Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Old Nov 18th 2013, 10:10 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Hello BE family I'm back, ready to chat and catch up with you all! The birds are singing the sun is shining, it hot and Betty is miserable so ............guess where I am? Yep. Back in Queensland but wait - are you sitting comfortably? Then let me explain!

As you all know I have been working freelance, mainly frontline ambulance work and a bit of teaching. Passed all my courses, even managed to get a teaching qualification along the way. Was steadily building up my contacts but just waiting for that first big remote/offshore job to get me started. A few things came up but nothing came to fruition but its was fine. I was (still am) happy to be back, enjoying life in the UK and being near my family.

I decided to have a cheeky little holiday, a week in the Greek Islands and it was fab then I got the call. "We have a two week offshore job, very well paid and very last minute, the ships doctor's visa is delayed - can you go tonight?" Er no, says I, as I am just coming home from overseas. No problems they said, we will pick you up at the airport, take you home to pack and put you on the next plane to ...............Australia. Seriously. FFS!

So before I knew it I was boarding my ship, very jet lagged and very stressed thinking what the hell have I done?!!!!

Anyways the job was fine, the crew were a hoot, I had a fantastic time, I earnt some serious money and the company have treated me exceptionally well. They offered to let me stay in Oz for a few weeks to have a holiday and I accepted, what would be the harm? But then - all the problems began again............of course!

Firstly I got a flight for $89 with Jetstar to Qld for when we docked but we got stuck out at sea so had to change it - at a cost of $90. then we got back early so had to change it again - at a cost of $180. Despite my best efforts Jetstar wouldn't help me out even though I have stepped up twice in the past to render medical assistance to passengers.

I got to the Gold Coast and Jeez, its gotten more feral than possible. Met up with my Aussie friend who booked us into a ridiculously expensive apartment and hired a car - both which cost an arm and a leg. My flight got delayed by FOUR hours and she would not pick me up from the airport as she wanted to get her hair done. Sigh! $65 to get a taxi from the airport.

Had a horrible few days on the Gold Coast - I cannot believe how expensive it is back here - $27 for a half leg wax, $12 for a small pot of frozen yoghurt with fruit, $28 for two pints of Bulmers cider and that was in a bloody pub for Christ sakes! Then we had to stay at a small motel for the last night as we could not extend our accommodation. My friend had packed up everything in the fridge before we left on Fri but then I discovered to my horror on Sat night she'd left my medication in the fridge.

The next day she left (after spending 3 days whining and bitching about everything) so I rang the apartment manager to see if my meds had been handed in. He said no and he couldn't enter the apartment so I would have to wait - a week. I explained my situation and just asked if he could ring them and ask them to leave them at reception and I would pick them up. He then YELLED at me and said well if they are so important you shouldn't have forgotten them in the first place, I told him he was being unreasonable and then you know what he called me? Yep, that good old fallback - a whinging Pom. I lost it. Big time. I called him a bogan, I told him that I hoped he needed medication one day and he would know how it felt and then I told him well if you have rented that apartment out to kids (Schoolies had just started) then you better hope to God they don't take them as on your head be it if they get really sick. He started to panic then of course but I'd had enough, I put the phone down on him, walked out of the phone box and promptly tripped over a paving stone and split my foot open - EXACTLY the same as last time. Then I sat down on a bench and burst into tears!!!!!

I then pulled myself together, put on my stiff (British) upper lip and hobbled to the bus stop, got a bus and two trains to Brisbane where I am currently staying with my lovely friends who are, of course BRITISH! They loaned me their mobiles so I called my doctor here in Oz and he gave me a repeat script - $10 - and then I ordered my meds - $120. I should have them in 4 days time, what a relief!

So things have calmed down a bit but I am so NOT loving here! I thought I would feel weird and I did for a while but now I'm just 'meh'! Same same. Rude people, crap driving, sweating all the time, rubbish telly, awful shops, too expensive and every time you go into a shop you get that awful whiny "Hey, how ya going?" SO. OVER. IT.

Still if I'm going to be positive I suppose I've had an opportunity not many get. I got see my lovely friends again and to see that I really DID make the best decision coming back to the UK! Everyone keeps telling me how lucky I am and I suppose I am but not in the way they think. I still absolutely hate it here and I truly wish I had come home as soon as the job finished. I am here for two more weeks, meeting a good friend for lunch today (British!) and off to stay with my best friend (British!) on the Sunny Coast for a week before I fly home.

The people I am staying with are moving back to the UK in January so I am able to help face to face with heaps of info which is great as they have both been very good to me, especially when I turned up Sun, hot, sweaty, dishevelled, crying and bleeding ha ha ha!!!!

Well there you go folks that's my 6 month update in a nutshell. I'm missing Blighty already, still looking forward to Xmas at home and I can't wait to get back. Two weeks and I'm done, totally DONE, I don't EVER want to come back here. Period!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:12 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Fantastic reading. Im sorry about your bad luck but reading your post has made me laugh the whole way through.

It is really good that you have had the chance to return again to see just why you left in the first place. I suppose it will put your mind at rest once and for all about leaving Oz. Im pleased England has you back as you come across as truly british.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............

Crikey Miss Betty, I nearly choked on my tea when I saw the headline. I've followed your journey back to the UK and I loved reading all of it. It's great to hear from you again, keep going girl, you are a breath of fresh air. More please.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:15 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers me dears lol! Trust me it took a LOT of (English Breakfast) tea and a shed load of wine to get back to my happy place! The foot is looking good but my bank balance is not -

I can see the funny side now but I cannot wait to get home ha ha ha!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

OMG you have the most amazing adventures! Sorry about the bad bits of this surprise trip back but hopefully the last couple of weeks will go better and before you know it you will be back in the UK.

I always enjoy your posts
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
$27 for a half leg wax, $12 for a small pot of frozen yoghurt with fruit, $28 for two pints of Bulmers cider
Great entertainment! I loved your shopping list the best!

Seriously thank you for posting as I've been having doubts about returning recently and have started to get a bit down about it all. This cheered me up no end!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:14 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey ! You must be one hell of a great paramedic if they were prepared to fly you to Aus for 2 weeks work. Well done you.

Once again, you are counting the days 'till it's time to go back to Britain ! Hope you end up financially better off at the end of it and you haven't ended up using your wages to fund your mis-haps whilst there.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this and thought of your book, what will the title be?
Attached Thumbnails Betty Boomerangs Back AGAIN - but its not what you think............-06bettyuk.jpg  

Last edited by britsinnz; Nov 19th 2013 at 4:24 am.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

brightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to all

some people are just gluttens for punishment

so fate has finally slapped yer round the face and pointed out all the bad luck is in Oz.....and all the good luck is in UK

BB recommends that on your arrival back HOME you buy a lotto or something similar.....get that good luck rolling again

lets hope theres not a part two to this ......"miss betty's flight gets cancelled, spends crimbo in Oz"

BB
Old Nov 19th 2013, 7:39 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, don't scare me like that. When I saw the title I thought "no, she has lost the plot". What a relief to read the whole story. Great to hear from you again
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Well Miss Betty, I think this trip (not the one where you busted open your foot - ouch!) was the best thing to happen to you, n'est pas? You already knew you were doing the right thing in going home - but now you REALLY know it Hope you heal up soon and are able to relax and enjoy the rest of your vacation with your BRITISH friends
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, we all lead such boring lives compared to you.

Seriously, what a great opportunity to ensure you won't have any "What if?" moments. Definitely worth a stubbed toe.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw your headline!
Sorry about your foot again and the misery you had to go through but it does reinforce your home as the best place to be!

Pity it cost so much to find out. Still when you are back at Christmas you will probably have a good laugh! Hope you get more assignments off-shore as they sound like a winner financially and you are obviously very good! If I ever needed a paramedic I would wish it to be you! Not thinking of moving again to IOW anytime soon?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

ok I'm sorry, I've just picked myself up off the floor where I've been rolling around laughing

Flaming h*ll Miss B you don't do anything in half measures do you? Now, in addition to all else you've got all the makings of a great sequel! Was just wondering how you were doing the other day, thanks for the update
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief! What were you thinking, woman? Ah well, at least you've got great friends and you will no doubt help their transition back to civilization! Was just "reading" an audio book about your neck of the woods today as I ambled through Grantchester and thought I hadn't seen any of your posts for a while! Weird or what!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.