Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

I did have a good laugh at your post MissB, not your misfortune though
Its hard for me because I love Australia but I just dont belong there or indeed feel comfortable there.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:11 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Originally Posted by NiHao
OMG you have the most amazing adventures! Sorry about the bad bits of this surprise trip back but hopefully the last couple of weeks will go better and before you know it you will be back in the UK.
I always enjoy your posts
Thank you lol! Yes I need to go home and soon!

Originally Posted by vetnurse1
Great entertainment! I loved your shopping list the best!
Seriously thank you for posting as I've been having doubts about returning recently and have started to get a bit down about it all. This cheered me up no end!
A girl's gotta get her priorities right! Hang on in there, I was a mess my last 6 months before returning but the upshot is I now really appreciate all the things I took for granted before

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Blimey ! You must be one hell of a great paramedic if they were prepared to fly you to Aus for 2 weeks work. Well done you.
Once again, you are counting the days 'till it's time to go back to Britain ! Hope you end up financially better off at the end of it and you haven't ended up using your wages to fund your mis-haps whilst there.
Oh bless! If only that was the case, they just needed someone who had Aussie citizenship! I actually made good money but I have had a lot of expenses here which is bloody annoying!

Originally Posted by britsinnz
Saw this and thought of your book, what will the title be?
Right now I think it would be 'Betty Goes Bonkers!' ha ha!

Originally Posted by brightonbelle
some people are just gluttens for punishment

so fate has finally slapped yer round the face and pointed out all the bad luck is in Oz.....and all the good luck is in UK

BB recommends that on your arrival back HOME you buy a lotto or something similar.....get that good luck rolling again

lets hope theres not a part two to this ......"miss betty's flight gets cancelled, spends crimbo in Oz"

BB
Honestly this place is cursed for me! I shall never tempt fate again after this last fiasco!!!!

Originally Posted by lf1
Good grief, don't scare me like that. When I saw the title I thought "no, she has lost the plot". What a relief to read the whole story. Great to hear from you again
Thank you! Yes I feel you may be on the right track with the 'lost the plot' statement though!!!

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Well Miss Betty, I think this trip (not the one where you busted open your foot - ouch!) was the best thing to happen to you, n'est pas? You already knew you were doing the right thing in going home - but now you REALLY know it Hope you heal up soon and are able to relax and enjoy the rest of your vacation with your BRITISH friends
Yep, the universe is speaking to me loud and clear, I'm just waiting for one of those Monty Python fingers to come pointing out of the sky and a voice booming "GO HOME!!!!"

Originally Posted by dunroving
Wow, we all lead such boring lives compared to you.
Seriously, what a great opportunity to ensure you won't have any "What if?" moments. Definitely worth a stubbed toe.
It was! The irony was not lost on me as I stepped out into the sunshine at Melbourne Airport with my Aussie passport and the immigration guy said "Hey, welcome home!" I did manage a smile albeit a rather weak one!!!!

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Wow, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw your headline!
Sorry about your foot again and the misery you had to go through but it does reinforce your home as the best place to be!

Pity it cost so much to find out. Still when you are back at Christmas you will probably have a good laugh! Hope you get more assignments off-shore as they sound like a winner financially and you are obviously very good! If I ever needed a paramedic I would wish it to be you! Not thinking of moving again to IOW anytime soon?
Lol! Thanks for the kind words, no I'm not but one of my best friends works on the helicopter for your NHS ambulance service. She came here for 9 months and was like wtf?!! and buggered off very quickly! She is an outstanding paramedic so you will be in safe hands!

Originally Posted by curleytops
ok I'm sorry, I've just picked myself up off the floor where I've been rolling around laughing

Flaming h*ll Miss B you don't do anything in half measures do you? Now, in addition to all else you've got all the makings of a great sequel! Was just wondering how you were doing the other day, thanks for the update
Ha ha! You are welcome! Yeah its all been a bit weird, I'm just hanging onto my dream of a nice cold Xmas, round the fire at my Mum's drinking Baileys and fighting with my Dad over the remote!!!!

Originally Posted by quoll
Good grief! What were you thinking, woman? Ah well, at least you've got great friends and you will no doubt help their transition back to civilization! Was just "reading" an audio book about your neck of the woods today as I ambled through Grantchester and thought I hadn't seen any of your posts for a while! Weird or what!
I know I know!!!! As us 'Aussies' say - ya wouldn't read about it would ya?!!!! Just don't say my name aloud three times or I may appear ha ha ha!!!!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:16 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I did have a good laugh at your post MissB, not your misfortune though
Its hard for me because I love Australia but I just dont belong there or indeed feel comfortable there.
Yes I know what you mean as you as I both grew up here and seem to have had similar experiences.

In the spirit of fairness we had a bit of a discussion last night over dinner about how we all might have been happier and settled better if we had gone somewhere like Sydney or Melbourne - not so hot and humid, more culture etc. I just find Brisbane boring and soulless tbh.

I don't belong here, I just don't but at least this time I'm only here for a short time!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

It must be really hard to grow up somewhere as a child and not really feel you belong. It is bad enough as an expat moving to a different country and feeling that something is not quite right and to feel a bit of an outsider!
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 11:54 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by feelbritish
It must be really hard to grow up somewhere as a child and not really feel you belong. It is bad enough as an expat moving to a different country and feeling that something is not quite right and to feel a bit of an outsider!
I lived in many different places when I was a child as my parents loved to travel. I realise now what a great opportunity it was and I never thought anything of it at the time as it was normal for us! However now if someone asks me "Where are you from?" it's not an easy question for me to answer but I must admit I feel most 'at home' in the UK.

Not sure where my next posting will be but hopefully somewhere interesting where I've not been before. A girl I know who works for the same medic agency has just been sent to Azerbaijan and there is talk of a contract coming up in Kurdistan soon - fingers crossed! I just really don't want to come back here again - 8 sleeps til I'm home

Last edited by MissBetty; Nov 23rd 2013 at 11:56 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 11:46 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey! Thought for a minute you'd moved back which was making no sense to me because of all the people on all the MBTTUK threads, you would be the last I'd expect to see go back. Not that you shouldn't…. if you wanted to…..

At least now you absolutely positively know without any doubt - if you had any in the first place - that you don't want to be there, and you got to see some good friends and spend lots of money. Christmas will feel even better now
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hello BE family I'm back, ready to chat and catch up with you all! The birds are singing the sun is shining, it hot and Betty is miserable so ............guess where I am? Yep. Back in Queensland but wait - are you sitting comfortably? Then let me explain!

As you all know I have been working freelance, mainly frontline ambulance work and a bit of teaching. Passed all my courses, even managed to get a teaching qualification along the way. Was steadily building up my contacts but just waiting for that first big remote/offshore job to get me started. A few things came up but nothing came to fruition but its was fine. I was (still am) happy to be back, enjoying life in the UK and being near my family.

I decided to have a cheeky little holiday, a week in the Greek Islands and it was fab then I got the call. "We have a two week offshore job, very well paid and very last minute, the ships doctor's visa is delayed - can you go tonight?" Er no, says I, as I am just coming home from overseas. No problems they said, we will pick you up at the airport, take you home to pack and put you on the next plane to ...............Australia. Seriously. FFS!

So before I knew it I was boarding my ship, very jet lagged and very stressed thinking what the hell have I done?!!!!

Anyways the job was fine, the crew were a hoot, I had a fantastic time, I earnt some serious money and the company have treated me exceptionally well. They offered to let me stay in Oz for a few weeks to have a holiday and I accepted, what would be the harm? But then - all the problems began again............of course!

Firstly I got a flight for $89 with Jetstar to Qld for when we docked but we got stuck out at sea so had to change it - at a cost of $90. then we got back early so had to change it again - at a cost of $180. Despite my best efforts Jetstar wouldn't help me out even though I have stepped up twice in the past to render medical assistance to passengers.

I got to the Gold Coast and Jeez, its gotten more feral than possible. Met up with my Aussie friend who booked us into a ridiculously expensive apartment and hired a car - both which cost an arm and a leg. My flight got delayed by FOUR hours and she would not pick me up from the airport as she wanted to get her hair done. Sigh! $65 to get a taxi from the airport.

Had a horrible few days on the Gold Coast - I cannot believe how expensive it is back here - $27 for a half leg wax, $12 for a small pot of frozen yoghurt with fruit, $28 for two pints of Bulmers cider and that was in a bloody pub for Christ sakes! Then we had to stay at a small motel for the last night as we could not extend our accommodation. My friend had packed up everything in the fridge before we left on Fri but then I discovered to my horror on Sat night she'd left my medication in the fridge.

The next day she left (after spending 3 days whining and bitching about everything) so I rang the apartment manager to see if my meds had been handed in. He said no and he couldn't enter the apartment so I would have to wait - a week. I explained my situation and just asked if he could ring them and ask them to leave them at reception and I would pick them up. He then YELLED at me and said well if they are so important you shouldn't have forgotten them in the first place, I told him he was being unreasonable and then you know what he called me? Yep, that good old fallback - a whinging Pom. I lost it. Big time. I called him a bogan, I told him that I hoped he needed medication one day and he would know how it felt and then I told him well if you have rented that apartment out to kids (Schoolies had just started) then you better hope to God they don't take them as on your head be it if they get really sick. He started to panic then of course but I'd had enough, I put the phone down on him, walked out of the phone box and promptly tripped over a paving stone and split my foot open - EXACTLY the same as last time. Then I sat down on a bench and burst into tears!!!!!

I then pulled myself together, put on my stiff (British) upper lip and hobbled to the bus stop, got a bus and two trains to Brisbane where I am currently staying with my lovely friends who are, of course BRITISH! They loaned me their mobiles so I called my doctor here in Oz and he gave me a repeat script - $10 - and then I ordered my meds - $120. I should have them in 4 days time, what a relief!

So things have calmed down a bit but I am so NOT loving here! I thought I would feel weird and I did for a while but now I'm just 'meh'! Same same. Rude people, crap driving, sweating all the time, rubbish telly, awful shops, too expensive and every time you go into a shop you get that awful whiny "Hey, how ya going?" SO. OVER. IT.

Still if I'm going to be positive I suppose I've had an opportunity not many get. I got see my lovely friends again and to see that I really DID make the best decision coming back to the UK! Everyone keeps telling me how lucky I am and I suppose I am but not in the way they think. I still absolutely hate it here and I truly wish I had come home as soon as the job finished. I am here for two more weeks, meeting a good friend for lunch today (British!) and off to stay with my best friend (British!) on the Sunny Coast for a week before I fly home.

The people I am staying with are moving back to the UK in January so I am able to help face to face with heaps of info which is great as they have both been very good to me, especially when I turned up Sun, hot, sweaty, dishevelled, crying and bleeding ha ha ha!!!!

Well there you go folks that's my 6 month update in a nutshell. I'm missing Blighty already, still looking forward to Xmas at home and I can't wait to get back. Two weeks and I'm done, totally DONE, I don't EVER want to come back here. Period!
LOL Sorry you had a few hiccups but glad to hear your fine and well after your "expereinces"....seriously Betty I feel a book in the pipeline lol...enjoy your few weeks with your friends.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 11:22 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Crikey! Thought for a minute you'd moved back which was making no sense to me because of all the people on all the MBTTUK threads, you would be the last I'd expect to see go back. Not that you shouldn't…. if you wanted to…..

At least now you absolutely positively know without any doubt - if you had any in the first place - that you don't want to be there, and you got to see some good friends and spend lots of money. Christmas will feel even better now
Yes I'm on an island atm and I'm having a lovely time but I'm still counting down! 5 more sleeps til I can go home and I can't wait let me tell you. Someone said to me yesterday "Oh did you come back cos you needed some sunshine, well we ARE the lucky country!" I got a swift kick under the table from my English friend who lives here as he sensed a sarky retort coming lol!

I'm happy today cos I've not long to go and I just booked a lovely hotel in France for July, having a holiday with my sister in Biarritz after a few days in Paris. I don't ever want to come back here again there's nothing here for me, I'm done!!
Old Nov 27th 2013, 11:28 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by brits1
LOL Sorry you had a few hiccups but glad to hear your fine and well after your "expereinces"....seriously Betty I feel a book in the pipeline lol...enjoy your few weeks with your friends.
Yes it was an experience - hopefully never to be repeated! If I ever get sent back here to work I will do what the rest of the overseas crew did, two days in port after the trip then straight....................HOME!
Old Nov 27th 2013, 8:55 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MissBetty,

I too thought you had done a crazy thing and moved back to OZ! Thank goodness you didn't and you only did the second most crazy thing and went back there for work

Sounds like you've had a bit of an awful time though, Australia is definitely trying to tell you something.

Well, I guess enjoy as best you can and get back on that plane home, ready for Christmas
Old Nov 28th 2013, 9:45 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Hi MissBetty,

I too thought you had done a crazy thing and moved back to OZ! Thank goodness you didn't and you only did the second most crazy thing and went back there for work

Sounds like you've had a bit of an awful time though, Australia is definitely trying to tell you something.

Well, I guess enjoy as best you can and get back on that plane home, ready for Christmas

Only three more sleeps til I get on that plane thank God! Will be an easier flight this time though, only one stop over and it's easy for me to get home on the train once I'm back.

Yeah it's been a bit crap and the worst thing is that it's cost me so bloody much even though I've been careful. I can't help comparing things now, I bought some food yesterday and I picked up a bag of stir fry veggies, it was $4.90 and I kept thinking FFS, this is a pound in Tescos!!!!

Have been following your updates too and so thrilled to see how happy and settled you are too - wonderful feeling isn't it?

I'm going Xmas shopping with my sister as soon as I'm back, we are going to Covent Garden. Brekkie at Bills followed by a mooch around the shops - wrapped up well lol! - and lunch at Jamie's 15. Just thinking about it makes me happy!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 8:54 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Only three more sleeps til I get on that plane thank God! Will be an easier flight this time though, only one stop over and it's easy for me to get home on the train once I'm back.

Yeah it's been a bit crap and the worst thing is that it's cost me so bloody much even though I've been careful. I can't help comparing things now, I bought some food yesterday and I picked up a bag of stir fry veggies, it was $4.90 and I kept thinking FFS, this is a pound in Tescos!!!!

Have been following your updates too and so thrilled to see how happy and settled you are too - wonderful feeling isn't it?

I'm going Xmas shopping with my sister as soon as I'm back, we are going to Covent Garden. Brekkie at Bills followed by a mooch around the shops - wrapped up well lol! - and lunch at Jamie's 15. Just thinking about it makes me happy!
I have one thing to say to you, MissBetty - DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

Haha have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:15 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I have one thing to say to you, MissBetty - DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

Haha have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.
NEVER - I swear lol! You have a good one too mate, this will be my first Xmas in 6 years that I'm not all alone so I'm really looking forward to it for the first time in ages!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

NEVER - I swear lol! You have a good one too mate, this will be my first Xmas in 6 years that I'm not all alone so I'm really looking forward to it for the first time in ages!
Hope you have a lovely Christmas, our first Family Christmas back in the UK was just wonderful, dont forgot the Christmas Jumper lol, seriously though there are some lovely ones for the girls this year.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 1:25 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Good grief hon...boomerang is right. lol It seems like the minute you go back to the country you used to live in, you notice more how expensive things are, so once you get back and start buying your groceries again you'll feel rich and get more value for your money. LOL Hope you have a great Christmas hon....hopefully a white one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.