First Update

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: First Update

Oooooooh, I LOVE Greggs I wonder if you're allowed to eat the merchandise for free if you work there

Don't you hate this whole "you have to apply online", shite though? It seems to be the way that everyone hires people these days but I loathe it.

Good luck though with it all, it certainly sounds as though you're really beginning to settle in now. . . never been to Oldham but I sort of imagined it wouldn't be the prettiest of towns in the North West somehow. I bet it makes you appreciate your beautiful little village even more when you get home.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Well here is Update number, whatever number I'm up to..

I went out early this morning and caught the bus into Oldham. Followed other people off the bus because I had no idea where I was going so figured someone would lead me in the right direction and I could always ask if i got lost.lol. I apparently got off at the right place because I was right where I wanted to be (near the big shopping center) I had a bit of a wander, had my hair cut, checked out the shops, found where the job center is and after about 3 hours I caught the bus back. I'm getting quite good at catching buses.. lol

When I got back I caught up with Mrs J, who said she and Mr B had a chat last night and this is what they came up with: I could stay at the B&B in my room, and cater for myself and for £120 per week that would include everything, from electricity, water, Internet, TV. They're also going to either give me a microwave so I can do some hot meals at night, or they're going to do up the back kitchen for me. It must be the kitchen they used before they remodelled and put the new one in! It's apparently right across from my room and I never noticed because the door is always locked. They also said I could use their washer which uses solar power and doesn't cost anything with electricity, although they might need to get it checked because even on the quick cycle it's taking 90 minutes to do a cycle. It does 11kgs worth of stuff so I said that in return I'd do my own laundry and the sheets and the towels and that way get a full load. Just like I would if I were renting a flat!

I also mentioned about the power outlets because right now there is just two near the wall which take the TV and the fridge, so if I want to make a brew I've got to carry the kettle over near the bathroom and plug it in there, where there are another two outlets. I mentioned that, because if they do decide to just go ahead and put a microwave in here, I'm either going to need a power board or the microwave is going to go near the door where the wardrobe (hanging space) is. I wanted to bring that to her attention because I didn't want to plug something in and blow a fuse, and I didn't really want to have to unplug the fridge to plug in the microwave, cook something and then unplug the microwave and plug back in the fridge. LOl

So once again Mrs J is going to chat to Mr B about what they can do. Seems like the best option is putting the microwave into the old kitchen. It all depends on what they have in there and whether it can be used.

While I was having my hair cut I was chatting (as you do) to the hairdresser and she mentioned about a place called Greggs who were always calling out for more staff...so after my hair was done I walked down there and went in. They said it's all done online now, so they gave me the web address. It would be a great place to work because it's a bakery and as you walk in the door all you can smell are delicious pies, sausage rolls and cakes.

I could work in Oldham, but from what I saw I couldn't live in Oldham. It's very run down. But then again that was the center of town, so wouldn't be living in the middle of town.. As with anywhere else, there are the good parts of town, and the bad parts of town.

So for now I'm staying where I am ! Besides, it's such a wonderful feeling to get on the bus and once you get out of Oldham to turn that corner and you hit those quaint little streets and shops and you see those beautiful hills and the sheep Feels like coming home!

I also opened a bank account this morning and had no problems whatsoever. I went into Lloyds TSB (I'd actually emailed them from the US before I left and asked about the difficulties I might face opening a bank account with no job). I just handed over my UK passport, told them I was living at a B&B so that address was put in as my home address, but my mailing address was put down as my friends address, so any mail will go to her. I will ask Mrs J though about putting this address down and if they'd have a problem getting any mail for me here? I've never seen a mailman since I've been here, so I don't know whether they come up here or whether there's just a PO box they use. Another question for me to ask!!

Now I feel a little more settled on the home front, I can concentrate now on registering for work. The sooner I get a job, the sooner I can stop worrying about running out of money.
That's fantastic, love Sounds like you have the best landlords in the world (even though there was that problem at the beginning.) I think they are probably trying to make up for it. Did you sign up at the job center? You should be able to get benefits and assistance, and also, I just read, you get NI credits whilst being signed up, so that's good too.

Funny you should mention Gregg's. That's where my Brit friend here (who owns her own little shop) wants to work when she gets back! If you do decide to follow up, let me know if there are any tips I can pass on to her. She'll be going back to Chesterfield.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Whofan!
I noticed an advert on TV last night for a programme about Greggs, so it could be worth watching. Their Chelsea buns are my downfall, they are huge!
Well,it sounds like for now things are working out, and, yes you have an indomitable spirit,as someone said.
Fancy having a secret kitchen! I hope you get the use of it. And who are these people who just "happen to have" a little cottage tucked away?
I wish you luck with the job search. Not everyone recruits online, sometimes it's just a poster in a shop window, but I bet your eyes are peeled for them.
What kind of work did you do before you moved? Only asking in case anyone on here can suggest where you might try. In the meantime, I hope things keep looking up for you!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Oh just love your updates, talk about synchronicity which always works when you put the word out what you want! Greggs looks like a good company to work for! And all those goodies
Sounds like you could stay at B&B for a while while job hunting and perhaps you will get some benefit from Job Centre as well to help with the financials.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am enjoying your updates as well. Making me very homesick. Not been back to UK since 2008..
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:19 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

It all sounds really good Mrs Who! Well done you! Look at all that you've done!

Thought you might like this. It's a masterpiece of a quilt:

http://stlouisfolkvictorian.blogspot...-known-as.html
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:54 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf

OMG OMG OMG I SO want that..
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Fab update. So nice you can stay at the bed and breakfast for a reduced rate. Hopefully you will be able find something a little cheaper but then you would have to pay council tax. greggs. I love the sausage rolls and pies and EVERTHING else they have for sale in there. DELICIOUS. I like you, have been applying for jobs online here in the US. Very frustrating. Quite often there will be some kind of clitch half way through applying and you have to start over. The good thing about over in the UK you don't have to worry about health insurance!! and about your car breaking down either! Glad you managed the buses and trains and you are finding your way around, great stuff... look forward to more updates.. take care xx
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

brightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Well here is Update number, whatever number I'm up to.. ...... I could stay at the B&B in my room, and cater for myself and for £120 per week that would include everything, from electricity, water, Internet, TV. :
Been reading your updates, couldn't help myself and looked online for places around the area your in. £120 per week is a lot!

Below is a link to a room in a house share.....so not only your own room but the rest of the house facilities for £75 pw (inc bills)

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare...D124968587%26&

Might not be of interest to you, but I figured it was better to post up and you not want it...than the other way round!

Ty
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:32 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brightonbelle
Been reading your updates, couldn't help myself and looked online for places around the area your in. £120 per week is a lot!

Below is a link to a room in a house share.....so not only your own room but the rest of the house facilities for £75 pw (inc bills)

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare...D124968587%26&

Might not be of interest to you, but I figured it was better to post up and you not want it...than the other way round!

Ty
Hiya, thanks for that and it was an ad I'd already enquired about even before I got here. What with the passport delays and everything, the room had already gone by the time I arrived, so I don't know why it's still showing as being available. But thanks for looking into that. I did do searches for house shares and after just getting out of a house share situation I didn't really feel like I wanted to 'share' again. I know I can't afford to be picky right now, but I wanted the peace and quiet of having my own space if that makes sense?? I do keep looking at the spare room web sites just in case I can see one in my area.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking maybe you could go to the letting agency and advise them you are looking for a one bedroom and they might just let you know before advertising it?? Just a thought..
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:51 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by morayeel
I was thinking maybe you could go to the letting agency and advise them you are looking for a one bedroom and they might just let you know before advertising it?? Just a thought..
Thanks for the idea..but I'd probably be in the same situation I am right now with regards to deposit. I've been in touch with one agency who had a lovely one bedroom for rent in Greenfield for £400 pcm. They said they'd consider me if I could get two references AND someone to stand guarantor for me and who's name would also go on the lease. As I can't do that right now, it doesn't seem much point in pursuing the issue! I think my priority right now is getting a job and even though what I am paying here seems high compared with house shares, I'm in an area I love, have a roof over my head and all bills are covered, and soon I'll have my own kitchen to cook in.

So I think I'll stick where I am and concentrate on getting a job. Once I can do that I can re-evaluate where I am and find somewhere closer if need be.

Have an appointment with the job center on Friday, so we'll see how that goes.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

These updates are so great, thank you so much for taking the time to post. I am filled with admiration for everything you have got done already. I can tell any employer would be lucky to get you!

Keep the updates coming!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:50 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by NiHao
These updates are so great, thank you so much for taking the time to post. I am filled with admiration for everything you have got done already. I can tell any employer would be lucky to get you!

Keep the updates coming!
Thanks so much for the kind words Make sure you pass on that to any employers out there...

I've had a remarkable day today, even though it's been cold, wet and overcast. Bumped into Mrs J today and she mentioned organising an account for the past week (hard to believe I've been here a week already, it feels like I've been here always). That way they can keep their books up to date, which was fine with me too, because in no way was I being pushed for money.

So you can imagine my lovely surprise when she handed me an account for the past 7 days and it was at the discounted rate we'd talked about the other day. I had imagined being charged the B&B rate, especially as I was staying here and having the full bed and breakfast experience. I thought that after our chat the new rate would start as of today which is the beginning of a new week. But they'd charged me the new rate from day one. I couldn't let them do that for the whole week, especially as I'd been having breakfast every day apart from 2, so I paid her extra to cover the meals for those 5 days.

Apart from that I'm staring at the computer screen wondering where to start first when it comes to jobs. All the sites I look at seemingly want you to fill out their own online application forms which are pages long..lol. But I've got an appointment at the job center on Friday, so hopefully I'll get an advisor who's really interested in helping me and can point me in the right direction.

I still can't get over the fact that everyone is so lovely. Strangers saying good morning as you go for a walk, when you walk down narrow lanes and a car comes the driver acknowledges you and waves when you step to one side to let him/her through. Being waved at by the landlady of the pub as you walk past..lol, and best of all is being remembered by the owners of the little post office/store. You get to see the same faces every day and I've been for a walk where the same guys have asked if I've recovered from being drenched a few days ago.. I guess I've got an unforgettable face..

I went for a walk this afternoon because my head was swimming after spending all morning on the Internet, so I popped into the shop and bought myself a meat and potato pie to munch on, on the way home.

Can you gather I've made myself well and truly at home???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.