Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Barbados american/canadian physician?

Barbados american/canadian physician?

Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Afrique4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barbados american/canadian physician?

Hello!
We currently live in Toronto with our 4 kids. I grew up as an expat kid pretty much all around the world. My husband is a certified trained US and Canadian physician. I'm back to university. He works easy 14 hours/day, has to catch up on WE, is exhausted, we barely do much outdoors because we are not big fans of the cold (especially me...) and nice outdoor places are far from downtown Toronto. It's a huge city, taxes are out of this world, everything is expensive, and way too liberal for us. It all started as a joke years ago about moving somewhere else. I remember him saying "we should move to Barbados, buy a boat and offer snorkeling tours"...!!
Because I did move a lot, I took it seriously (not the boat part)! We looked at Texas because we like it vey much (people, landscape, medical field) as well as Barbados (my husband loves Barbados)and Antigua when we visited (yes was very short with tourist rosy glasses). I read lots of the threads on the forum. I saw some super negatives reviews, some positives...expensive for the most part.
So, can US /Canadian doctors have a chance to find a job? is the salary enough for a large family? someone said when the kids have enough with the beach or for teenagers it might be tricky to find activities. I lived a few years in Nigeria, the activities were pool, tennis, beach and the occasional arts and crafts after school, and oh boy I loved it. Are the kids/teenagers bored out of their mind?? how big is the "expat" community and how easily we can be friends with the locals?
If we do move, and the kids like the island, and want to go to university in Barbados, how is the level? could they find easily a job in north-America?
I think about all this since over 18 months!
My husband has a great job, we have a beautiful house, but we don't really enjoy life because of the stress of his job and the climate.
I keep changing my mind from Barbados, Antigua (he knows someone who taught at the medicine university which seems to be really good), or Texas (completely different I know, but seems more "safer" as on the mainland regarding schools and universities and island fever...)
Thank you for your help!! any input would be awesome!!
Oh and would I be able to do my master in psychology and for how much approximately??
thank you all!
Old Feb 21st 2018, 5:19 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barbados american/canadian physician?

Moving to Barbados isn't as easy as it might seem. If you or your husband are the offspring of a Barbados Born Citizen, you can apply for Citizenship by decent (you .. not your children). or.. have Caricom Citizenship (any other Caribbean Island that is a member of the Caricom group of islands, you can apply to live and work in Barbados (as a doctor, there are procedures to follow but it's easier than the alternative).

The alternative being.. if none of the above apply, you would have to be offered a position, and the company making the offer would have to apply for a work permit the position would have to basically be something no one else in Barbados can do and must be approved by Barbados Immigration. A work permit has a time limit validity on it.. sometimes 3 years, sometimes less or more.

US Trained physicians cannot always work in Barbados either. Canadian is more widely accepted but. you would need to check that out as well. (Same goes for being a lawyer etc.. The system of Law is more based on the British system, not the US, thus the difference).. as for medical practices, this is something you would need to find out..

but the first thing is the job, then the work permit (which actually they should have the work permit based on the job , not the person that is being hired.)

While it is a lovely thought, it's just not as easy as it sounds. The other thing to consider as well. It is expensive and becoming more so ever day.. Rents are not cheap. Schooling as well.. it's a great system of education for the most part but will be different than you are used to.. There are private schools as well as government run schools.. both will have tuition costs for non-Barbadians, so you would need to decide on that.
Cars, appliances, furniture etc.. are not cheap.. and flights from the island to other countries (like Canada or the US) will be more expensive then you purchasing a ticket and flying here for a holiday).

you can check the webpage for The University of the West Indies, Cave Hill campus to see what they offer in terms of Masters Programs..

and the last thing is. we have a huge amount of Doctors on the island and training new ones every day. there is a Medical School as part of UWI Cave Hill (Barbados) and Mona Campus (Jamaica)

some people don't like my straight forwardness on this subject.. but.. it has to be said..
Old Feb 25th 2018, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
The alternative being.. if none of the above apply, you would have to be offered a position, and the company making the offer would have to apply for a work permit the position would have to basically be something no one else in Barbados can do and must be approved by Barbados Immigration. A work permit has a time limit validity on it.. sometimes 3 years, sometimes less or more.

...but the first thing is the job, then the work permit (which actually they should have the work permit based on the job , not the person that is being hired.)
Writing from a different island... Let me just say that it's a common misconception about Caribbean islands, that they all welcome immigrants who would like to "relocate" without jobs lined up. Commonly, immigrants are permitted to work under indentured-service contracts, where "Work Permits" are issued to employers, not employees - those employers having previously proven to the authorities that there are no local applicants who could do the relevant jobs.

Oh, and UK applicants without local family-connections get no priority in British colonies past or present. That's worth bearing in mind, too.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Many of our fellow countrymen have not quite picked up on "The End of Empire" Usually the same ones that think after BREXIT Queen Victoria will be back on the throne and our gunboats will take care of any troublesome foreigners.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 1:28 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a number of amusing conversations on ‘empire...’

A bajan/barbadian once explained how everyone hated everyone there, and they often just didnt mix, white british expats, white bajans, light [red skinned?] bajans, dark bajans, african bajans, asian bajans, just like everywhere i guess. I had heard there were tensions.

Here, we have the same, though possibly simpler - just the lighter vs darker strangeness, not much evidence of a british empire complex by now, but the americans are maybe 50% hated, given they decided to invade the island, not surprising i guess. Conversely cubans are much appreciated for their ongoing help / co-operation efforts, and the chinese also have a following - they provide much practical assistance.

The previous poster was right that its people abroad who havent got it, a grenadian born but british living relative was being driven into town by me, when he started laughing. After much cajoling he said it was because people would be seeing a white man driving a black man - in 2017 - i was amazed - any local would think he was nuts.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Feb 26th 2018 at 1:32 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
A bajan/barbadian once explained how everyone hated everyone there, and they often just didnt mix, white british expats, white bajans, light [red skinned?] bajans, dark bajans, african bajans, asian bajans, just like everywhere i guess. I had heard there were tensions.

Here, we have the same, though possibly simpler - just the lighter vs darker strangeness, not much evidence of a british empire complex by now, but the americans are maybe 50% hated, given they decided to invade the island, not surprising i guess. Conversely cubans are much appreciated for their ongoing help / co-operation efforts, and the chinese also have a following - they provide much practical assistance.
The only serious tension we have here in Cayman - and we're not the only Caribbean island in this regard - is between bloodline Caymanians and foreign residents. We're all lumped together under the title "expats", and our solidarity with each other wholly supersedes all colour/education/language differences among us. Our common enemy is the hostile anti-foreigner "immigration" laws and their enforcers. Is Barbados's society split anything like this?
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

slainteva is an unknown quantity at this point

I know of a Canadian diplomat who was posted to Barbados.
Her husband, a family physician with a successful practice in Canada, decided to join her. He was confident that he would find a job, especially as there is a bi-lateral agreement between Canada and Barbados, where diplomatic spouses get work permits (IF they are offered a job).
He was unable to find anything while living there for about 18 months.
He eventually offered to volunteer at the prison, but was told that a Bajan could do that (however, none were).

However my brother, who lives in the UK, was offered an IT position in Barbados with a financial company (UK HQ, Barbados office).

Other than through a local personal contact, the best way for an expat to get a professional position in Barbados is to be recruited by a foreign company with some sort of local presence. And other sources have confirmed this.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:39 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

One thing barbados does have is a sizeable clinical transcription business[s] working for the uk america and elsewhere [they receive digital voice files, type them up, check clinical wording and return] who might well use a clinician in some way, another avenue to explore? Used to use them in the nhs till cheaper eu alternatives emerged.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Hello,
thanks to all of you for your time. It is greatly appreciated and very useful. It really helped us to look at it much more realistically.
I quite didn't get the thing about the empire...I am not British. And I lived in 12 different countries before I was 18 so I am clearly not into all this superiority concept. I do not understand how the subject came because I do not recall implying anything as such.
Regardless, thanks everyone for your time!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Afrique4
I quite didn't get the thing about the empire...I am not British. I do not understand how the subject came because I do not recall implying anything as such.
Well, mine was a general comment just in case it was relevant. And, after all, this is the British Expats site, so...!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

You are indeed right. My apologies. There are not a lot of expats websites for Barbados or the other islands, that's how I came to post on this one.
Regards.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 12:14 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Afrique4.. don't worry about the British Expats and the Empire.. I'm an American but have lived here, married to a Barbadian, for 25 years.. what Gordon said in his first post about the unfortunate misconception that Caribbean island would welcome anyone and everyone to come and work there.. The Work Permits issue is basically true. The Employer has to apply for the Work Permit once they find an employee who fits their bill.

Regarding Slainteva and the IT job. The following would have had to have happened:
The local arm of the UK company would have to have placed a "Help Wanted" advert with the job description in the local papers"
then a "having found no suitable applicant" Notice of Work Permit application placed after that.. and giving anyone who felt they could object to the use of a work permit time to go to government.
and then the job filled (it usually is before the first help wanted advert was ever placed the first time. but it's the requirements on how it has to be done..
and i've seen Job descriptions that honestly are waaayyy over the top in what the person needs to have to be employed..

and I don't think there was anyone trying to assume there was any superiority concept on anyone's part..

I personally am just trying to make it easier for you. .. and others.. to understand what will and can happen when you start waiting to move to the islands.. some will accept right away.. others will not.. Barbados , at the moment, doesn't have an expat/immigrant friendly way of doing things.. and even if the government changes.. this likely will not change so much with it..
Old Mar 1st 2018, 1:33 am
Just Joined

No problem and i truly appreciate and value your honesty. I don’t see the point of making things look easier than they are. At least we know because of all the answer that finding a job as a physician is rare, and life is super expensive, not to mention immigration’s issues.
Thanks
Regards
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The USA does not extend a welcome to all-comers. Why should Barbados ?
Old Mar 8th 2018, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Janine1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck on your journey
They do have International jobs check international charities and so on.
Barbados does have opportunity But if your parents are not from Barbados by descent then it becomes very difficult.
Anything is possible don't give up your dreams.
Just really look into it and the way that works for you.
My friends have done it why can't you
Good luck x

Originally Posted by Afrique4
Hello!
We currently live in Toronto with our 4 kids. I grew up as an expat kid pretty much all around the world. My husband is a certified trained US and Canadian physician. I'm back to university. He works easy 14 hours/day, has to catch up on WE, is exhausted, we barely do much outdoors because we are not big fans of the cold (especially me...) and nice outdoor places are far from downtown Toronto. It's a huge city, taxes are out of this world, everything is expensive, and way too liberal for us. It all started as a joke years ago about moving somewhere else. I remember him saying "we should move to Barbados, buy a boat and offer snorkeling tours"...!!
Because I did move a lot, I took it seriously (not the boat part)! We looked at Texas because we like it vey much (people, landscape, medical field) as well as Barbados (my husband loves Barbados)and Antigua when we visited (yes was very short with tourist rosy glasses). I read lots of the threads on the forum. I saw some super negatives reviews, some positives...expensive for the most part.
So, can US /Canadian doctors have a chance to find a job? is the salary enough for a large family? someone said when the kids have enough with the beach or for teenagers it might be tricky to find activities. I lived a few years in Nigeria, the activities were pool, tennis, beach and the occasional arts and crafts after school, and oh boy I loved it. Are the kids/teenagers bored out of their mind?? how big is the "expat" community and how easily we can be friends with the locals?
If we do move, and the kids like the island, and want to go to university in Barbados, how is the level? could they find easily a job in north-America?
I think about all this since over 18 months!
My husband has a great job, we have a beautiful house, but we don't really enjoy life because of the stress of his job and the climate.
I keep changing my mind from Barbados, Antigua (he knows someone who taught at the medicine university which seems to be really good), or Texas (completely different I know, but seems more "safer" as on the mainland regarding schools and universities and island fever...)
Thank you for your help!! any input would be awesome!!
Oh and would I be able to do my master in psychology and for how much approximately??
thank you all!