Two Years To-day!

Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:58 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two Years To-day!

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
To add some balance to my usual positivity, today I went to pick up a second-hand 4x4 that we bought for the winters up here in the hills. It was a wet cold morning and I had to go to Burnley. Trust me, that's a grim place in this weather. All Poundlands, tattoo parlors, betting shops and grimy looking pubs with little clusters of weathered-looking men standing outside smoking. In the town centre I passed two women pushing prams who looked as though they'd knife you as soon as look at you, and lots of people who looked like they hadn't eaten a nutritious meal in years.

If I lived in Burnley, I'd have a very different impression of being back here, that's for sure.
I think that is definitely a factor in the ping ponging of some. Most places around this area are lovely and I could easily live in any of them but there are also places that I think OMG what a craphole. If you found yourself through no fault of your own in one of the latter you may not last long.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I am envious of those who have returned to the UK and are happy enough to post that life is glorious here. I would imagine that there are many places which are not pleasant to live, just as there are many places which are very pleasant to live. Unfortunately we can't all find our idea of Paradise when we return home.

Nevertheless, the nearest I've found to Paradise has been a small town alongside the River Neckar in Germany, and I will be there again next week. If I could afford ongoing health insurance I would move there in a shot, but it isn't possible.

However, I would also be happier living in Central London, but I can't afford to live there either!

So would I be happy returning to Australia? Highly unlikely, I would dislike the things I didn't like before, but worse, and I would constantly wonder if I should have given England a better go. As we get older and have more health problems, life is not so easy to turn around. However because of health problems, living in the UK gives me great concern, the NHS and other care has more problems than I expected.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I am envious of those who have returned to the UK and are happy enough to post that life is glorious here. I would imagine that there are many places which are not pleasant to live, just as there are many places which are very pleasant to live. Unfortunately we can't all find our idea of Paradise when we return home.

Nevertheless, the nearest I've found to Paradise has been a small town alongside the River Neckar in Germany, and I will be there again next week. If I could afford ongoing health insurance I would move there in a shot, but it isn't possible.

However, I would also be happier living in Central London, but I can't afford to live there either!

So would I be happy returning to Australia? Highly unlikely, I would dislike the things I didn't like before, but worse, and I would constantly wonder if I should have given England a better go. As we get older and have more health problems, life is not so easy to turn around. However because of health problems, living in the UK gives me great concern, the NHS and other care has more problems than I expected.
Out of interest, what is it about the place in Germany that makes it so perfect?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Aries, I'm so sorry things haven't worked out as you'd hoped. I remember reading about the issues with your flat right from the start, and I'm sorry things have remained difficult with your property.

All of us on BE are making massive leaps of faith, whether it be those leaving the UK for the first time, returning to the UK or those ping ponging from one place to another. It's easy to underestimate the stress involved and that, combined with the loss of your sister and issues with your flat, cannot have made things easy for you.

I don't know how readily you feel able to move again, and I know you've said you would not return to Australia, but would you move elsewhere in the UK? I spent many years in Devon before moving overseas, and have a huge fondness for the place, but it does get a fair bit of rain, and if the damp is contributing to your health issues might you be better served living elsewhere?

We are coming up to a year back in the UK and have had our own trials and tribulations. All is far from rosy but on balance it was still the right decision for us to move back, if only for the fact that whatever happens next it will have put some questions to rest. We both suspect we have more overseas adventures in our future but will be here for a while yet. Both my OH and I have had major wobbles and I miss Melbourne hugely, as does he. If only Melbourne were closer to the rest of the world we might never have left.

I wish you well for the future and hope you find peace with your move. It is often said on here, but I truly think that, with a few exceptions, once you become an expat you never entirely settle in one place. And that can be far more of a curse than many first setting out on their expat adventure realise.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Out of interest, what is it about the place in Germany that makes it so perfect?
It isn't perfect by any means, but it is a place where I feel happy. I have German friends there who make me welcome, and I like the general feel of the small town. When I lived there four years ago I didn't see any bad behaviour in the streets, the people were friendly, and the town is a mixture of old and new, people as well as buildings. It seems to have found a good balance, and is close to romantic Heidelberg.

Certainly there are more exciting places to live, but it is how we feel inside at a particular time.

I have also lived in Bavaria south of Munich, but although it is a beautiful region, the small town there didn't give me the same vibes. It is now too late for me to look for perfection, so I suppose I will never find it.

For those who like beautiful scenery coupled with history and nice music, here is a lovely video of Bavaria. It is long, so make a cuppa, put it full screen, and sit back. I know many of the places and have good memories. It starts off with Lindau on Lake Constance, a really attractive town on an island at the side of the lake. Enjoy

http://watch.wliw.org/video/1316897867/
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:12 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't perfect by any means, but it is a place where I feel happy. I have German friends there who make me welcome, and I like the general feel of the small town. When I lived there four years ago I didn't see any bad behaviour in the streets, the people were friendly, and the town is a mixture of old and new, people as well as buildings. It seems to have found a good balance, and is close to romantic Heidelberg.

Certainly there are more exciting places to live, but it is how we feel inside at a particular time.

I have also lived in Bavaria south of Munich, but although it is a beautiful region, the small town there didn't give me the same vibes. It is now too late for me to look for perfection, so I suppose I will never find it.

For those who like beautiful scenery coupled with history and nice music, here is a lovely video of Bavaria. It is long, so make a cuppa, put it full screen, and sit back. I know many of the places and have good memories. It starts off with Lindau on Lake Constance, a really attractive town on an island at the side of the lake. Enjoy

http://watch.wliw.org/video/1316897867/
That's interesting, thanks very much for sharing the information.

It is difficult to put your finger on why a place works for you, isn't it? We are very lucky these days with the internet - we can look at street view, read crime statistics, check how far the nearest train station is, find out house prices and council tax band, all of this is wonderful. But it sill doesn't tell you whether a place will feel right, does it?

I plan to retire early in 2018 (fingers crossed) and figure I need to start looking at places to retire now, going on road trips to check places out, and of course coming on here to ask people what places are like. Everywhere has a compromise of some sort. I live in a place that is hugely convenient for hiking, biking, dog-walking, it's a decent little community, far enough from the rougher areas of Glasgow, etc., but I really don't want to retire here because it is just too far north - I can't get people to visit up here.

When I first moved back to the UK, I lived on the edge of the Lansbury Park Estate in Caerphilly, which has a terrible reputation, and rightly so. Whenever I get a bit disgruntled about where I am, I remind myself of how scary that place was!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

but I really don't want to retire here because it is just too far north - I can't get people to visit up here.
I can't get people to visit me either, yet after living in Australia, I feel that I'm just a picnic ride away from family. A niece with her husband and daughter in South Australia drive nearly 50 miles each way every Saturday morning to do their weekly shopping, and have been doing this for years. I suppose our perceptions of distance are different when living in a big country.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

To give the benefit of the doubt, the person who posted that might have been referring to the element of competition or denial that has crept into MBTTUK at times (from both sides of the fence). It seems some people simply can't accept the idea that others have a different perspective.

I find it interesting to hear about people's positive experiences and to see the support people get when things aren't going so well. Having had my own share of difficulties, especially early on, I think it's really important that people have a forum for airing negative experiences.

I enjoy reading posts from people like SallySimmons and Quoll, because they give insight into the how and the why things worked out for them. I find extreme points of view quite tiresome, and I don't understand why the good/bad discussion has to be some sort of competition for people.
"What goes on behind close doors" I always try and be honest not for others but for myself as you really cannot kid yourself. It will not just MBTTUK that some will dress up to be good etc, unfortunately thats life. Myself I tend to try and see and do the positives in life a negative situation for one person is not the same for another and if I find myself in that type of situation I move heaven and earth to change it, what else can you do...sit and wallow, so really in the end you have to choose for yourself what path you are going to take, what works for some does not for others etc.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:58 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
"What goes on behind close doors" I always try and be honest not for others but for myself as you really cannot kid yourself. It will not just MBTTUK that some will dress up to be good etc, unfortunately thats life. Myself I tend to try and see and do the positives in life a negative situation for one person is not the same for another and if I find myself in that type of situation I move heaven and earth to change it, what else can you do...sit and wallow, so really in the end you have to choose for yourself what path you are going to take, what works for some does not for others etc.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy reading your posts aries, and recall when you were in SA preparing to leave.
I thought about returning to live in England at one stage but have put the idea quietly to sleep.

What does interest me though is your sojourns to Germany. We often spend time by the River Neckar. Which town do you stay? In fact have pencilled it in as a possible retirement place. My OH speaks fluent German and we have a few small properties there.

We would probably hang onto our house here in OZ to maintain a base, but Germany is certainly attractive. We have also looked into Malta, long term renting as wouldn't buy there and Northern Cyprus, the Turkish part, as well as Malaysia, but the heat can be stifling there.

Looked at other regions in Australia but very hard to come up with somewhere worth moving to.

Anyhow keep writing your experiences and do tell where along The Neckar. We could even be near neighbours at some stage.
Oh we have a place in the centre in Tubingen and another outside ....
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Enjoy reading your posts aries, and recall when you were in SA preparing to leave.
I thought about returning to live in England at one stage but have put the idea quietly to sleep.

What does interest me though is your sojourns to Germany. We often spend time by the River Neckar. Which town do you stay? In fact have pencilled it in as a possible retirement place. My OH speaks fluent German and we have a few small properties there.

We would probably hang onto our house here in OZ to maintain a base, but Germany is certainly attractive. We have also looked into Malta, long term renting as wouldn't buy there and Northern Cyprus, the Turkish part, as well as Malaysia, but the heat can be stifling there.

Looked at other regions in Australia but very hard to come up with somewhere worth moving to.

Anyhow keep writing your experiences and do tell where along The Neckar. We could even be near neighbours at some stage.
Oh we have a place in the centre in Tubingen and another outside ....
We recently had a mini break to Brugge and really enjoyed the lifestyle there, we like Northern Europe and I know Germany slightly, more the South, I would like to visit Dresden and Leipzigand although I love visiting these Cities etc I never really feel like I could live there, I find the more choices I have the harder it can be to choose lol
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:22 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting - Burnley was being touted in the Sunday Times Home section a few weeks back as a good place to buy a house.
Well, it's cheap

Aries, does Germany have private healthcare? I didn't know that.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes its not actually the place thats the issue its the person. Many people blame where they live and bounce around all over the place and never find the happiness they are looking for. Sometimes you have to actually do work on yourself first and then figure out where you want to be!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:17 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Sometimes its not actually the place thats the issue its the person. Many people blame where they live and bounce around all over the place and never find the happiness they are looking for. Sometimes you have to actually do work on yourself first and then figure out where you want to be!
Yep, as the saying goes, Wherever you go ... there you are. There's no escaping yourself, though that doesn't stop people trying.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is also difficult sometimes to come onto this part of the site with bad news because there is a sense from some quarters that negative news is letting the side down - but it's more important for people to hear the truth, warts and all. Don't let anyone tell you that you're not being positive enough. If we deny our problems we simply perpetuate them.

Good luck.
Reading all the happy returnees stories (no, no need for you not to apologize for being happy) only makes me feel bad that I have not found my part of England to be all that marvelous. I tend not to come to BE all that much now for this reason.

Oh, there is a lot of good, the countryside is just as nice as it always was, there are some nice individuals and places, personally I am comfortably well off (through my own efforts overseas) - but when I look outside of myself and when I am not in the countryside I see a society that has a lot of problems and I am not impressed.

I can be / am happy here in UK if I ignore society but that is hard for me to do and it often intrudes unbidden.

Is the answer to escape to the UK countryside and live a sheltered independent life there away from society for most of the time?

Last edited by J.JsOH; Nov 22nd 2013 at 8:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.