Two years ago today...

Old Jul 9th 2017, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years ago today...

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
He was, I suppose, "only" my father-in-law, but I knew him and respected him for more than the 45 years since I asked him for his daughter's hand in marriage. My own father died when I was 38 years old and I didn't respect him much at all. Such is life.

A little similar to my DH, he was pretty close to my DD but with his own father he is not close to, families can be very "colourful" at times.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

An update on the update.

On Sunday the 23rd we had (almost) all of the extended family* in the Salle de Fete in the village where my parents-in-law had their French house (on Omaha Beach).

*Most from France, but from England, New York, Regina, Toronto, Mauritius, Mallorca and from somewhere in the North Sea. I may have forgotten some.

It went well. About 6 or 8 of the relatives (including me and of course my wife) had prepared speeches or powerpoint presentations remembering and celebrating his life.

A send off to be proud of.

The next day, on what would have been his 90th birthday, we scattered his ashes on the sea in front of his house there, where 5 years ago we'd scattered those of his wife.

So be it.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a very fitting send off; your father-in-law would be proud of you.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 10:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What a very fine final farewell Novocastrian.

Sounds perfect for him & for you all.

I hope your wife was comforted by the day . Y'know, it doesn't matter what age we are when our parents finally leave us. We are always their child.

xx
Old Jul 28th 2017, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Sounds like a very fitting send off; your father-in-law would be proud of you.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
An update on the update.

On Sunday the 23rd we had (almost) all of the extended family* in the Salle de Fete in the village where my parents-in-law had their French house (on Omaha Beach).

*Most from France, but from England, New York, Regina, Toronto, Mauritius, Mallorca and from somewhere in the North Sea. I may have forgotten some.

It went well. About 6 or 8 of the relatives (including me and of course my wife) had prepared speeches or powerpoint presentations remembering and celebrating his life.

A send off to be proud of.

The next day, on what would have been his 90th birthday, we scattered his ashes on the sea in front of his house there, where 5 years ago we'd scattered those of his wife.

So be it.
Nice to read your update, and glad to hear you're enjoying life back in the UK and France. Sounds like you celebrated his life and passing in a very appropriate way, so good that so many could attend 😀
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:36 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Two years already? That went quickly. Im pleased to hear that the celebration went well, these things are important.

I miss you round here
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:56 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Two years already? That went quickly. Im pleased to hear that the celebration went well, these things are important.

I miss you round here
Cheers L.. Give my best to R.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:45 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds such a beautiful celebration of life. Glad you're happy in Newcastle. Likely that me and the Mr. will be following you back to Blighty in a few months. Maybe we can hold expats returners drinks in the UK in the near future....
Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:54 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
Sounds such a beautiful celebration of life. Glad you're happy in Newcastle. Likely that me and the Mr. will be following you back to Blighty in a few months. Maybe we can hold expats returners drinks in the UK in the near future....
Oh I'd be up for that. I might even travel to parts unknown.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
What a very fine final farewell Novocastrian.

Sounds perfect for him & for you all.

I hope your wife was comforted by the day . Y'know, it doesn't matter what age we are when our parents finally leave us. We are always their child.

xx
I second that!

Last edited by feelbritish; Nov 20th 2017 at 10:48 am. Reason: add on