First Update

Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

brightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to all
Default Re: First Update

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
....... appointment with the job center on Friday, so we'll see how that goes.
Don't know what your looking for....or how you feel about kids...but if you fancy popping into the local primary...they're advertising! my best friend started as temp in her local primary.....seven years later and now a higher level teaching assistant earning more than a new teacher and on full time salary.

https://yourcounciljobs.co.uk/jobdet...Authority_id=4

Ty

Last edited by brightonbelle; Apr 24th 2013 at 3:28 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:35 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brightonbelle
Don't know what your looking for....or how you feel about kids...but if you fancy popping into the local primary...they're advertising! my best friend started as temp in her local primary.....seven years later and now a higher level teaching assistant earning more than a new teacher and on full time salary.

https://yourcounciljobs.co.uk/jobdet...Authority_id=4

Ty

Thanks for that! I've never given much thought to being in a school..lol. I don't think I have much patience for the little dears. But it's given me somewhere else to check and that's with the local council. The school would have been ideal though as it's literally a 5 minute walk away.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the kind words Make sure you pass on that to any employers out there...

I've had a remarkable day today, even though it's been cold, wet and overcast. Bumped into Mrs J today and she mentioned organising an account for the past week (hard to believe I've been here a week already, it feels like I've been here always). That way they can keep their books up to date, which was fine with me too, because in no way was I being pushed for money.

So you can imagine my lovely surprise when she handed me an account for the past 7 days and it was at the discounted rate we'd talked about the other day. I had imagined being charged the B&B rate, especially as I was staying here and having the full bed and breakfast experience. I thought that after our chat the new rate would start as of today which is the beginning of a new week. But they'd charged me the new rate from day one. I couldn't let them do that for the whole week, especially as I'd been having breakfast every day apart from 2, so I paid her extra to cover the meals for those 5 days.

Apart from that I'm staring at the computer screen wondering where to start first when it comes to jobs. All the sites I look at seemingly want you to fill out their own online application forms which are pages long..lol. But I've got an appointment at the job center on Friday, so hopefully I'll get an advisor who's really interested in helping me and can point me in the right direction.

I still can't get over the fact that everyone is so lovely. Strangers saying good morning as you go for a walk, when you walk down narrow lanes and a car comes the driver acknowledges you and waves when you step to one side to let him/her through. Being waved at by the landlady of the pub as you walk past..lol, and best of all is being remembered by the owners of the little post office/store. You get to see the same faces every day and I've been for a walk where the same guys have asked if I've recovered from being drenched a few days ago.. I guess I've got an unforgettable face..

I went for a walk this afternoon because my head was swimming after spending all morning on the Internet, so I popped into the shop and bought myself a meat and potato pie to munch on, on the way home.

Can you gather I've made myself well and truly at home???
Awww, this is so lovely to read. Only been there a week and already have so many friends. Soon you will have sorted a job and a place to live. Only good things for you from now on, love
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I think the job center will be very helpful. They were when I went back. Helped me find my National Insurance number and gave me websites to look for jobs and I joined a "work club" which helped with resume (cv) and even provided postage stamps and envelopes if needed. Nothing like that here in the US. Here you are pretty much on your own. Just reminder of how terrible it can be here. I went to a clinic Monday for a doc appt. I am out of a job right now. I have been searching, anyway the doctor ranted about Obama and how she did not want to spend a penny of her paycheck on lazy people for their medical etc etc etc She assumes everyone who isn't working is lazy!! So even though I am classified as on the poverty level I still had to cough up $70. $20 for the visit and $50 for the blood work. My meds are generic so only $4.00 each but if you get homesick, remember the medical, the heat, the transport, the guns etc etc etc....
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

It's so lovely to read all your updates and moreso because you're obviously very happy in your little village

Keep on writing please, all of it is making me more and more anxious to get back there
Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
It's so lovely to read all your updates and moreso because you're obviously very happy in your little village

Keep on writing please, all of it is making me more and more anxious to get back there
Me, too!! So much so, in fact, I keep saying to myself maybe I can do it in within the year!!!

I can dream, can't I??
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Me, too!! So much so, in fact, I keep saying to myself maybe I can do it in within the year!!!

I can dream, can't I??
Of course you can do it! Look at Whofan. She did! Didn't have everything lined up but it's working out well. Same could for you too, windsong. Go for it!!!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:17 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windsong

I can dream, can't I??
Of course you can ! If you work towards that goal...you can probably have more of your ducks in a row than I did, but as Perth said 'if I can do it - so can you'. I'm loving every second of being home! Don't just dream...make it a reality!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:20 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by ElizabethK

I'm very happy in my little village. I always get a big thrill out of going into Oldham and catching the bus back...following the little winding roads and turning the corner to see all the green hills. It's like stepping into a postcard

I'm sure that once you get back you'll see what I mean about having a great sense of peace! It's like no other feeling! Even though I've not got a job yet, I'm not stressed about it like I would be in the US, because everyone here is so helpful.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:28 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Well today I registered with a GP, so now that has the NHS number all sorted out. I should get that within a couple of weeks they said. Tomorrow when I go to the job centre they'll help with my NI number, so that will be another thing to cross off my TO DO list. I've opened a bank account and I'm just waiting for some paperwork to arrive so I can transfer my Australian drivers license over to a UK one.

It was so funny at the GP this morning. I filled out all the paperwork and they said I'll get a call about doing a health assessment (standard for new patients). I went in to see the nurse practitioner (just because I wanted to have something checked out while i was there) and when I left I went back to reception and asked if there was a charge. She smiled at me and said ' You're British..so there's no charge'. Try doing THAT in the US..lol.

I'm looking out my window right now and the fog has come down over the hills and I'm waiting for the kettle to boil so I can make a cup of Yorkshire Tea I have a packet of Jaffa Cakes ready too! I can't print out my CV so I've loaded it onto a memory stick for tomorrow just in case they are able to access it. I've gone through it all and amended the spelling because it's so 'American'

I'm looking forward to going to the job centre tomorrow because I know that once I meet my advisor they're going to be able to help me out and point me in the right direction.

So that's my update for today. lol
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:36 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by morayeel
I think the job center will be very helpful. They were when I went back. Helped me find my National Insurance number and gave me websites to look for jobs and I joined a "work club" which helped with resume (cv) and even provided postage stamps and envelopes if needed. Nothing like that here in the US. Here you are pretty much on your own. Just reminder of how terrible it can be here. I went to a clinic Monday for a doc appt. I am out of a job right now. I have been searching, anyway the doctor ranted about Obama and how she did not want to spend a penny of her paycheck on lazy people for their medical etc etc etc She assumes everyone who isn't working is lazy!! So even though I am classified as on the poverty level I still had to cough up $70. $20 for the visit and $50 for the blood work. My meds are generic so only $4.00 each but if you get homesick, remember the medical, the heat, the transport, the guns etc etc etc....

I've not been homesick for the US for those exact reasons. I love being able to just get on a bus and if I wanted to I could go anywhere. There's nothing on the news about guns and gun violence, if I want to go to the Dr I can and not have to pay an arm and a leg just for a 5 minute consultation. Don't get me wrong...the UK has it's good and bad parts too, just like anywhere else in the world...there's crime here too, there's poverty, the economy isn't the greatest. But as others have said and something I will agree with wholeheartedly... I'd rather be broke but happy in the UK than broke and miserable in the US.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:51 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news on the B&B and the job search. Well done for making things happen. I'm sure I'd just want to stroll along eating chocolate and pies and sausage rolls and crisps watching the lambs skipping about in the fields.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Whofan, it seems such a novelty to go to the doctor without having to get your purse out, doesn't it? Another thing to note is if you have to have meds "for life", like thyroid medication or if you need cancer drugs you can get a prescription exemption card which waives all charges and works for all your medication.
Hoping, of course this doesn't apply to you but if it does its worth knowing about!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:02 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very happy in my little village. I always get a big thrill out of going into Oldham and catching the bus back...following the little winding roads and turning the corner to see all the green hills. It's like stepping into a postcard

I'm sure that once you get back you'll see what I mean about having a great sense of peace! It's like no other feeling! Even though I've not got a job yet, I'm not stressed about it like I would be in the US, because everyone here is so helpful.
I'm really enjoying your updates and I can just picture that bus ride lol! I liked what you said about having that feeling of peace, that's what I'm most looking forward to. I've been in the ANZAC day parade here today and even though it was great I was sweating all day and two people fainted in the heat during the ceremony so I was kept busy! I've just got in from a call out, it's 0200 hrs and I feel really stressed so just reading your posts to calm me down so I can try and get back to sleep!

Good luck with the job hunting
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:51 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by MissBetty
I'm really enjoying your updates and I can just picture that bus ride lol! I liked what you said about having that feeling of peace, that's what I'm most looking forward to. I've been in the ANZAC day parade here today and even though it was great I was sweating all day and two people fainted in the heat during the ceremony so I was kept busy! I've just got in from a call out, it's 0200 hrs and I feel really stressed so just reading your posts to calm me down so I can try and get back to sleep!

Good luck with the job hunting
Aww bless. I'm better than a sleeping pill . I just came back from a walk and from watching the lambs jumping about. It's so much fun when they jump on all fours . So sorry to hear about your Anzac Day. It Gould t still be hot there should it?? Take a cool shower and head to bed

One of these days ill take my video camera, go on the top deck and record the journey on the bus lol. Once I figure out how to post it on BE lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.