NHS

Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS

So glad that your daughter had good service from the NHS and that she is now on the mend.

I must say that I, too, have been very impressed with the NHS service since we have been here. The wheels fell off the parental wagon when we arrived and we had to call the ambulance 5 times in a short space of time (got our knuckles rapped for actually taking dad to A&E in the car while having a heart attack - he didnt want to be a nuisance! - but fabulous service once we arrived!). The ambos have been amazing (all of them!), the ward service was fantastic for my olds on their various visits, and the follow up has been very impressive!

For my part, on registering with the NHS I have been scanned for all the things that people get scanned for over the age of 60 and that all within the first 4 months of being here. Our practice also has things like online booking appointments and renewing meds which is impressive too.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:13 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
So glad that your daughter had good service from the NHS and that she is now on the mend.

I must say that I, too, have been very impressed with the NHS service since we have been here. The wheels fell off the parental wagon when we arrived and we had to call the ambulance 5 times in a short space of time (got our knuckles rapped for actually taking dad to A&E in the car while having a heart attack - he didnt want to be a nuisance! - but fabulous service once we arrived!). The ambos have been amazing (all of them!), the ward service was fantastic for my olds on their various visits, and the follow up has been very impressive!

For my part, on registering with the NHS I have been scanned for all the things that people get scanned for over the age of 60 and that all within the first 4 months of being here. Our practice also has things like online booking appointments and renewing meds which is impressive too.
I was recently signed off sick for a week - first time ever in 4 years! Got docked 80 sick hours and had to pay $65.00 to see the doctor and get a certificate. As I was off for a week, work insisted I get a return to work certificate so I did - another $65.00. Medicare covered $28.00 each visit but I am still $72.00 out of pocket. We don't have a surgery that bulk bills up here and there are only 2 so they can charge what they like! I will NEVER take the NHS for granted ever again lol!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:40 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
I was recently signed off sick for a week - first time ever in 4 years! Got docked 80 sick hours and had to pay $65.00 to see the doctor and get a certificate. As I was off for a week, work insisted I get a return to work certificate so I did - another $65.00. Medicare covered $28.00 each visit but I am still $72.00 out of pocket. We don't have a surgery that bulk bills up here and there are only 2 so they can charge what they like! I will NEVER take the NHS for granted ever again lol!
I am almost sure here you can self certify yourself as sick for 7 days as law, then you have to get a doctor's note which of course will be FREE!!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:52 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I am almost sure here you can self certify yourself as sick for 7 days as law, then you have to get a doctor's note which of course will be FREE!!
Yes, you are 100% right there! In the UK I was entitled to 6 months sick with full pay and then 6 months half pay but I only had one day sick in 5 years so never had to use it. Here we have to earn our sick monthly at 90 hours a year and have to provide a sick certificate for more than 2 days absence. Stupid really cos as paramedics we get exposed to all kinds of illness and potential injury! Another reason I am looking forward to my UK return!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone explain why gout always arrives unannounced in the small hours - usually when there is no chance of getting medication !

Last edited by scot47; Jan 23rd 2013 at 7:04 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:28 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by scot47
Can someone explain why gout always arrioves unannounced in the small hours - usually when there is no chance of getting medication !
Maybe something to do with what you have eaten, or drank, like alcohol or fatty foods etc.

Also age
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a teetotal vegetarian !! And only 65 and three quarters !
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
I have just spent three days in hospital with my daughter who caught a terrible stomach bug and had serious D and V so became severely dehydrated. She is a little thing anyway so didn't have any weight to lose!

Anyway, my reasons for posting, was to comment on the amazing care we received. It was truly amazing! We arrived at the hospital and went into A and E. The security guard pushed us to the front of a short queue and I was sent into a children's A and E department. Amazing! We were seem immediately and were up in a beautiful and very clean room within the hour. I can't tell you how wonderful the doctors and nurses were. So fantastic!

I felt very proud to be British!
I think our NHS is amazing always have thought so (mine and my families personal opinion from past experience)unless you have not lived overseas in countries where there is not that type of Health Care, people often do not appreciate the NHS but I suppose thats human nature, I have an injury similar to one our DS had overseas, we had to pay for his treatment, my treatment has been by the NHS and its been excellent...dare I say it....even better.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Opening Ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics rightly celebrated the Creation and Conyinuation of the NHS as a great achievement. Long may it continue, and Confusion to its Enemies !
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear that your daughter is getting well.

My husband banged his head on the car door the other day and managed to cut himself quite badly. We went to A&E and he was taken care of within 20 minutes. I was amazed as we've had a few very negative emergency room visits in the US, probably because the GP could never see us so they'd always just tell you to go to emergency, which of course clogged up the hospital.

Anyway, 3 cheers for the NHS