Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Attorney interested in moving to and working in Barbados

Attorney interested in moving to and working in Barbados

Old Mar 14th 2015, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

bajan_perspective is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Attorney interested in moving to and working in Barbados

Hello:

I was born in England and now reside in the U.S. I'm contemplating moving to Barbados. My parents are Bajan and I plan to find out how to secure citizenship by descent. I'm an attorney and am told that if I want to continue practicing law, I'd have to attend one of the Caribbean law school for six months to be certified. Today, I was looking for legal jobs overseas and wondered if there was any way I could perhaps work in a law firm or corporation in the capacity of a highly trained paralegal, at least until I started law school. I'm a commercial litigator and I went to law school and have worked in the U.S. for eighteen years. I initially thought I couldn't work at all, but I had this idea and thought I'd ask the forum.

Any insights would be most helpful and appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 1:36 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attorney interested in moving to and working in Barbados

Welcome to the forum. the easy part will be obtaining your Barbados Citizenship by decent.. as long as you have the proper documentation and applying, this shouldn't be an issue.

The hardpart is allowing your US Law degree or experience and it translating to working in the Caribbean. (it never ceases to amaze me that in this day and age this still happens.). Had you been trained and worked in the UK, you would be well a head of this game.

I would possibly strongly recommend that you pick a name out of the phone book , preferable a larger law firm in Barbados. and contact them about the requirements etc.. Unless someone on this forum has the exact answers, we wouldn't want to give you a yes, when the answer might be no.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Sunniebgi:

Thank you so much for the suggestion, it's quite brilliant! I plan to be in Barbados in mid July so I'll contact the firms now and arrange informational interviews when I'm in Barbados, the worst they can do is refuse my request for a meeting. As I always say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Thanks so much again.

b_p
Old Mar 15th 2015, 1:24 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to remember the name of my lawyer at Alpha Omega - I think it was Felicia - she is a lovely lady and might be able to answer your questions for you if you mention me..Ill look through my info if I remember and PM you the details

Good Luck

Dips
Old Mar 15th 2015, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Dips:

An actual contact would be wonderful!

Thanks so much, I truly appreciate it.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 2:22 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I have PM you the info..she was always generous with her time and I hope if she can she will be happy to offer advice

Dips
Old Mar 15th 2015, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Dips:

I got it and sent a PM response. I'll keep you posted on my progress!

b_p
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Pasty is an unknown quantity at this point

If I were you I would stay where you are and just go to Barbados for holidays. It is a very weird and difficult Country to live in.