In Devon

Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Devon

Touch wood, I have found the call centres to be quite nice and helpful. I actually find the Indian accents easier to understand than some of the regional British ones.

Glad things are going well for you, Editha.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:15 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I've been unlucky, or possibly my experience is more general as this Downfall parody suggests:

I also complained about Scottish Power. So to be fair, I should report that a fortnight ago I rang them again and unexpectedly found myself talking to an intelligent life form. Five hours later, around half of which I'd spent on hold, the problem I'd rung them about several weeks earlier had been sorted. That I count this as a good experience is testament to how well I'm adapting to the British way of life.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:02 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Another update, for no reason except that I'm down in the dumps and need distracting.

I had planned to spend this week in London and Sussex, but I had to cancel because of my broken foot. I have a personal tradition of visiting Fortnum and Mason's and admiring the lights in Oxford Street and Regent Street before Christmas, but I'm going to miss it this year.

It is deeply ironical. I injure easily because I have hypermobile joints, so I spent 8 winters in Alberta worried about slipping on the ice, only to trip over a stool and break a metatarsal within four months of returning home.

OH, on the other hand, suffered badly from the mosquitoes in Alberta, but has now discovered that not only do we have mosquitoes in North Devon, but they are still biting in late November.

Apart from that though, we have no regrets!

This is going to be a quieter Christmas than we are used to. We usually hold a party, but we haven't got to know many local people yet, so it will just be a sherry and mince-pies do for the few neighbours we have met. My temporary disability meant that we also missed out on tickets to various events in the village which were sold out before we became aware they were on sale.

We did enjoy Halloween. I asked my neighbour if local kids went trick or treating. She said they just went to friends' houses by prior arrangement, so I said we'd be willing for her kids to call and any of their friends. We had fun choosing the sweets; there is a really good sweet shop in Bideford that had all the Halloween candy, and OH carved a pumpkin. On the night we had thirteen kids call, all at once, supervised by their parents! Pretty good for such a small hamlet as ours.

This is an exceptionally mild winter so far, but despite that we are getting through the wood and oil we bought at a terrifying rate. Our fuel bill is going to be much higher than I budgeted for. On the other hand, as I expected, our food bills are coming down as I discover the best places to shop.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 9:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The foot business is really annoying as it hampers so much doesn't it. It was my ankle when I fell over my own flip flop . Was quite hard and tiring trying to get around. Very frustrating.

Sounds like you did have a fun Halloween.

I miss Northern Hemisphere Christmas. I love that it gets dark early and winter so there is cosy cheer within a home. Yours may be a quieter Christmas than you are used to but it still is Christmas and one to cherish in your new home .

I have bought a very expensive turkey this year and so will do all the trimmings with that. Thing is it is summer with light evenings until 8pm so the mood is never the same , to me anyway.

Hope you feel a little more cheery soon. Think of me in the heat of the summer roasting a turkey, when you are all cosy with your pies and sherry.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Another update, for no reason except that I'm down in the dumps and need distracting.

I had planned to spend this week in London and Sussex, but I had to cancel because of my broken foot. I have a personal tradition of visiting Fortnum and Mason's and admiring the lights in Oxford Street and Regent Street before Christmas, but I'm going to miss it this year.

It is deeply ironical. I injure easily because I have hypermobile joints, so I spent 8 winters in Alberta worried about slipping on the ice, only to trip over a stool and break a metatarsal within four months of returning home.

OH, on the other hand, suffered badly from the mosquitoes in Alberta, but has now discovered that not only do we have mosquitoes in North Devon, but they are still biting in late November.

Apart from that though, we have no regrets!

This is going to be a quieter Christmas than we are used to. We usually hold a party, but we haven't got to know many local people yet, so it will just be a sherry and mince-pies do for the few neighbours we have met. My temporary disability meant that we also missed out on tickets to various events in the village which were sold out before we became aware they were on sale.

We did enjoy Halloween. I asked my neighbour if local kids went trick or treating. She said they just went to friends' houses by prior arrangement, so I said we'd be willing for her kids to call and any of their friends. We had fun choosing the sweets; there is a really good sweet shop in Bideford that had all the Halloween candy, and OH carved a pumpkin. On the night we had thirteen kids call, all at once, supervised by their parents! Pretty good for such a small hamlet as ours.

This is an exceptionally mild winter so far, but despite that we are getting through the wood and oil we bought at a terrifying rate. Our fuel bill is going to be much higher than I budgeted for. On the other hand, as I expected, our food bills are coming down as I discover the best places to shop.
Thank you for the update--hope you feel less down in the dumps today!

There was dreadful gloomy fog this morning in Gloucestershire but now the sun is breaking through...

Yes, so ironic that after all those years in icy Alberta, you break a foot in the comfort of your own home in Devon! And a shame about the mosquitos....

Pity you will miss the London Christmas visit too.

On the other hand, even to have met (and liked, one hopes!) enough neighbours to want to invite them round for sherry and mince pie is a Good Thing.....

we too hope to have some neighbours and friends round for pre-Christmas drinks or something...
Old Nov 27th 2014, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's a good thing places don't live up to their names. My parents used to live close to Pratt's Bottom.
!!!
Old Nov 27th 2014, 11:57 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by between two worlds
!!!
Sorry! I got threads muddled up. This was a contribution to the place-names discussion.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry! I got threads muddled up. This was a contribution to the place-names discussion.
Ha thanks for clarifying, it did seem a non sequitur to me, but I just assumed I must have missed something!