegetables is ridiculously cheap at stalls and markets. So you can buy cheaply also there are chicken farms where you can buy the meat direct. Eggs too. There are ways of bypassing the supermarket without difficulty.

As for eating out there is a site here and I'm sorry I've forgotten it I'm hoping someone can give you the name. It involves a lot of restaurants and they do a deal $100$ a bottle of wine and a 3 course meal. On their site its says all the restaurants and there are some good ones.
I live in the North and go to the Limegrove a lot with my hubbie the two of us can eat there for $70 bajan but we don't tend to drink. I find alcohol and drinks not as expensive in restaurants as my last island. However buying alcohol in the supermarket is expensive compared to my last island but you know what as I've said before it is what it is and living here gives you so much more.
The other night though we went to a superb Japanese restaurant in Holetown the three of us my son is staying we ate two courses, my son and I didn't drink (2 bottles of sparkling water) Alcohol but my husband had about 5 beers from what I remember and the whole bill worked out at $180 U.S. The food was amazing and we were shocked that we got that for $60 each. We certainly wouldn't on our last island.
If you want any more information just ask if I don't know ill find out and don't worry if you think it's silly because it's a big deal moving to another country.
That's where people make the mistake they focus on sun and palm trees and don't cover the small details that can become a huge problem.

Last edited by PrincessBananaHamock; Nov 5th 2015 at 9:46 am.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

I thought I would update this thread. In the last couple of weeks I was made a formal offer and after much thought and research, I turned it down. No moving to Barbados!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:55 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

What were your deciding factors in saying no Hamsandwich?
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

First and foremost, I didn't feel the package I was offered reflected how much of a big job I would have once I got there. There were other factors too. My wife would have had to quit her job here in Cayman and start searching for a new job which wouldn't have paid the same given the income tax. She would have also needed a car and from I've read / seen, they are very expensive over there.

I did as much asking around as I could and it was very hard to find someone who had lived on both islands but I must be honest and say that 2 people did say they thought Cayman was nicer but their opinion of nice may differ from mine. I would have loved to taken a trip over and checked it out for myself but the company wouldn't pay for it without a commitment!! I might have come over and preferred it.

I did weigh up the cost of living here in Cayman to Barbados and found that based on rent, food, utilities, car fuel, dinner out, gym membership and a night out per month, it was around US$900 to US$1,000 per month cheaper in Barbados. Rents was the greatest difference.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

It seems a bit stingy of them not to fly you down there to look the place over. You may well be better off staying here. Good luck with it all.