The first week back

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:31 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of
Default Re: The first week back

Originally Posted by bigmattE
Apple crumble and custard.
Ooh yes - made with Bramley apples - must go and hunt some down!

Today my #13 in my list of things that ard good about being home is not culinary - it is the Robin. Not the quirky 3 wheeled car, but the small and perfectly formed bird. It brought a smile when he stopped by the front door this morning! I didn't realise how many things I had missed, these past few years...
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
haha I had two egg custard tarts back to back yesterday......
and tonight a T Bone steak with chinese shop gravy yum!!
Ooh, I'd love one of those egg custard tarts!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Love custard tarts - our local tearoom has the most awesome ones! But as for steaks, we've never, ever, ever had a good one over here. We've given up searching for a good one after disappointment upon disappointment.
That's true! I think America knows how to do steaks better.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

So happy for you....going back is not failure, you are still moving forward in your life..I really admire all of you who pluck up the courage to do what feels right and make that move, however difficult it seems. There's me after 15 years still dithering about...US or UK!! the what if's and what will everybody say and how do I do it all etc...

How about the original All Day Breakfast, the high streets, trendy quality clothes, Marks and Spencers, cute solid brick homes/cottages and Brit TV, I can go on and on!!...these must be on your list!!!

Good luck

Last edited by usoruk; Sep 3rd 2011 at 4:18 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all

Do not forget Tesco. I missed it bad. We only really had walmart where we lived and it was like hillbilly day out. We seen some of the weirdest people in walmart. Do not get me started on folk we met in Missouri

Though, I do miss the walmart prices on torches etc. Maglights are so over priced in the UK. Good job I stocked up on all my hiking gear in the states.

I am so looking forward to christmas time in the city. Be my first one in 4 years. The holidays with my family once again.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 3:09 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

.............. Maglights are so over priced in the UK...............
It is amusing how one rather utility item like a Maglite can be marketed as a shiny desirable to another group - it illustrates the difference in desirability values or fashion held in esteem by different societies. It led to us receiving some rather apparently odd choices of Christmas gifts sent from UK to US (including a Maglite)

As for the desire for vehicle vanity number plates in the UK, I am forever puzzled when the significance can only be interpreted if you squint and miss out two of the digits.

All part of the culture adjustment of being back.

Last edited by J.J; Sep 3rd 2011 at 3:25 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all

Originally Posted by J.J
It is amusing how one rather utility item like a Maglite can be marketed as a shiny desirable to another group - it illustrates the difference in desirability values or fashion held in esteem by different societies. It led to us receiving some rather apparently odd choices of Christmas gifts sent from UK to US (including a Maglite)

As for the desire for vehicle vanity number plates in the UK, I am forever puzzled when the significance can only be interpreted if you squint and miss out two of the digits.

All part of the culture adjustment of being back.
Argos and most places only sell the mini maglights in a gift box! and at 14.99 for it.
I was buying a 2 pack of those for $8.99 in walmart. I convert them to LED as they are not that bright at all. And a mini maglight is attached to my mobility scooter key chain. My wife says I have a crazy love of torches lol. I do admit, i kinda collect them. Sure as hell not paying 15 pounds for a mini mag in the UK.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 6:43 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Have you seen the People of Walmart website? You couldn't make it up!

Bramley apples are definitely one of the first things I would have on return to the UK, can't wait...
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:19 am
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

OK, here's today's positive. This may only be a relevant positive when moving from the US.

#14. the price on the ticket is the price you pay. No sales tax added at the till!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:23 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Love custard tarts - our local tearoom has the most awesome ones! But as for steaks, we've never, ever, ever had a good one over here. We've given up searching for a good one after disappointment upon disappointment.

DDL I had a most beautiful steak here the other week. And as you know I have lived in Australia for the past 30 years where steak is a must for any household.

It was at the end of the day at my local Sainsbury's where you can get bargains if you are lucky. I can't remember the cut (don't forget cuts are called by different names here than the US and Australia) but I do remember it was Scottish......got it home and cooked it in some garlic and a bit of olive oil.
Divine.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:31 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
Ooh yes - made with Bramley apples - must go and hunt some down!

Today my #13 in my list of things that ard good about being home is not culinary - it is the Robin. Not the quirky 3 wheeled car, but the small and perfectly formed bird. It brought a smile when he stopped by the front door this morning! I didn't realise how many things I had missed, these past few years...

I love the small birds that dart in and out of the trees here including Mr Robin. When I do my morning walk I almost always see at least one cute little rabbit with a white bobtail or a squirrel.

Last edited by Beedubya; Sep 4th 2011 at 10:34 am.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:56 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
DDL I had a most beautiful steak here the other week. And as you know I have lived in Australia for the past 30 years where steak is a must for any household. It was at the end of the day at my local Sainsbury's where you can get bargains if you are lucky. I can't remember the cut (don't forget cuts are called by different names here than the US and Australia) but I do remember it was Scottish......got it home and cooked it in some garlic and a bit of olive oil.
Divine.

Thanks for this, Barb. I'll bear it in mind (I've heard that Scottish Angus steak is more 'gamey' tasting that steaks that we're used to?) ... but I was talking about eating out.

Me? Cook? Ha! I do as little of it as possible.

BTW, got my latest issue of The Lady on Friday - no Residential Manager jobs in this issue at all. But as promised, whenever I see one, I'll let you know.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
#14. the price on the ticket is the price you pay. No sales tax added at the till!

I'll second that!! It's annoying trying to work out the price plus 6% sales tax on items at the till - I never understood why they can't just add it in the the displayed price on the item/or on the shelf.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your time back so far, it sounds wonderful.

Can I suggest another couple of items to add to the list:- Proper cheese (no plastic crap)
Proper bread - with no sugar added!!
Proper chocolate

Old Sep 4th 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do not forget Tesco. I missed it bad. We only really had walmart where we lived and it was like hillbilly day out. We seen some of the weirdest people in walmart. Do not get me started on folk we met in Missouri

Though, I do miss the walmart prices on torches etc. Maglights are so over priced in the UK. Good job I stocked up on all my hiking gear in the states.

I am so looking forward to christmas time in the city. Be my first one in 4 years. The holidays with my family once again.
Haha, I have to brace myself when walking into our local Walmart and always come leave feeling distinctly 'unclean'. The most bizarre people...where do they come from? Can't beat the prices though and with three kids I appreciate that.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by JustBecause
Have you seen the People of Walmart website? You couldn't make it up! Bramley apples are definitely one of the first things I would have on return to the UK, can't wait...

That was sooo funny, thanks for the Sunday laugh!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.