Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Weather in UK location relative to where you returned from

Weather in UK location relative to where you returned from

Old Dec 24th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weather in UK location relative to where you returned from

Admittedly the weather here in Dorset is actually not that wet, though it can be decidedly chilly at times but I'm wondering whether part of one's feeling of success in a move back relates to the climate in the area of the UK one returns to relative to say the far more chilly/snowy parts of the US and Canada, for example. There is no question that in spite of the UK being a small country, there are huge variations in terms of weather conditions.

Personally, I do not relish hurricane season in the Caribbean but then the UK weather in summertime is pretty ideal so we have always come here to spend time in the summer, but I do not look forward to another winter in the UK and I haven't even seen January and February yet, typically by far the nicest weather in my part of the Caribbean.

I'm not saying that we are abandoning ship to return overseas but the original plan, in due course, of only summering here looks more and more likely. What the balance is I just don't know as the Caribbean doesn't 'work' for me other than on a short-term basis.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 1:22 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather in UK location relative to where you returned from

I spent January to March last winter in a small town in North Norfolk, the same town where we are now in the process of buying a flat so hope to spend even longer periods in the future.

Now, I'm no fan of hot weather. However, one day last February I was talking to my wife who was at home in Northern New York. Where I was in Norfolk it was ninety degrees Fahrenheit warmer than it was where she was.

In Norfolk, the spring bulbs were gradually pushing up and then flowering in the three months I was there, first the snowdrops, then the crocuses, then the daffodils. There was rain some days, but mostly overnight. I walked on the beach. Roses were in flower in one of the National Trust gardens I visited.

I left England in the spring, got back to the North Country still in the grip of winter ... Minus 20 F the day I got back. The snow and ice didn't start to shift till mid April.

Winters can be dull and blustery in southern England, but at least they aren't seven months long. And there are plants in flower twelve months of the year. In northern New York, apart from trees there are very few plants even visible above the snow. I actually hate snow, after twenty five of these winters...
Old Dec 26th 2014, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you Pete about the weather! I hate winter both here in Canada (we are in the mildest part) and UK and also plan to spend from next year Dec/Jan/Feb in Cape Town enjoying family and sunshine!

I believe that weather plays an important part of your life and some people must factor this into decisions.

What about rather moving to a Mediterranean Country where it is more bearable? You will still be close enough for easy commute?
Old Dec 26th 2014, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I hear you Pete about the weather! I hate winter both here in Canada (we are in the mildest part) and UK and also plan to spend from next year Dec/Jan/Feb in Cape Town enjoying family and sunshine!

I believe that weather plays an important part of your life and some people must factor this into decisions.

What about rather moving to a Mediterranean Country where it is more bearable? You will still be close enough for easy commute?
Well indeed that is a real possibility - more Portugal/Madeira/Tenerife than Mediterranean per se and there is a real chance of living cheaper than in the UK, at least in theory if self-catering, but we've already been through a bit of stress due to the instability associated with renting here, not for now, but for when we finish our current winter rental, due to supply issues and properly timing and charting the way forward just for our definite UK time, so I'm just not sure of exactly how we would rent there, pull up shop, move to the UK and then back there or somewhere else on the ticked list for the next winter 'season'.

I like my ducks in a row, I'm afraid, and am having difficulty conceptualising it all, what with medical etc.

There's also tax to consider. In order to get split year treatment here when you leave the UK well into a tax year you must:

become resident for tax purposes in that country within six months
be present in that country at the end of each day for six months, or
have your only home, or all your homes if you have more than one, in that country within six months

so there's proper planning to be done on an overall basis. I don't want to become tax resident somewhere else that actually has taxes to worry about.

I've already been advised that because my father was UK domiciled at my birth, when I returned, in spite of 38 years away, it can be argued that I have regained UK domicile, in spite of ultimate intent to return permanently overseas (at least for the most part), so I might not be able to use the remittance basis for taxation just for the time spent in the UK, which would have simplified things a bit.

Naturally I will continue to file the annual residence papers (sa109) with HMRC stipulating non-domicile but will pay taxes as a normal resident.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Dec 26th 2014 at 5:13 pm. Reason: I don't want to become tax resident somewhere else that actually has taxes to worry about.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I also think attitude toward weather has a lot to do with your personality and how you handle things. I lived in Los Angeles for 10 years before I moved back to Kent. I knew it would rain more (everywhere rains more than LA!!) but I was looking forward to having actual seasons. It also helps that I don't actually like hot weather and too much sunshine. I like being able to go out without having to wear sunglasses every day of the year or wearing SPF 100 so I don't look like a prune by the age of 50.

Yes January and February can be a bastard - but the second you see daffs and snowdrops you know spring will be here soon. Each season in the UK has its pluses. I love how green the UK is but I know that only comes with the constant rain so I throw on a rain mac and some wellies and try not to bitch too much!!!

Now I'm back in sunny LA, counting the days until I move back to Kent, lathered in SPF 100 on Boxing Day......horrible!
Old Dec 26th 2014, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britwhore
I also think attitude toward weather has a lot to do with your personality and how you handle things. I lived in Los Angeles for 10 years before I moved back to Kent. I knew it would rain more (everywhere rains more than LA!!) but I was looking forward to having actual seasons. It also helps that I don't actually like hot weather and too much sunshine. I like being able to go out without having to wear sunglasses every day of the year or wearing SPF 100 so I don't look like a prune by the age of 50.

Yes January and February can be a bastard - but the second you see daffs and snowdrops you know spring will be here soon. Each season in the UK has its pluses. I love how green the UK is but I know that only comes with the constant rain so I throw on a rain mac and some wellies and try not to bitch too much!!!

Now I'm back in sunny LA, counting the days until I move back to Kent, lathered in SPF 100 on Boxing Day......horrible!
Yep...our friends in England don't look any older 9 years on whereas we are leathery

I was made for the British climate but we're all different. I think it will figure highly in my kids' decisions on where to settle (they are drawn to the sunny climate).

Good luck!
Old Dec 28th 2014, 9:22 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

We chose the eastern side of Scotland as it gets less rain. After the blue skies of Alberta I was concerned that the grey skies would get to me. After 2 years, I am still happy with the local climate. I also like that it is green year round and I don't have to deal with the brown winters in Alberta. Also, I just love that I can enjoy the garden year round.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
We chose the eastern side of Scotland as it gets less rain. After the blue skies of Alberta I was concerned that the grey skies would get to me. After 2 years, I am still happy with the local climate. I also like that it is green year round and I don't have to deal with the brown winters in Alberta. Also, I just love that I can enjoy the garden year round.
Your comment had me going back over the Met Office actual rainfall for the last few years and it is clear that your area just north of the border on the east side is pretty similar to most of eastern England in terms of rainfall levels and therefore hugely different from most of the rest of Scotland with the possible exception of the wider area around Aberdeen.

If rain were indeed the issue, one can get 'ahead' of the rain, and get generally milder weather conditions due to the Gulf Stream, by settling, if so inclined, well west in spots such as North Cornwall and the Penzance area, and in Pembrokeshire and the Gower and Llyn peninsulas in Wales - none of them known to be hotbeds of employment, unfortunately.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Dec 28th 2014 at 11:12 am. Reason: and get generally milder weather conditions due to the Gulf Stream