Two Years To-day!

Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two Years To-day!

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Reading all the happy returnees stories (no, no need for you not to apologize for being happy) only makes me feel bad that I have not found my part of England to be all that marvelous. I tend not to come to BE all that much now for this reason.

Oh, there is a lot of good, the countryside is just as nice as it always was, there are some nice individuals and places, personally I am comfortably well off (through my own efforts overseas) - but when I look outside of myself and when I am not in the countryside I see a society that has a lot of problems and I am not impressed.

I can be / am happy here in UK if I ignore society but that is hard for me to do and it often intrudes unbidden.

Is the answer to escape to the UK countryside and live a sheltered independent life there away from society for most of the time?
I think that may be the answer. I'm realistic enough to know that while I am lucky enough to live in a decent place (semi-rural), I don't have to look far to see other people for whom life in the UK isn't great (I drive through an area called Possil every day).
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 9:15 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Reading all the happy returnees stories (no, no need for you not to apologize for being happy) only makes me feel bad that I have not found my part of England to be all that marvelous. I tend not to come to BE all that much now for this reason.

Oh, there is a lot of good, the countryside is just as nice as it always was, there are some nice individuals and places, personally I am comfortably well off (through my own efforts overseas) - but when I look outside of myself and when I am not in the countryside I see a society that has a lot of problems and I am not impressed.

I can be / am happy here in UK if I ignore society but that is hard for me to do and it often intrudes unbidden.

Is the answer to escape to the UK countryside and live a sheltered independent life there away from society for most of the time?
I think there are city people and country people and if one type finds themselves in the wrong environment then it's a recipe for disharmony.

Having now lived in both city and country environments I know for a fact that I feel much better about life away from the traffic and the grime and amongst fewer people who are less hurried about life.

I guess it stands to reason, the fewer people then the fewer problems associated with them.

I just hope the UK government doesn't increasingly seek to develop the British countryside.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 6:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

What are these problems in society? I really dont get it. I dont see anything I didnt see in Australia to be quite honest.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
What are these problems in society? I really dont get it. I dont see anything I didnt see in Australia to be quite honest.
I'd agree with that. I just see another first world country with the same sorts of issues that afflict any other first world country, the exception being, perhaps, a media which seems determined to generate a nation of "tut-tutters" over the breakfast table every morning. A more positive media would work wonders here.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I'd agree with that. I just see another first world country with the same sorts of issues that afflict any other first world country, the exception being, perhaps, a media which seems determined to generate a nation of "tut-tutters" over the breakfast table every morning. A more positive media would work wonders here.
I feel the same, I did not read the papers in Aus (way to Patriotic there but here its the opposite lol) and I do not read the papers here. I find its basically the same type of problems in most "1st world" countries just with different accents.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 10:11 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I feel the same, I did not read the papers in Aus (way to Patriotic there but here its the opposite lol) and I do not read the papers here. I find its basically the same type of problems in most "1st world" countries just with different accents.
I have learned to "skim" the papers and read only those articles that aren't dredging the worst of society onto the pages. I hardly ever watch the news on TV because you can't "skim" as easily and it's quite depressing. I enjoy reading good journalism and so I find many of the opinion pieces, editorials and human interest stories interesting.

Take a random look at the BBC news Web site and it is full of words like "corruption", "punished", "mourns", "disturbing", "ordeal", "deadly" (that's from today - actually, the headlines are a bit more cheery than usual!). Rarely do you read words like "celebrate", "accomplishment", "improving" emphasised.

I'd never want the UK to become as rah-rah as the US (or, apparently Australia), but I wish the media would not focus so much on the worst things in the world. I'd never want to become such a Pollyanna that I completely deny the existence of other people's problems but I also don't feel the need to wallow in what's bad about the world.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Sometimes its not actually the place thats the issue its the person. Many people blame where they live and bounce around all over the place and never find the happiness they are looking for. Sometimes you have to actually do work on yourself first and then figure out where you want to be!

I also like people who post both positive and negative who give you the facts and how life is effecting them! It helps to then make your own mind up and to look out for those pitfalls they found difficult and to try what worked for someone else. As Dunrovin said, these posts of "it is good or bad" with no insight are starting to just become so tedious. Life is different for everyone, it is how you interpret it and what action or in-action you take.

Aries, I also remember all the hassles you had initially when you moved with your flat and everything and it was just so unfair for you. I wish you well. You never know you may still end up in a small village in Germany!

Last edited by feelbritish; Nov 23rd 2013 at 3:12 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:36 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yes exactly, what problems in society are there that we dont see elsewhere? None that I can see. I agree about the media, I just dont read papers here but as Brits1 said I didnt read them in Australia because they were just full of 'oh look how good we are, worlds best blah blah blah'. Here the papers are the opposite and I am sure it is why some think this country is the only one with the issues that in fact affect the whole world and ironically are often much worse elsewhere.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes exactly, what problems in society are there that we dont see elsewhere? None that I can see. I agree about the media, I just dont read papers here but as Brits1 said I didnt read them in Australia because they were just full of 'oh look how good we are, worlds best blah blah blah'. Here the papers are the opposite and I am sure it is why some think this country is the only one with the issues that in fact affect the whole world and ironically are often much worse elsewhere.
Now we know what is your secret!

I think also that if you are very unhappy in the place you are living or are just not fulfilled, perhaps a move to an area where you are more content within the UK should you have the means to do this, is the answer. Stop reading all the nonsense the papers bring out, read your little local rag to find out what is going on and to get a sense of community, perhaps watch the 5pm news to keep up to date with world affairs and bury your head in the sand!

I was a lot happier when I did just that, but I have DH who has to watch all the news here and politics which drives me crazy! Reading all the bad news
only makes you more aware of shoddy behavior and desperately unhappy because you think that there is nothing else! btw press everywhere in Europe, Middle East and Africa particularly always headline the bad, they have so much competition they need to get the best headliners so you pick up their papers!

You may have overlooked a "chav" or swearing youth,immigrants or delays on motorways but as soon as the newspapers' headline it, it becomes a major problem. You are now officially brainwashed and will hurry to buy the next newspaper to follow up. It is called marketing!

Choose carefully what you watch or read and you will find a vast improvement. I was watching BBC Dateline this morning and I like programs like that where 4 or 5 people share their views, you get a more balanced approach to world and local affairs. Bring back the old radio programs on current affairs!
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 8:45 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish

Choose carefully what you watch or read and you will find a vast improvement.
Wise words.

My mum and I both live in beautiful rural areas where we know all our neighbours and where there's a real community spirit, almost no litter and zero vandalism. We both visit big cities occasionally for shopping etc. where we encounter litter and a little bit of graffiti, but no violence as we don't go out on weekend nights.

My mum reads the Daily Mail and is stressed about 'society' all the time.

I read the Guardian online, watch no TV news, and keep an eye on the local papers. I am completely unstressed about 'society.'

I think it's all about the media we consume in our cases, and about what we choose to focus on.

That said, if I lived in Bolton or Burnley or Bradford, where there really are problems, I'm sure my perceptions would be different. But likewise, if I had lived in Newark New Jersey during my time in America, I'm sure I would have hated every second.

Every country has its problems - America has whole swathes of the country that are laid waste to meth addiction but somehow people in the more affluent suburbs don't take on all those problems and worry about them.

JJ's OH, that's my question to you. When you had a comfortable life in America, did you fret and worry about all the people dying for lack of healthcare, or the meth addicts wasting away in rural small towns, or the racism that permeated so much of society? Or did you look past all that because you were content? And if it was the latter, can you find a way to do the same in England? Because yes, we have our problems as does any society, but they're no worse than America's or Australia's or Canada's (Rob Ford anyone??!), and I'd argue that in many ways they're not as bad as America's. At least we have a government that functions, for example.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have learned to "skim" the papers and read only those articles that aren't dredging the worst of society onto the pages. I hardly ever watch the news on TV because you can't "skim" as easily and it's quite depressing. I enjoy reading good journalism and so I find many of the opinion pieces, editorials and human interest stories interesting.

Take a random look at the BBC news Web site and it is full of words like "corruption", "punished", "mourns", "disturbing", "ordeal", "deadly" (that's from today - actually, the headlines are a bit more cheery than usual!). Rarely do you read words like "celebrate", "accomplishment", "improving" emphasised.

I'd never want the UK to become as rah-rah as the US (or, apparently Australia), but I wish the media would not focus so much on the worst things in the world. I'd never want to become such a Pollyanna that I completely deny the existence of other people's problems but I also don't feel the need to wallow in what's bad about the world.
I haven't read any newspapers in three years and haven't watched TV in over two years. I miss neither. I stopped reading papers because there was nothing in them that interested me. Why would I want to keep reading articles about politics, etc.

I stopped watching TV because all I could find to watch was junk or news programs that made my muscles go rigid because they were stressful or negative or both. I found one or two good programs - but out of 200+ channels?? No thank you.

Granted, I don't know much about what's going on in the world but that's ok. If I want to find out about something, I will look it up on the Internet. I have enough stress trying to survive living here without inviting more negatives into my life.

If I want to watch something and relax I find a movie online.

Last edited by windsong; Nov 24th 2013 at 12:12 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Now we know what is your secret!

I think also that if you are very unhappy in the place you are living or are just not fulfilled, perhaps a move to an area where you are more content within the UK should you have the means to do this, is the answer. Stop reading all the nonsense the papers bring out, read your little local rag to find out what is going on and to get a sense of community, perhaps watch the 5pm news to keep up to date with world affairs and bury your head in the sand!

I was a lot happier when I did just that, but I have DH who has to watch all the news here and politics which drives me crazy! Reading all the bad news
only makes you more aware of shoddy behavior and desperately unhappy because you think that there is nothing else! btw press everywhere in Europe, Middle East and Africa particularly always headline the bad, they have so much competition they need to get the best headliners so you pick up their papers!

You may have overlooked a "chav" or swearing youth,immigrants or delays on motorways but as soon as the newspapers' headline it, it becomes a major problem. You are now officially brainwashed and will hurry to buy the next newspaper to follow up. It is called marketing!

Choose carefully what you watch or read and you will find a vast improvement. I was watching BBC Dateline this morning and I like programs like that where 4 or 5 people share their views, you get a more balanced approach to world and local affairs. Bring back the old radio programs on current affairs!
Yes, to the radio shows!
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries
I am envious of those who have returned to the UK and are happy enough to post that life is glorious here. I would imagine that there are many places which are not pleasant to live, just as there are many places which are very pleasant to live. Unfortunately we can't all find our idea of Paradise when we return home.

Nevertheless, the nearest I've found to Paradise has been a small town alongside the River Neckar in Germany, and I will be there again next week. If I could afford ongoing health insurance I would move there in a shot, but it isn't possible.

However, I would also be happier living in Central London, but I can't afford to live there either!

So would I be happy returning to Australia? Highly unlikely, I would dislike the things I didn't like before, but worse, and I would constantly wonder if I should have given England a better go. As we get older and have more health problems, life is not so easy to turn around. However because of health problems, living in the UK gives me great concern, the NHS and other care has more problems than I expected.
I would have thought you'd be better off in the UK than anywhere else, especially with health concerns. I am sure the NHS isn't what it used to be but it's a darned site better than the USA.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I would have thought you'd be better off in the UK than anywhere else, especially with health concerns. I am sure the NHS isn't what it used to be but it's a darned site better than the USA.
I found the health service in South Australia to be better, and this morning when visiting a doctor who has knowledge of the two systems, he agreed. He said that if he didn't have commitments here and was settled, he would move in a flash, the NHS has too much red tape. Interestingly my chemist said much the same, both he and the doctor being bogged down with rules and regulations.

I've been out of action for a while because of more ill health, but am taking the chance and going on a trip to Germany tomorrow for 10 days. I'm slowly improving, so hopefully by the weekend I can begin to enjoy myself, I didn't want to cancel everything.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries
I found the health service in South Australia to be better, and this morning when visiting a doctor who has knowledge of the two systems, he agreed. He said that if he didn't have commitments here and was settled, he would move in a flash, the NHS has too much red tape. Interestingly my chemist said much the same, both he and the doctor being bogged down with rules and regulations.

I've been out of action for a while because of more ill health, but am taking the chance and going on a trip to Germany tomorrow for 10 days. I'm slowly improving, so hopefully by the weekend I can begin to enjoy myself, I didn't want to cancel everything.
Aries, so glad to hear you are getting better.

I hope you have a wonderful trip to Germany and have lots of great things to share with us upon your return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.