Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Bajan Immigration Experiences

Bajan Immigration Experiences

Old Oct 1st 2015, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

MISSYBDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bajan Immigration Experiences

Hello all,

Just wondering who has had any experiences with the Immigration Department recently and if they have been positive, negative or other?!

Am interested to hear any input, especially with regards to issues such as applying for citizenship/work & reside etc.

Thanks alot.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bajan Immigration Experiences

I think the system and people at Immigration has become a good deal more "customer focused" recently.. Previously it was a mess and a lot (but not all) of the staff were, on average, fairly short with people coming in.

However, the system itself is still a bit of a mess. I have a citizenship application in - I have been waiting for 4 years up to this point. I did get a reside and work permit that lasted three years so that was good. When that ran out I went along to get it renewed... and ended up with a six month visitor stamp! When I questioned this I was told that was the way things work.. and if I had an issue with the visitor bit then I could apply for a work permit.. as if someone who had given me a job on the basis of my initial status would always be able to manage that.

It is not a problem for me.. but could be for some people... Maybe they do it that way to weed out some applications.. who knows...

Basically I think you have to simply work your way through the system and let it work itself out..... as I said earlier more of the staff are a lot more helpful now so it isn't so bad...
Old Oct 1st 2015, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian, that is good to hear as I embark on my own journey
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Bentham is an unknown quantity at this point

The experience is mixed. Once was even refused to be let in because I was in shorts (knee-high). Student's visa submission in September, the visa - at the end of November, expired in August, reapplied the last August, still waiting. The work permit was issued three months after the application. Once inside the building it does not take long, but getting a visa is a different story. Not talking that these are the most expensive visas that I have had in my life.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 9:56 am
Just Joined

What about letter sending?

Waiting on one at the moment!
Old Oct 4th 2015, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Bentham is an unknown quantity at this point

What letter are you talking about?