Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Old Dec 27th 2013, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
Well said! The heat and expense of New Zealand is why after several years of farting about, I've made up my mind that I want to leave within at least 2 years.
Heat of NZ...seriously?
Old Dec 27th 2013, 1:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Heat of NZ...seriously?
Yes. Seriously. NZ is made up of micro-climates. Some areas are hot and muggy. Lack of ozone means little protection against the sun.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:05 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes. Seriously. NZ is made up of micro-climates. Some areas are hot and muggy. Lack of ozone means little protection against the sun.
Exactly!!
Old Dec 30th 2013, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Have just discovered this thread, and of course I too was disconcerted by its title!

Glad you're now home again in the UK.

Was fascinated by your description of life in the tropics--good to read as wind howls and rain lashes the windows here-- lots and lots of stuff i would loathe, esp the bugs and mould. Reminds me of being in Bermuda, thinking how lovely it would be to live there, then reading a book by a Brit expat outlining the things to be prepared for, and this mould issue was one of them.

Just all goes to show you can't know what living in a place would be like until you actually do live there!
Old Dec 30th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Have just discovered this thread, and of course I too was disconcerted by its title!

Was fascinated by your description of life in the tropics--good to read as wind howls and rain lashes the windows here-- lots and lots of stuff i would loathe, esp the bugs and mould. Reminds me of being in Bermuda, thinking how lovely it would be to live there, then reading a book by a Brit expat outlining the things to be prepared for, and this mould issue was one of them.

Just all goes to show you can't know what living in a place would be like until you actually do live there!
Mould is a big problem in the UK as well, I didn't experience it any time during all my years in Australia. Here it knocked me for six.

And as for bugs, flys, bees, wasps and spiders, they bother me more in England because there are no insect doors or screens. They say "here's another open place, we can annoy this idiot before we go to the next one!"
Old Dec 30th 2013, 11:05 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds

Lol! Yes glad to be back even though today is very windy and rainy by the seaside! Happily sat at my desk today doing all my paperwork with a cuppa and the central heating on. Mould is a real problem in FNQ but I never had any problems in Perth to be fair as it was a far more dry heat!

I just didn't realise what I was letting myself in for really so thank God for my lovely neighbour who helped me out so much. I don't have any problems in my flat in the UK but my sister had a few problems with mould in her bathroom. Its now all been treated with warm water, vinegar and oil of cloves - Betty to the rescue!!!! Mould be gone!!!
Old Dec 30th 2013, 11:18 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Lol! Yes glad to be back even though today is very windy and rainy by the seaside! Happily sat at my desk today doing all my paperwork with a cuppa and the central heating on. Mould is a real problem in FNQ but I never had any problems in Perth to be fair as it was a far more dry heat!

I just didn't realise what I was letting myself in for really so thank God for my lovely neighbour who helped me out so much. I don't have any problems in my flat in the UK but my sister had a few problems with mould in her bathroom. Its now all been treated with warm water, vinegar and oil of cloves - Betty to the rescue!!!! Mould be gone!!!
We found that the mould cleaner solution from Lakeland in the UK worked brilliantly, and the effect lasted for several months, you do need to use it early in the day if it's somewhere like a bedroom as the smell does linger.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

The Tropics have a beauty that says look but don't touch. There is a lot to be admired but you must be cautious, if you are naïve it can be a deadly mistake.

England has a close-up beauty. Delightful brooks with stone bridges overhung on one side by a crooked oak. A Hobbit country. It does not have views as grand as the Alps or lush tropical rainforests but where else can you sit down in any meadow and feel at ease that there is nothing treacherous creeping in the grass ready to sting or bite?

If we have a sunny and warm June, I maintain that England for that month is the most beautiful country of any that I have ever visited. However, that is also reversible claim for the months of October-March.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:56 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Mould is a big problem in the UK as well, I didn't experience it any time during all my years in Australia. Here it knocked me for six.

And as for bugs, flys, bees, wasps and spiders, they bother me more in England because there are no insect doors or screens. They say "here's another open place, we can annoy this idiot before we go to the next one!"
Really? I don't remember it being big in the UK, in fact in the 35+ years I lived there I only remember seeing it in student houses.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 4:58 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries

We had 10 times the mould problem in Brisbane than we do here and here we live in a 400 year old house.
As for bugs, nothing to compare apart from the odd fly.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Really? I don't remember it being big in the UK, in fact in the 35+ years I lived there I only remember seeing it in student houses.
No student houses in this area as far as I know. I'm in leafy Wellswood on the lower side of a hill with a valley in front of me. Perhaps too many trees and bushes in this intensely hilly area, a nightmare for walking when the leaves fall and rot, and it rains a lot. We have two large protected pines in our forecourt (would be disastrous if they toppled), but most buildings in the area are surrounded by trees, high hedges and walls.

Taken from Wikipedia . . .

"Wellswood and the Lincombes were built up by wealthy Victorians who, influenced by their travels around the Mediterranean, built large villas with Italianate features and towers. There are many pine trees, Bay bushes and trees (Laurus nobilis), various palm tree species and Phormiums."

Adelaide has a much dryer climate, I didn't see damp in any of the places I lived there, much like MissBetty in Perth.

Last edited by aries; Dec 30th 2013 at 8:00 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 4:14 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Because it's called "damp" in the UK. Ever heard of that? Damp and mould go hand-in-hand.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 11:56 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Because it's called "damp" in the UK. Ever heard of that? Damp and mould go hand-in-hand.
Strangely enough I have heard of damp and mould - just don't remember them being a big problem in the UK - just occuring in student houses where they appear unable to open a window.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Bathroom mould seems about the same to me (Canberra and Cambridge) but have just discovered Astonish mould and mildew remover - excellent stuff! Leather moulded much more in Canberra - I'm betting there will be shoes and bags still left over there which will be tossable only.

I'm with Aries on the lack of fly screens though, I do miss the fly wire door but thank goodness there are far fewer flies and other bugs wanting to get in, even when the DH is cooking some of his stinky meats!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 12:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Damp/mould/condensation is becoming more of a problem in the UK again, apparently due to people being unable to heat their houses (energy costs) ... thought it was a newspiece on the BBC site but can't find it.

I remember growing up in a council flat in the 70s and water streaming down the bedroom windows and wallpaper peeling off the walls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.