Been Back 7 Months . Update

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:02 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been Back 7 Months . Update

Lovely post nice to see things going well for you and that you're still enjoying being back in Bllighty....

I hope that I still feel as settled in another 5 months as you so obviously are.

I'm enjoying that fact that my wonderlust is well and truly satisfied!!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Its so funny to read all the negative stuff from Brits and then actually go to England yourself. It's nothing like they say. I'm starting to wonder if the Daily Mail gives away special glasses that distort reality.
Just today 23/Feb/2011. The Daily mail have a report with the heading: Binge Britain: Astonishing video of man so drunk he cannot walk up a gentle hill Ok it's a very funny video and will give you a laugh but this has been floating around youtube and facebook for ages.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ntle-hill.html

Why is this news? There has always been people who get drunk. I think the DM is given a lot more credibility than it actually deserves.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmralston
Just today 23/Feb/2011. The Daily mail have a report with the heading: Binge Britain: Astonishing video of man so drunk he cannot walk up a gentle hill Ok it's a very funny video and will give you a laugh but this has been floating around youtube and facebook for ages.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ntle-hill.html

Why is this news? There has always been people who get drunk. I think the DM is given a lot more credibility than it actually deserves.
Just last night I was with my son in law to be, we were having a barbie and went to get some beer and wine, and this was this haggard looking man literally staggering and tripping across the car park with a little toy dog on a lead, we were laughing our heads off as it looked so comical. Didn't make any newspapers here........
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well said Quoll.

Thanks for the update Shane, it's so nice to know that this half life does go back to A FULL LIFE!!

When I did my year in the UK I went out almost every weekend to different places, and loved it. Here in Australia I am just finding the humidity too much to deal with and I don't want to do anything much.

Anyway off to finish my packing/cleaning, only 6 sleeps for me.
are you back home Beedubya?
please let us know how it is over there
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by shane71
As this forum helped us keep sane while in oz , thought i would post our update on life back in England to help others who are going through the, should i come back decisions.
We arrived back in June 10 to enjoy a very nice summer , no air con required and have enjoyed the snow and frosty sunny mornings of winter too (though not today grey wet and cold) still this is the first time we have had rain all day since returning.
Life feels like we never left family friends socializing no different ,and Man Utd top of the league . Did get a bit fed up being asked why on earth we came back , but got to the point by saying been there done it got the tshirt , why dont you give it a go , works for some and not others . This normally gets a mumbled response of excuses as why they cant. We do have a great tendency to moan in the uk when life really aint that bad , the media has a lot do with this .
Certainly went through different phases of mind set , first month great , why didnt we do this earlier? then buying a house and looking for work very stressfull , followed by what have we done from september too early november , thankfully from then on started to realise we are actually rather happy with everything , family close , own my house , am working, not in my trade(start in march) but still getting by , friends , the pub, xmas day and good old british humour (my god i missed that). Things are rather tough for some over here , but a lot of people have chose to live beyond there means.
The new government are making hard choices but hopefully will come good soon (ex labour voter , never again).
Besides petrol we find almost everything else a hell of a lot cheaper here and more choice.
We do make the effort of making the most of the sunshine ,if we no its going to be sunny in the morning at weekends we are up early and out walking the dog . I used to dread the summer in Perth and hated being outdoors during the day at weekends being fried and attatcked by flies . If i want hot weather i now go on holiday and relax and enjoy it instead of working in it .I notice the seasons more here and look forward to the changing natural scenery around us .
So for us we have no regrets we had 5 and half years away and enjoyed it , but Englands home and home they say is were the heart is.
Great post, thanks for your honest update.

Not looking forward to the "why did you not like it? comments, or the "at least you tried" ones, totally sick of the "you'll be back" comments and I still have 9 months till I get home

Enjoy your new life back home & cant wait to post my first update from home when I get there
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to hear these updates from folks back home. Keep'em coming.
I too thought about it for years and have just finally made the decision. This site has really helped in that... not feeling that I am alone in this. My heart no longer resides here in Canada and I have made a vet appointment for my dog so I know it's for real now.
I have emailed one relative so far and he has just replied very positively. He lives in Wiltshire which will probably be my destination or somewhere else in the South West. Funny but it took alot of courage to tell one relative. I am working on it one at a time but soon word will get around.
The timing is different for all of us but my advice to others? Do it! I have been away for 40 years and now wonder wth I was thinking.
Can't wait.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by bandrui
I too thought about it for years and have just finally made the decision. This site has really helped in that... not feeling that I am alone in this. My heart no longer resides here in Canada and I have made a vet appointment for my dog so I know it's for real now.
I have emailed one relative so far and he has just replied very positively. He lives in Wiltshire which will probably be my destination or somewhere else in the South West. Funny but it took alot of courage to tell one relative. I am working on it one at a time but soon word will get around.
The timing is different for all of us but my advice to others? Do it! I have been away for 40 years and now wonder wth I was thinking.
Can't wait.
How long have you been in BC?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
How long have you been in BC?
26 years! Before that 8 years in Alberta, 1 year in Boston, 6 years in New Orleans.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Can't wait.
Good luck to you, having done it, please ask if you need advice.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

26 years! Before that 8 years in Alberta, 1 year in Boston, 6 years in New Orleans.
WOW ! good for you,now its time to go back home eh?
we have been in Alberta 10yrs,but are just waiting for the house to sell and we are off back too. Great experiance,but home now
good luck to you on your new adventure home
Old Mar 5th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
WOW ! good for you,now its time to go back home eh?
we have been in Alberta 10yrs,but are just waiting for the house to sell and we are off back too. Great experiance,but home now
good luck to you on your new adventure home
... and to you too. May the real estate gods/goddesses bless you and see you on your way.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen
Good luck to you, having done it, please ask if you need advice.
I will. Thanks. Is your story posted here somewhere? Would love to read it.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Menschlein is an unknown quantity at this point

We love to read of all those who returned back to their Homelands. We are still in contact with several of our British friends who did just that over the years and none appear to have regretted it. While returning for visits they do however remark on the lack of progress here. To them, nothing has changed. Everything looks as it did when they first come over in the 60's. Moving back to Britain also gave them back their permanently frozen British Pensions, easy access to the continent with endless variety. It's a hard decision to make, especially for those who would have to leave behind children and grandchildren. So keep the happy tales coming.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

KevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really nice

Great news, it is so nice to read about "real" people who made the brave decision to give up the "Dream" and return to their roots. I have heard so many comments of , I quote "but why would you want to go back? everybody I know regretted it and returned x months later".
Come on Estate Agent get this house sold!

Thanks Guys.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:12 am
Account Closed

Menschlein is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KevinS
Great news, it is so nice to read about "real" people who made the brave decision to give up the "Dream" and return to their roots. I have heard so many comments of , I quote "but why would you want to go back? everybody I know regretted it and returned x months later".
Come on Estate Agent get this house sold!

Thanks Guys.
To most immigrants their greatest loss is that of their Motherland/Fatherland. Having now lost (given up) the support of their familiar root system, a system rarely to be found again on foreign shores, they often linger in what can only be described as a mental/spiritual wilderness. While some acually do make it, many live only halve lives, physically they are in their newly adopted country but mentally, they remain eternally attached to what was left behind, namely their roots. The latter is a most painful condition capable of igniting prolonged depression leading to all sorts of endless physical dis-ease. Hence the need "to go back HOME". Home is were the Heart is and only when our heart/core is filled full (full filled) with all things right and good are we truly at HOME, at OHM and at ONE with ourselves.

The best of luck to all those seeking out their roots. May you find fertile ground into which to transplant them once again.

Last edited by Menschlein; Mar 14th 2011 at 1:16 am. Reason: forgot name Menschlein

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.