When does it feel worth it?

Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does it feel worth it?

I think a year is probably a decent amount of time. When I move back I hope its' permanent but I know I am going to experience a slew of emotions that one can't prepare for. I will miss a lot here in the U.S but I also have a lot of "good" in the U.K..
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

Familiarity is comforting - that's what I surprised myself by thinking on returning to Canada from being home in the UK for a holiday a few years ago - and I was referring to the area around my home in Canada!

Even though I have lived in Canada for 30 years, I have been constantly homesick for the UK/Europe (while at the same time wishing that I could be happy and willing to 'let go' of those feelings and let myself be content with my lot). So, even though I have said that upping sticks and moving home to the UK would be fabulous, I can well imagine how it may not be so easy and understand the qualms around the whole transfer. Wish I could be there to help out, driving newcomers around to the various things they have to do when they land, etc.!

Hopefully the new surroundings will become familiar to you soon, and so you will feel comfortable!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

I think it's good counsel to take a trip back to where you came from about a year after you move... just to put your mind at ease. Make sure to take off those rose coloured glasses first though... really look. Because though our move is a few months away *GASP!* I really am going into this knowing that there are some great things about Canada. And great things about the UK. Bad things about Canada. And bad things about the UK. I want to try to keep emotions in check when I look longingly forwards OR backwards... that's part of why I'm blogging this journey, so when those wobbles hit, I can look back and reminds myself, "oh ya, THIS is why we did this"

I'll keep you in my prayers CalgaryPete and hope the unsettled feelings pass quickly.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

This month marks the two year anniversary of returning to the UK after 30 years in the US. The first year was full of negatives, the negatives are still there. As the time has gone by I thought I would get over these feelings, but that is not the case. My American wife and I have to decide whether or not to pursue the mandated (ILR) we have until December to get this done if we intend to stay otherwise I don't know what complications will ensue, perhaps some on this forum could explain.

Just to complicate my feelings we are going back to the US in October for seven weeks, I feel that this visit will only make me feel worse. I'm not going into detail of the negatives of this country, there are to many. I know certain posters would just love to berate me.

John
Old Sep 14th 2014, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I would very much like to hear your views and would be disappointed if anyone posted inappropriately because of it. go for it
Old Sep 14th 2014, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
I would very much like to hear your views and would be disappointed if anyone posted inappropriately because of it. go for it
So would I.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to hear all the negatives too. I am returning in October. I have made up my mind. Not because I do not like the U.S but because I just can't financially make it here. I do not blame anyone but myself. I should have gone to school, got a degree etc but guess I was old fashioned thinking my spouse should!! I have always worked though but retail and with no health insurance and some health issues I can't afford to live here. I know it will be an adjustment, a huge one! I am looking at spare room and have e mailed a few of the folks on there as I will have enough money for a few months until I get on my feet.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

London1947 I too would like to hear more detail. It's one of the reasons why I joined the forum. We have decided we are going back. Hearing the good and bad helps in preparing for this crazy journey.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
This month marks the two year anniversary of returning to the UK after 30 years in the US. The first year was full of negatives, the negatives are still there. As the time has gone by I thought I would get over these feelings, but that is not the case. My American wife and I have to decide whether or not to pursue the mandated (ILR) we have until December to get this done if we intend to stay otherwise I don't know what complications will ensue, perhaps some on this forum could explain.

Just to complicate my feelings we are going back to the US in October for seven weeks, I feel that this visit will only make me feel worse. I'm not going into detail of the negatives of this country, there are to many. I know certain posters would just love to berate me.

John
Perhaps you could open a new thread airing your views. I will keep an eye on the thread...plus you can always hit the report post tab if you feel some are going over the top with their comments.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

John
John, I too would like to hear your negatives, we are at a cross roads right now with OH not wanting to return and me also having doubts especially with the world in the state it is in with Ukraine and Isis and the lovely summer we have had, not to mention we cannot sell our house! About ILR my advice would be to definitely go for it and I think your wife can naturalise if you have been married for a long time? Once she is British you can then relax regarding all these rules and regulations with immigration. Getting citizenship was my biggest regret because I had ILR and if we waited another year I would have had my citizenship sorted out and been duel like my OH.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

BTW Calgary Pete you still there? How are you getting along?
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:27 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
I would love to hear all the negatives too. I am returning in October. I have made up my mind. Not because I do not like the U.S but because I just can't financially make it here. I do not blame anyone but myself. I should have gone to school, got a degree etc but guess I was old fashioned thinking my spouse should!! I have always worked though but retail and with no health insurance and some health issues I can't afford to live here. I know it will be an adjustment, a huge one! I am looking at spare room and have e mailed a few of the folks on there as I will have enough money for a few months until I get on my feet.
There are negatives of course in all countries, we are finding very very few here. One my wife commented on was small parking spaces which can be annoying but they vary a lot. Like most others we have found the positives far outweigh any negatives but that can come down to attitude as well. Its always an adjustment and the first year for us was one of adjusting to differences but much of that was finding products that were similar to ones we had come accustomed to.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Chris955, I have to say, I love your "balanced and impartial" posts. I agree... it all comes downt to attitude. My Hunny heads over the pond in three weeks, and the kids and I are to follow when he's got a place for us to live. It's easier for us, I think because we've sold our house already and have the money from the sale as a safety net, PLUS we are all British citizens, so there isn't anyone holding our money hostage for a prescribed amount of time, and (theoretically - as they are not pleased with our decision, they think we're mad) we have family over the pond too.

I think there are a lot of people in every country who are negative, and we're more of the "accentuate the positive" kinda folk ourselves.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Chris955, I have to say, I love your "balanced and impartial" posts. I agree... it all comes downt to attitude. My Hunny heads over the pond in three weeks, and the kids and I are to follow when he's got a place for us to live. It's easier for us, I think because we've sold our house already and have the money from the sale as a safety net, PLUS we are all British citizens, so there isn't anyone holding our money hostage for a prescribed amount of time, and (theoretically - as they are not pleased with our decision, they think we're mad) we have family over the pond too.

I think there are a lot of people in every country who are negative, and we're more of the "accentuate the positive" kinda folk ourselves.
Thank you, not everyone appreciates my positivity but I can live with that.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

John
John, this is the 'Back Home' forum and it's inevitable that most of the posts are from people who are delighted to be 'home' again. That doesn't matter, you're entitled to express your point of view too, and several people have already said they're interested, so go for it.

I understand how you feel, and this whole topic is subjective. I think it mainly depends on why people emigrated in the first place, their expectations and experiences, and their reasons for wanting to return. I also assume that there must be thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people who are perfectly happy in their new homes, have never heard of BE, and don't have any reason to post here anyway.

I was born and grew up in the UK (Scottish father and South African mother), lived in Hong Kong for a few years after I graduated, and emigrated to SA in 1980. My wife decided to return in 2006 - for personal reasons that I'm not going to go into - but I stayed. She persuaded me to come back in 2009 and I've been splitting my time between the two countries since then, but my heart sinks every time I get on a plane in Joburg.

Why? Both my kids (and my grandson) live in SA. They were born there, enjoy the lifestyle, and have no desire to leave. I love Africa, warts and all. The space; big skies; sun/heat and crackling cold, dry, winter nights on the highveld; the bush, mountains and coast; the people; my friends, somewhat laid back life and even the edginess of Joburg.

I have nothing but respect for people who decide that emigrating was a mistake, and come back to the UK. It takes courage to admit that you made a mistake and go through the process of starting again in this country, but it's not for me.

The final chapter of this story is about to be written. My wife has decided she wants to go 'home', back to SA...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.