Settling in Cornwall

Old Feb 6th 2015, 1:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settling in Cornwall

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
Good news about car insurance. Used gocompare dot com to check on prices and then researched and then booked the low cost option. I made sure we could use our USA no claims and it ended up being a non-issue. We have to have our USA insurance firm submit proof of no claims via email which is no problem.

Picking up our car tomorrow morning! Yay!
So .... what are you getting????
Old Mar 4th 2015, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

maddie1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's brilliant to be able to post in this section! How I yearned to do this a few years ago and now it's here! We arrived Sunday 11th and we've been striking to-dos off the list since then. My daughter started school Weds 14th and my son starts daycare 3 days a week next week. My wife is off and running with her job (she transferred to the London group of her firm on an ICT Tier 2 visa) and once the kids are totally set and the schedules are tighter I'll pickup some part time work and then later look for something more full time.

The details have been fitting into place well, including updating driver's license, bank info, credit card, council tax, utilities, internet, mobile phone. No issues yet just a few small hiccups and hurdles but nothing major.

The food in restaurants/pubs has improved no end and the choice in the supermarkets is brilliant. Meat is definitely more expensive than where we were (Northeast USA) but veggies, bread, other items are less expensive. Just about everything else is noticeably less costly including council taxes, utilities etc. Mobile phones are much less although I brought my iPhone with me (contact had expired and when I cancelled with AT&T they unlocked the phone) so I have done an unlimited SIM only plan for just 15 UKP a month which is perfect for me.

Honestly there's not been any negatives as yet but I'm really not trying to put my rose coloured spectacles on either. Everyone has been super nice and pleasant and willing to help wherever they can. Haven't seen a poo tree yet

It's way colder in the USA Northeast but we're still cold here... the air is much wetter and that with the cold makes it seem very chilly at times. Plus we've had a lot of rain but we expected it and expect a lot more. Still better than snowstorms and hard is everywhere in my opinion.

My wife is dealing well with being away from family but we're already making plans to see them and they're all coming for Chrissy so that'll be great. We move into our house next weekend and can't wait. Living with Mum has been lovely but we need our own space... a lot!

Take care all. I'll check in again soon. xoxoxoxo
Hi 56 and planing on moving home after 36 years in Montreal Canada any have advise on shipping cost etc, also cost experiences of bringing my cat home.
I am originally from Hull but plan to move south , loved Cornwall when I was there 36 years ago eheh .I work here as a child youth family service worker any and all advice would e welcome . very scary after all these years.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Envious, and just to compound the envy..............

https://www.visitcornwall.com/video/...0#.VP8ETPzF8_9
Old Mar 10th 2015, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Envious, and just to compound the envy..............

https://www.visitcornwall.com/video/...0#.VP8ETPzF8_9
Our house is on there! Thanks for that.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Christmasoompa, I'm slowly turning green Love where you live.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

There are some amazing videos on that cornwall website!

It's brilliant here really! I'm putting my thoughts together for a 2 month update. Lots of good stuff to report! And BTW we got a Skoda Octavia VRS Tdi. Very nice and we're very happy with it.

Cheers, M
Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:40 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Great news on the insurance, I will keep a note of that website.

Sorry to be so nosy but are you paying cash for your car or taking out a loan/using a credit card? We will need to buy two cars and I think we might have to come up with the cash as we will have zero UK credit history!
Originally Posted by dunroving
So .... what are you getting????

It's brilliant here really! I'm putting my thoughts together for a 2 month update. Lots of good stuff to report! And BTW we got a Skoda Octavia VRS Tdi. Very nice and we're very happy with it.

Cheers, M
Skoda - great choice. I just sold my 10-year old Fabia, that was a bought as a brief stop-gap when my Subaru upped and gave up the ghost. Turned out I kept it for 3 years. I sold it on Gumtree and had loads of willing buyers. First person who saw it bought it. He was an 18-year old (dad and Granddad came with) buying his first car. His Dad had taken him to an auction to look around and after going in being sure he wanted a Subaru Impreza XRZXS (or whatever the souped-up ones are called), he left saying to his dad, "I want a Skoda Fabia!"

I first fell in love with the Skoda Octavia when I went to the 2004 Tour de France (they are used as the team cars). They just looked fantastic swooping down the mountains adorned with road bikes on top and painted in the bright team colours.

I bought a Citroen C3 Picasso after I sold the Fabia and really like it, except it's currently in the garage getting sorted for a minor issue, under warranty. I think whenever you buy a new (used) car, you end up ironing out the wrinkles it came with, in the first few weeks of ownership.

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 12th 2015 at 10:42 am.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 4:26 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

I have not seen a poo tree or a chav yet
You're obviously not looking hard enough! Can't move for them in my village

This was a lovely update to read. Sounds exactly like my experience when we first arrived back. Make the most of this first year - savour every day. I wish I still had that sense of excitement and fun about everything we did. Not to say I'm not still happy because I am, very. But it's a bit like the difference between first falling in love and then the rest of the relationship. You can only have that initial thrill for a little while and then things settle in and start to just feel normal.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

PS: Spring is springing up here - just went out for a walk and saw some lambs, The farmer's wife told me they were only 7 days old. So CUTE!
Old May 27th 2015, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Cheers, M
That's the car I want to get next. Had a Octavia vRS 1.8T and a Fabia vRS TDi before we left the UK. Great cars although the wife's current Subaru Forester XT takes some beating.
Looking at a possible move back to Cornwall next year, living near Truro. Over this summer for a reccy.