Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

It feels like we never went...

It feels like we never went...

Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:00 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It feels like we never went...

Maple Ridge, Port Moody - -and maybe Burnaby joining the great leap from Canada!

Just not settled AT ALL - can feel it in my bones - need to get home!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Maple Ridge, Port Moody - -and maybe Burnaby joining the great leap from Canada!

I am getting so much support from this site and fellow expats..

my husband returns to work in the UK in January 2010 (he took a career break). me and the kids are here till the end of the school year - my eldest needs to graduate here or else she has no quals from either country and that would be an injustice to her. It will be a long 6 months without being together as a family - as I close everything up and switch off the light!! but I am excited that we are doing what we need to do.

House has been on the market 3 weeks. The first step in the process is underway

Elaine
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:40 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Griff
I am getting so much support from this site and fellow expats..

my husband returns to work in the UK in January 2010 (he took a career break). me and the kids are here till the end of the school year - my eldest needs to graduate here or else she has no quals from either country and that would be an injustice to her. It will be a long 6 months without being together as a family - as I close everything up and switch off the light!! but I am excited that we are doing what we need to do.

House has been on the market 3 weeks. The first step in the process is underway

Elaine
well you can pm me if you need a friend or helping hand . . am up in Maple Ridge tomorrow - at the Goodlife at Meadow town . .
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:40 am
Just Joined

debz12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, deep down you know maybe its not Canada I pine for it's most probably the UK TBH I never wanted to come here to NZ it was my hubby who was mad keen! One of my UK m8s has just gone home after being here 6 years, loves it, no regrets, I was so mardy and jealous when she went Even after 11 years I get sooo homesick, maybe when the kids have finished their schooling....... who knows eh?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

How long have you been in Burnaby?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:19 am
half a century

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
How long have you been in Burnaby?
only since April - pathetic innit!!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I knew you'd been having wobbles Carolyn but I didn't know it was this bad - I guess the trip back next week will make the decision for you? Sorry to hear things aren't getting better for you. I (and the rest of the gang) are here for you - don't ever hesitate to call/message/text/shout or whatever...friends can't make it feel right but hopefully we can help things along a little

Big hug

Adele xxx
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:03 am
half a century

Originally Posted by adele
I knew you'd been having wobbles Carolyn but I didn't know it was this bad - I guess the trip back next week will make the decision for you? Sorry to hear things aren't getting better for you. I (and the rest of the gang) are here for you - don't ever hesitate to call/message/text/shout or whatever...friends can't make it feel right but hopefully we can help things along a little

Big hug

Adele xxx
Thanks hun - will let you know when I need to scream ! xxxxx yup = am looking forward to and dreading this trip . . . .
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Hi mate. Sorry to hear that. What is it you're finding hard?

....and what part of Saaaarf London you from ? I'm a Battersea-ite - though nowadays they pronounce it Ba-TER-sia!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope not pathetic at all, admitedly it is the first few months or so that's the hardest but after 4 years I had the opportunity to jump my Canadian ship and head back to Blighty, so thats what we all did. To say it was the best thing we ever did would be an understatement...
Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:30 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It feels like you never went ... because you hardly did. I mean, seriously - what did you expect to have changed in under nine months?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

I don't think it's pathetic at all, you can't help how you feel and it's different for all of us . Some people know pretty much straight away that it's not for them and pay no attention to those who sat " Well what did you expect?" The truth is that none of us really know how we will feel when we get here no matter how much we research. We loved it for the first 10 months or so and did n't even think about the UK. Then the homesickness set in and has never really gone away.
Sending you some karma
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Not at all pathetic. The time it takes for all us immigrants to Canada to realise that the UK is the place for them is different for everyone. For some it's many years, for others it's a few months. The best thing is realising something is wrong, working out that it could be life in Canada and then making a "sanity check" visit to the UK to see around those rose tinted glasses we sometimes wear.

We were in Canada for 10 months before bouncing back to the UK after a bout of homesickness and then bouncing back to Canada for another few years before the light bulb went on for us!

We've been here in Canada six years now (Maple Ridge currently) and the house sold last week, hopefully the final condition for the sale is lifted on time tomorrow and we'll be on a flight to the UK (please, please) on the 11th December.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:42 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by Hutch
It feels like you never went ... because you hardly did. I mean, seriously - what did you expect to have changed in under nine months?
We arrived here last dec - been in this house since April - I knew when we arrived in Dec it was wrong . . .
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived here last dec - been in this house since April - I knew when we arrived in Dec it was wrong . . .
Haven't been in here for ages, what a shock, when are you back hun,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.