We're home!

Old May 26th 2014, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: We're home!

Good Luck with job hunting.It may take some time. Try not to get impatient.(of the reasons I returned and I do regret it). I am sure you will miss some aspects of NZ, but glad you are getting settled and your daughter is also happy.
Old May 26th 2014, 11:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey! The snow is back on The Ranges with a vengeance today. It's bitter out of the sun and my house will remain freezing until I shut the doors/windows & light the wood burner.

Happy English summertime to you.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 6:22 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning everyone. I hope everyone is ok.

I just wanted to share some information around mortgages. We went to see an independent mortgage adviser yesterday to see what our options are. We based our circumstances on hubby being the only one working full-time. It seems we will have no problem. Some things have changed with lending from the banks but it seems that alot of the changes are positive ones for us returning brits!

1. There is no longer the need for 3 months pay slips to prove employment
history. A few of the major lenders (Natwest, Santandare and Halifax) do
not need employment history. They do however need a contract or a
letter confirming your job offer and stating your earnings. A start date is
needed too.

2. You do need to provide 3 months bank statements so the lender can see
your monthly outgoings. It may be best to arrange this so you can bring
them home with you. It is easier if you kept a bank account in the UK, we
did, but it didn't show our monthly outgoings as we had a NZ bank
account.

3. Get onto the electoral role as soon as you can after arriving in the UK as
this also helps. Register with doctor, dentist and tax office too.

4. She gave us a very low credit rating as we have lived away and have no
UK credit cards or loans and we still had the major lenders agreeing to
lend us the money.

5. We own a home which we rent out and have kept that totally seperate
from the mortgage.

6. If you have a deposit to put down it is also easier if that money is already
in the UK when you go for a mortgage.

We have only enquired about a small mortgage but were told that on Hubbys expected earnings of £25,000 we can borrow up to £100,000. If I had a part-time job and earned around £13,000 to £15,000 we can both borrow up to £160,000. Despite what you hear on the news about property prices in the UK it is not that bad. The price increases are contained in the South as usual. Here up North there are lots of good properties that are very affordable. I have noticed that the houses sell alot quicker now but prices here have not gone crazy. I hope this information has helped a few people. I appreciate that every situation is different.

We are all doing well. Still pleased to be home. Hubby has a job interview today and his old boss rang him on Tuesday about a possible return to his old company. I have an interview in the next 3 weeks. It is a counselling job so fingers crossed. Im not very lucky when it comes to jobs as a few of you are aware so Im not building my hopes up.

I will keep on sharing any information I receive and I hope it is useful. Keep smiling folks.

Last edited by pippalonghorn; Jun 6th 2014 at 6:25 am.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn

I just wanted to share some information around mortgages. We went to see an independent mortgage adviser yesterday to see what our options are. We based our circumstances on hubby being the only one working full-time. It seems we will have no problem. Some things have changed with lending from the banks but it seems that alot of the changes are positive ones for us returning brits!

needed too.

account.

lend us the money.

from the mortgage.

We have only enquired about a small mortgage but were told that on Hubbys expected earnings of £25,000 we can borrow up to £100,000. If I had a part-time job and earned around £13,000 to £15,000 we can both borrow up to £160,000. Despite what you hear on the news about property prices in the UK it is not that bad. The price increases are contained in the South as usual. Here up North there are lots of good properties that are very affordable. I have noticed that the houses sell alot quicker now but prices here have not gone crazy. I hope this information has helped a few people. I appreciate that every situation is different.

We are all doing well. Still pleased to be home. Hubby has a job interview today and his old boss rang him on Tuesday about a possible return to his old company. I have an interview in the next 3 weeks. It is a counselling job so fingers crossed. Im not very lucky when it comes to jobs as a few of you are aware so Im not building my hopes up.

I will keep on sharing any information I receive and I hope it is useful. Keep smiling folks.
That is such good news! It sounds as if you are all settling in well. I am happy for you.

Maybe it doesn't apply to you, but have you experienced any sort of age barrier to getting a mortgage in the UK?

What sort of deposit do the mortgage companies want?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

needed too.

account.

lend us the money.

from the mortgage.

What a lovely, helpful post - that info will help a lot of people

Good luck to you and your husband with your job interviews.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:02 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Windsong. I did'nt ask about the percentage needed for the deposit but I can find out. We also came across no age barrier. The banks I mentioned required that the mortgage would be paid off by the time we were 75 years old. That was the only age requirement we came across.

Their way of lending has changed since we last had a mortgage. They ask you what you want to borrow and then what you can afford to pay monthly. The length of the mortgage is worked out from there. So if we borrowed £80,000 and could repay say £500 a month, then the repayment term would be less than the standard term. I prefer it this way as we would like to pay our mortgage off quicker if possible. If you decided to have a fixed mortgage for the first few years then you are only allowed to pay off an additional 10% of the amount each year. After the fixed term you can pay it all off in one lump sum and have no penalties to pay. It certainly is more flexible than when we got our first mortgage together.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 9:07 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as you already have property is that maybe why they are so keen to loan? they could be taking that as equity??
Old Jun 7th 2014, 10:08 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
as you already have property is that maybe why they are so keen to loan? they could be taking that as equity??
We made sure that our other home is not included in our mortgage. We did not want any connection. We could re-mortgage that property for the money for our new one but we chose not to. We haven't included our rent money in our income budget either. The mortgage adviser did actually say that having another home is not always a positive because if the tenants moved out then we would have extra bills to pay. Hopefully that won't happen.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Deley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pippalonghorn,
Thank you for your information about mortgages, really helpful stuff, so very much appreciated.
We are looking at returning from New Zealand and eager to buy once we get back and settled. Trying to get our heads around giving up a job here in NZ without having job in the UK to go to! Also leaving family here is giving us those last minute jitters and second questioning our decisions. I guess that's normal though.
Its good to read your updates. Good luck with everything.
Thank you
Old Jun 9th 2014, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am still looking for a job and I am applying for everything (well not pole dancing as that would not be a nice thing to watch).

Thanks for posting the updates, look forward to more as and when you can. Good luck on the job front too, I'm sure pole dancing won't be necessary but think how fit you'd get! There's always a silver lining...!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Great to see your updates. I must admit to having had a few meltdowns but only really when I was here without hubby.

I haven't had any regrets as yet.

Our house is finally getting sorted and hopefully hubby will have some success with jobs soon. Like you say it's easy to get impatient but he has only been here for 3 weeks so far. I can't believe I am now in my 6th month already - time has flown.

Keep us posted.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

needed too.

account.

lend us the money.

from the mortgage.

This is great news i just went through getting and expats mortgage and they offered me half what i wanted due to age, and made me a do joint application.
im now worried there searches will affect my credit record there.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

Hi Windsong. I did'nt ask about the percentage needed for the deposit but I can find out. We also came across no age barrier. The banks I mentioned required that the mortgage would be paid off by the time we were 75 years old. That was the only age requirement we came across.

Their way of lending has changed since we last had a mortgage. They ask you what you want to borrow and then what you can afford to pay monthly. The length of the mortgage is worked out from there. So if we borrowed £80,000 and could repay say £500 a month, then the repayment term would be less than the standard term. I prefer it this way as we would like to pay our mortgage off quicker if possible. If you decided to have a fixed mortgage for the first few years then you are only allowed to pay off an additional 10% of the amount each year. After the fixed term you can pay it all off in one lump sum and have no penalties to pay. It certainly is more flexible than when we got our first mortgage together.
from my research It depends a lot on the deposit you have with the best rates start at 60% LVR and for that you start getting the higher overpayment rates. your income can also help
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

Happy English summertime to you.
The English summertime has been quite lovely of late.......and in the bright sunshine under hazy blue skies this part of England.......on the borderline between the Cotswold Hills, the Severn Valley and the Malvern Hills in the distance ...

....the spectacularly lovely countryside has looked so amazingly green (remember all that winter rain - now it is reaping its benefits big time - so green and lush with all the leaves in full display) and of course all the lovely blossoms in the orchards of the Severn Valley and nearby Herefordshire where my grandparents live near Ledbury where the world famous Poetry Festival is soon to open.......my partner and I have book to go and see ...and hear...the lovely Juliet Stevenson.

This gorgeous taste of summer here....25C yesterday......has only briefly been interrupted by thunderstorms...they do not last all that long but it really seems to me, as an exiled Scot.... that the thunderstorms down here in this part of England are noticeably louder in terms of thunderclaps and more vivid in terms of lightning bolts and flashes, but it might just be my imagination, not really sure...I do know they are more frequent down here.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there Pippa, great to hear an update. It sounds idyllic, just turning the heating on and sitting by it, just because you can, swoon.
I've been so ill with pleurisy and bronchitis, and I'm beginning to think it's the bloody unhealthy Kiwi housing/offices that's at the root of it all. I have never had anything like this in my life and now I've had it twice in one year.

I do miss central heating, please could you post some photos of radiators when you have a mo, (or are just bored stiff one day,) along with a picture of a loaf of Warburton's bread, lol, yes I've lost the plot.

Again, great to hear from you, (waves from Nz to the fading strains of Land of Hope and Glory, to the accompaniment of a hacking cough).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.