Forty-seven day report

Old Jul 7th 2015, 6:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forty-seven day report

A bit of a soft landing in England for me, because this is actually the fourth lengthy sojourn in Norfolk in the last 18 months. The second of those trips my wife came too, so we bought this flat, then, after completion in January, I came over for eight weeks in Feb-March to set up the utilities, get the basic furniture in etc.

This time we came over here on May 21 and I considered myself resident from day one. I applied for my photocard driving licence, my concessionary bus pass, we bought ourselves bicycles, I got myself on the electoral register, and a few other things. Today I registered at the doctors'! It was pretty easy, just filled out a simple form with my name, address, DOB and such. None of those multi page DIY medical history forms you always get in the US. She set me up with an initial 20 minute appointment with the practice nurse, next week. I'll have nothing to declare but my genius, and a urine sample...

So anyway my wife flew home to NYS a couple of weeks ago so here I am on my own. I think the honeymoon period must be over because I'm tired of bacon. I'm still good with cream teas though.

I still think I'd like to own a car here. Meanwhile, though, I've got the following transportation options; train (senior railcard.) Bus (senior bus pass.) Bicycle (Raleigh Pioneer, I'm very pleased with it.) Co-Wheels/Norfolk Car Club membership (there's a car parked about a half mile from here, I seem to be the only potential user, and I can book it out for anything from one hour to overnight or the whole day. It's a VW BlueMotion Golf and is pleasant to drive.)

Anyway I hung on the phone for twenty minutes to the HMRC, but no luck. I then wrote them a letter, telling them I was now a resident, so could I pay my 2014-2015 voluntary NICs and how much will that be please. This in response to the annual letter they sent me in the US about my Class 2 NIC. Hopefully they'll take this on board and I'll become a taxpayer. Now, I still intend to file married filing jointly in the US, and my wife is still a US resident. So I expect this'll get a bit complicated..

Anyway that's my first update! Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I like it here! We had that wicked hot weather last week, so I went to the seaside (ten mile bus trip, free of charge, bus every half hour. What's not to like.)
Old Jul 9th 2015, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forty-seven day report

Sounds like you're getting nicely settled in. I know what you mean about the bacon, I've had some in the freezer for weeks, it's just no big deal anymore. It's good to hear you're getting out and about, I took in the seaside myself last week while it was really hot. Dad & I went over to South Shields for the day, I'll never tire of the smell of the sea air. When does your wife arrive in the UK for good?
Old Jul 9th 2015, 9:29 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome home.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Pleased you have settled in so quickly and the free transport has got to help � ����� ����
Old Jul 10th 2015, 7:24 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the greetings!

A three day trip up to South Shields and vicinity is on the cards in the next month or six weeks. It is where all my family on my mother's side came from. My grandfather, who worked in Egypt had a "long leave" every two years, so loaded his car on a ship, and had a road trip from Marseille to South Shields once every two summers .... Then the Second World War intervened, and he didn't visit England between 1939 and 1948. I'll bet South Shields looked a bit different in 1948.

My wife isn't really sure she wants to move to England. One problem is, we own a huge decrepit old (1865) farmhouse in rural New York State, not the kind of property you can leave unattended for months at a time in the winter. So we've been looking at modern condos and similar on Cape Cod, so then both of our homes would be a bit easier to lock up and leave. Like Norfolk, Cape Cod has mild winters and is good cycling country...
Old Jul 18th 2015, 10:30 am
Heading for Poppyland

I'm not one to watch my weight, but apparently I've lost twenty pounds in weight since I came to England. This just brings me within the normal BMI range rather than the marginally overweight.

This gets to an important quality of life difference between my life in the US and here. Here, I feel I can enjoy outdoor activities almost every day, whatever the season, because of warm winters and comparatively cool summers. Also, lack of mosquitoes and other annoying stinging and biting insects. I've bought a bicycle and have been on a couple of twenty or thirty mile rides (the days of riding a hundred miles or even 100km are long gone, for me.) Also, I'm walking miles every day, even if it's just to catch a bus, walking on the beach or around town.

The weight loss is not related to food. I'm eating lots of afternoon teas and cream teas and all sorts of yummy and not always healthy tidbits from M&S and Tesco's.

How do I know my weight? I registered at the local doctors surgery ten days ago and I had my initial consultation with a practice nurse on Thursday. We met for twenty minutes, and she covered all the usual ground (two glasses of wine a day, honest..) took blood, measured me up etc. Within twenty four hours the practice rang me and called me in for a follow up consultation with a different practice nurse (I believe cholesterol and prostate issues will be the topic this time.) Meanwhile, I've had several letters from the NHS region in Ipswich, giving me my new NHS number, inviting me to take an FOB test, and various other information.

So far this seems to be a rational "joined up" service (as they say in the UK.) As US folks will probably agree, in US there simply is no system or service, just for-profit professionals trying to make a living.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 12:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Another milestone in the process of settling in - I went away on holiday.

I went up to Gateshead by train for a few days. Weather wasn't the best, but I still managed to walk around Gateshead, South Shields and Newcastle, trying to time visits to museums and art galleries when I thought it would be pouring with rain. Trains were brilliant, comfortable and reliable. I was sitting on the platform at Peterborough for an hour, I noted that almost every train left within ten seconds of its scheduled departure time.

I had a nice day in South Shields, and found my great grandfather's headstone in Harton cemetery. He's not actually buried there, since he was lost at sea, but the headstone memorializes a number of other family members so answers a couple of other family history enigmas. Also saw the house where my other great grandparents lived from 1918 to 1938.

Then I took the passenger ferry from South Shields to North Shields, and walked up to Tynemouth where I visited the Abbey ruins and enjoyed the spectacular sea views from the cliff top.

Naturally I was won over, I could definitely live in South Shields (cheap and cheerful) or Tynemouth or Whitley Bay. I've been looking on Rightmove again, now that some of the street names mean something to me, after tramping around for a couple of days!

I stayed at a hotel in Gateshead Quays, just near the Baltic Centre. The hotel was a disaster, the least said the better. However, it was a few minutes walk from the Gateshead Transport Interchange so that was handy. I used buses for all trips, since I have a bus pass. The journeys from Gateshead to Shields and from Tynemouth to Newcastle by bus were slow, but interesting to see all the streets and neighborhoods etc... also to chat to all the friendly locals who got on & off the buses!
Old Aug 1st 2015, 1:09 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you keep writing in this thread, robin. It's such a nice read.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I hope you keep writing in this thread, robin. It's such a nice read.
+1
Old Aug 1st 2015, 7:42 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

The weight loss is not related to food. I'm eating lots of afternoon teas and cream teas and all sorts of yummy and not always healthy tidbits from M&S and Tesco's.

How do I know my weight? I registered at the local doctors surgery ten days ago and I had my initial consultation with a practice nurse on Thursday. We met for twenty minutes, and she covered all the usual ground (two glasses of wine a day, honest..) took blood, measured me up etc. Within twenty four hours the practice rang me and called me in for a follow up consultation with a different practice nurse (I believe cholesterol and prostate issues will be the topic this time.) Meanwhile, I've had several letters from the NHS region in Ipswich, giving me my new NHS number, inviting me to take an FOB test, and various other information.

So far this seems to be a rational "joined up" service (as they say in the UK.) As US folks will probably agree, in US there simply is no system or service, just for-profit professionals trying to make a living.
My DH and I are with a Medicare Advantage Plan with UHC. Hubby for 3 years. me for 2 years.

A nurse practitioner comes to our house once a year, and does an almost complete physical. She does weight check, BP check, ears and eyes check, pulse, lymph nodes, throat, breathing, heart checks, etc. She takes a urine sample and checks for diabetes and protein. She does a memory test. She checks our feet for diabetic neuropathy. She looks at meds, and makes sure they are up to date. She does a complete family history, and asks questions related to that. She suggests any tests that need to be done. She gave us both fecal occult stool test kits to mail in. She set up a mammogram for me at a local center. She makes sure that we have had our flu shots.

If hubby forgets to pick up meds at drug store, they will call with a reminder. They call to remind us about flu shots, and also shingles shot.

They sent us a $25 gift certificate each after the at home physical.

We also get a complete p exam every year from our internist, with a complete cholesterol screening, and other labs, etc. They remind you to do that too.

We are very happy with Medicare Advantage. Our health care here in the US is wonderful.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 7:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Mallory
My DH and I are with a Medicare Advantage Plan with UHC. Hubby for 3 years. me for 2 years.

A nurse practitioner comes to our house once a year, and does an almost complete physical. She does weight check, BP check, ears and eyes check, pulse, lymph nodes, throat, breathing, heart checks, etc. She takes a urine sample and checks for diabetes and protein. She does a memory test. She checks our feet for diabetic neuropathy. She looks at meds, and makes sure they are up to date. She does a complete family history, and asks questions related to that. She suggests any tests that need to be done. She gave us both fecal occult stool test kits to mail in. She set up a mammogram for me at a local center. She makes sure that we have had our flu shots.

If hubby forgets to pick up meds at drug store, they will call with a reminder. They call to remind us about flu shots, and also shingles shot.

They sent us a $25 gift certificate each after the at home physical.

We also get a complete p exam every year from our internist, with a complete cholesterol screening, and other labs, etc. They remind you to do that too.

We are very happy with Medicare Advantage. Our health care here in the US is wonderful.
That sounds very good. It's funny you should post this today, today is a milestone for me .... first day of the month when I turn 65! So I transition from my old work related health plan to Medicare today! (If I was in the US.)

I too have a UHC Medicare Advantage plan. I chose that route because it is a premium of $0 a month, which makes sense since I plan to spend most of my time in the UK. That just leaves me with the $105 per month premium for Part B.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 7:31 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds very good. It's funny you should post this today, today is a milestone for me .... first day of the month when I turn 65! So I transition from my old work related health plan to Medicare today! (If I was in the US.)

I too have a UHC Medicare Advantage plan. I chose that route because it is a premium of $0 a month, which makes sense since I plan to spend most of my time in the UK. That just leaves me with the $105 per month premium for Part B.
Make sure you have a diabetes test, Sudden weight loss can be indicative of that. Just to be on the safe side!
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Another milestone in the process of settling in - I went away on holiday.

I went up to Gateshead by train for a few days. Weather wasn't the best, but I still managed to walk around Gateshead, South Shields and Newcastle, trying to time visits to museums and art galleries when I thought it would be pouring with rain. Trains were brilliant, comfortable and reliable. I was sitting on the platform at Peterborough for an hour, I noted that almost every train left within ten seconds of its scheduled departure time.

I had a nice day in South Shields, and found my great grandfather's headstone in Harton cemetery. He's not actually buried there, since he was lost at sea, but the headstone memorializes a number of other family members so answers a couple of other family history enigmas. Also saw the house where my other great grandparents lived from 1918 to 1938.

Then I took the passenger ferry from South Shields to North Shields, and walked up to Tynemouth where I visited the Abbey ruins and enjoyed the spectacular sea views from the cliff top.

Naturally I was won over, I could definitely live in South Shields (cheap and cheerful) or Tynemouth or Whitley Bay. I've been looking on Rightmove again, now that some of the street names mean something to me, after tramping around for a couple of days!

I stayed at a hotel in Gateshead Quays, just near the Baltic Centre. The hotel was a disaster, the least said the better. However, it was a few minutes walk from the Gateshead Transport Interchange so that was handy. I used buses for all trips, since I have a bus pass. The journeys from Gateshead to Shields and from Tynemouth to Newcastle by bus were slow, but interesting to see all the streets and neighborhoods etc... also to chat to all the friendly locals who got on & off the buses!
Glad to hear you had a nice time. I'm really missing what eventually became weekly drives over to the northeast over the summer while my Dad was here & had wheels. I was actually able to get into Harton myself on one visit and found my Great-Grandparents' grave. My Great-Grandmother died in 1905 and Grandfather re-married. I wasn't aware he and his second wife had had any children but apparently there was a boy who was born and died the same day and he was buried there. You just never know what you're going to learn. Sorry to hear you struck out on accommodation; my Dad was over there on his own for a few days and stayed at a B & B in Newcastle he was quite pleased with. I'll pm you with details after I talk to him next in case you have any further jaunts to that neck of the woods in mind. We'd still go back to the northeast myself if there was work but unfortunately that's still a bit of a tall order. Keep the updates coming, it's great reading them.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 5:17 am
Just Joined

jhampton is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a UK citizen married to a Canadian and live in London Ontario as a permanent resident I have bought a flat in Hertfordshire UK and want to be resident there but my husband will remain in Canada I have read and reread all the info I can get a hold of but still can't figure out how to manage it all Did the fact that your wife remained a resident of the US cause any problems in severing ties with the US for tax purposes? Do you have dual citizenship? Are you able to travel back and forward to the US freely? I would appreciate any advice as I am tearing my hair out!! Many thanks

A bit of a soft landing in England for me, because this is actually the fourth lengthy sojourn in Norfolk in the last 18 months. The second of ethose trips my wife came too, so we bought this flat, then, after completion in January, I came over for eight weeks in Feb-March to set up the utilities, get the basic furniture in etc.

This time we came over here on May 21 and I considered myself resident from day one. I applied for my photocard driving licence, my concessionary bus pass, we bought ourselves bicycles, I got myself on the electoral register, and a few other things. Today I registered at the doctors'! It was pretty easy, just filled out a simple form with my name, address, DOB and such. None of those multi page DIY medical history forms you always get in the US. She set me up with an initial 20 minute appointment with the practice nurse, next week. I'll have nothing to declare but my genius, and a urine sample...

So anyway my wife flew home to NYS a couple of weeks ago so here I am on my own. I think the honeymoon period must be over because I'm tired of bacon. I'm still good with cream teas though.

I still think I'd like to own a car here. Meanwhile, though, I've got the following transportation options; train (senior railcard.) Bus (senior bus pass.) Bicycle (Raleigh Pioneer, I'm very pleased with it.) Co-Wheels/Norfolk Car Club membership (there's a car parked about a half mile from here, I seem to be the only potential user, and I can book it out for anything from one hour to overnight or the whole day. It's a VW BlueMotion Golf and is pleasant to drive.)

Anyway I hung on the phone for twenty minutes to the HMRC, but no luck. I then wrote them a letter, telling them I was now a resident, so could I pay my 2014-2015 voluntary NICs and how much will that be please. This in response to the annual letter they sent me in the US about my Class 2 NIC. Hopefully they'll take this on board and I'll become a taxpayer. Now, I still intend to file married filing jointly in the US, and my wife is still a US resident. So I expect this'll get a bit complicated..

Anyway that's my first update! Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I like it here! We had that wicked hot weather last week, so I went to the seaside (ten mile bus trip, free of charge, bus every half hour. What's not to like.)
Old Mar 12th 2016, 8:03 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by jhampton
I am a UK citizen married to a Canadian and live in London Ontario as a permanent resident I have bought a flat in Hertfordshire UK and want to be resident there but my husband will remain in Canada I have read and reread all the info I can get a hold of but still can't figure out how to manage it all Did the fact that your wife remained a resident of the US cause any problems in severing ties with the US for tax purposes? Do you have dual citizenship? Are you able to travel back and forward to the US freely? I would appreciate any advice as I am tearing my hair out!! Many thanks
Hi jhampton, and a warm welcome to BE and the MBTTUK area!! Congratulations on your new home in Hertfordshire.

Yes, I'm a dual citizen (US and Britain.) As such, I know I'm a tax resident of the UK now but also have to continue to file US taxes. As I'll be just filing taxes for myself in Britain (my wife being in the U.S. full time,) but filing married filing jointly in the U.S., the whole thing is a bit complex and not-yet-fully-worked-out for us.

So I don't think my situation is quite the same as yours. I suppose you need to work out whether you want to become a Canadian citizen, so you can continue to travel freely to Canada, although this would mean you had ongoing tax responsibilities there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.