British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Caricom Skilled National - Spouse work permit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/caricom-skilled-national-spouse-work-permit-896487/)

yellowsunset May 8th 2017 3:09 pm

Caricom Skilled National - Spouse work permit

Good morning... not been on here for a looooong time but in case is useful for anyone - I discovered last year that spouses of caricom skilled nationals are now allowed to apply for a work permit - when my husband first sorted his paperwork I was only allowed to stay as a visitor and my passport was stamped for 4 years. Not sure when the rules changed but my stamp expired in December 2016 and I was allowed to apply for a work permit this time instead of an extension of stay. Extension of stay was $100, work permit was $300. It was a bit of a palaver and took 4 attempts at getting fingerprints and 5 trips so far to Immigration - I applied mid December and as of today - still not ready. In any case - this might be useful information for others. Cheers :)

Serendipidy May 8th 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Caricom Skilled National - Spouse work permit

Cheers sunset - hope all is good with you x

Sunniebgi May 10th 2017 2:38 am

that's great YellowSunset.. keep us posted..

yellowsunset May 19th 2017 5:52 pm

Hi... still waiting! I called for an update today as still not heard anything. The telephone numbers have changed since my initial application in December. The hand written telephone number from my last visit in April has reached a recorded message saying please try later - for the whole week. I googled immigration and found another number - called that and a delightful lady shouted at me that they don't provide information over the telephone and that I had to come in. I explained that I had been told to call before coming in as had already been twice previously and it wasn't ready. She shouted that they obviously don't know the procedure and hung up on me. I called again and asked her if she had hung up on me the first time! I heard a sucking teeth noise :) and then she said who did I want ... when I was put through... got through to a recorded message again! No reply to my emails either... it has been thoroughly frustrating so far as this process began in November 2016!

Sunniebgi May 20th 2017 4:58 pm

I'm sorry that has happened to you. and my suggestion would be.. write the time, the date and the conversation on a piece of paper.. I'd go to immigration and advise them that you have tried to call.. that the numbers had changed and that this was the conversation you had some someone over the phone when you finally did get a working number.

don't call again.. present yourself.. it's not fun, it's time consuming, but better to do it in person than have this happen again.