Been Back 7 Months . Update

Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

shane71 is just really niceshane71 is just really niceshane71 is just really niceshane71 is just really niceshane71 is just really niceshane71 is just really niceshane71 is just really niceshane71 is just really niceshane71 is just really niceshane71 is just really niceshane71 is just really nice
Default Been Back 7 Months . Update

As this forum helped us keep sane while in oz , thought i would post our update on life back in England to help others who are going through the, should i come back decisions.
We arrived back in June 10 to enjoy a very nice summer , no air con required and have enjoyed the snow and frosty sunny mornings of winter too (though not today grey wet and cold) still this is the first time we have had rain all day since returning.
Life feels like we never left family friends socializing no different ,and Man Utd top of the league . Did get a bit fed up being asked why on earth we came back , but got to the point by saying been there done it got the tshirt , why dont you give it a go , works for some and not others . This normally gets a mumbled response of excuses as why they cant. We do have a great tendency to moan in the uk when life really aint that bad , the media has a lot do with this .
Certainly went through different phases of mind set , first month great , why didnt we do this earlier? then buying a house and looking for work very stressfull , followed by what have we done from september too early november , thankfully from then on started to realise we are actually rather happy with everything , family close , own my house , am working, not in my trade(start in march) but still getting by , friends , the pub, xmas day and good old british humour (my god i missed that). Things are rather tough for some over here , but a lot of people have chose to live beyond there means.
The new government are making hard choices but hopefully will come good soon (ex labour voter , never again).
Besides petrol we find almost everything else a hell of a lot cheaper here and more choice.
We do make the effort of making the most of the sunshine ,if we no its going to be sunny in the morning at weekends we are up early and out walking the dog . I used to dread the summer in Perth and hated being outdoors during the day at weekends being fried and attatcked by flies . If i want hot weather i now go on holiday and relax and enjoy it instead of working in it .I notice the seasons more here and look forward to the changing natural scenery around us .
So for us we have no regrets we had 5 and half years away and enjoyed it , but Englands home and home they say is were the heart is.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future
Default Re: Been Back 7 Months . Update

Originally Posted by shane71
As this forum helped us keep sane while in oz , thought i would post our update on life back in England to help others who are going through the, should i come back decisions.
We arrived back in June 10 to enjoy a very nice summer , no air con required and have enjoyed the snow and frosty sunny mornings of winter too (though not today grey wet and cold) still this is the first time we have had rain all day since returning.
Life feels like we never left family friends socializing no different ,and Man Utd top of the league . Did get a bit fed up being asked why on earth we came back , but got to the point by saying been there done it got the tshirt , why dont you give it a go , works for some and not others . This normally gets a mumbled response of excuses as why they cant. We do have a great tendency to moan in the uk when life really aint that bad , the media has a lot do with this .
Certainly went through different phases of mind set , first month great , why didnt we do this earlier? then buying a house and looking for work very stressfull , followed by what have we done from september too early november , thankfully from then on started to realise we are actually rather happy with everything , family close , own my house , am working, not in my trade(start in march) but still getting by , friends , the pub, xmas day and good old british humour (my god i missed that). Things are rather tough for some over here , but a lot of people have chose to live beyond there means.
The new government are making hard choices but hopefully will come good soon (ex labour voter , never again).
Besides petrol we find almost everything else a hell of a lot cheaper here and more choice.
We do make the effort of making the most of the sunshine ,if we no its going to be sunny in the morning at weekends we are up early and out walking the dog . I used to dread the summer in Perth and hated being outdoors during the day at weekends being fried and attatcked by flies . If i want hot weather i now go on holiday and relax and enjoy it instead of working in it .I notice the seasons more here and look forward to the changing natural scenery around us .
So for us we have no regrets we had 5 and half years away and enjoyed it , but Englands home and home they say is were the heart is.
Glad to hear you are enjoying being back home.

We are going back after 20 months, to the same place we lived in. We had no problems with the UK just wanted a new experience while we could (daughter was 2 at the time we left and now nearly 4 and time to start school).

We already have a few saying why are you coming back, stay there but these are people who have never left their current home more less moved city. We are originally Londoners that moved out to N Devon 5+ years ago.

We are definitely forward to leaving on the 21st March!

It is good that someone has put a positive posting since arriving home!

Good luck with job in March.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 2:03 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear you don't have any regrets, home is where the heart is for sure.....I didn't feel like a 'whole person' while we were away and it wasn't for as long as your OE! Good luck & continued happiness B
Old Feb 19th 2011, 3:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds great Shane. Make sure to keep coming back and updating.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear things have worked out for you guys! Isnt it nice to get your life back instead of something that passes for a life? I hope it continues to be great for you!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:44 pm

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! I enjoyed hearing about your experience going back. Still thinking about it myself, but right now more thinking than doing. I look at all the good things in San Francisco, and then I vacillate, but when you mentioned the English humour....

On people's comments to you about the move: If I return I'm not going to tell certain people, including my mother! I'll just call her and say "oh btw I live in England now". (She lives in Ireland). I feel like they will only ask too many questions or put the media's spin on things. But that's the same the world over. For instance my mum says "everyone's leaving Ireland, the country's falling apart". Yet if you look up the numbers, migration is actually down. And she has a great standard of living.

Anyway, congrats on your return!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Good to hear things have worked out for you guys! Isnt it nice to get your life back instead of something that passes for a life? I hope it continues to be great for you!
Well said Quoll.

Thanks for the update Shane, it's so nice to know that this half life does go back to A FULL LIFE!!

When I did my year in the UK I went out almost every weekend to different places, and loved it. Here in Australia I am just finding the humidity too much to deal with and I don't want to do anything much.

Anyway off to finish my packing/cleaning, only 6 sleeps for me.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citizenmarie
Thank you! I enjoyed hearing about your experience going back. Still thinking about it myself, but right now more thinking than doing. I look at all the good things in San Francisco, and then I vacillate, but when you mentioned the English humour....

On people's comments to you about the move: If I return I'm not going to tell certain people, including my mother! I'll just call her and say "oh btw I live in England now". (She lives in Ireland). I feel like they will only ask too many questions or put the media's spin on things. But that's the same the world over. For instance my mum says "everyone's leaving Ireland, the country's falling apart". Yet if you look up the numbers, migration is actually down. And she has a great standard of living.

Anyway, congrats on your return!
You see lots of that on this part of the forum too, there are NO JOBS in the UK so I am moving to Australia or Canada or wherever, like they think the streets are paved with jobs and gold LOL!! Or they are leaving for the "better weather" - the novelty of that soon wears off for SOME.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You see lots of that on this part of the forum too, there are NO JOBS in the UK so I am moving to Australia or Canada or wherever, like they think the streets are paved with jobs and gold LOL!! Or they are leaving for the "better weather" - the novelty of that soon wears off for SOME.
I think its a case of peoples ideology and dreams of what places will be like, but until you have been there, you cant possibly comment.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Its so funny to read all the negative stuff from Brits and then actually go to England yourself. It's nothing like they say. I'm starting to wonder if the Daily Mail gives away special glasses that distort reality.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well said Quoll.

Thanks for the update Shane, it's so nice to know that this half life does go back to A FULL LIFE!!

When I did my year in the UK I went out almost every weekend to different places, and loved it. Here in Australia I am just finding the humidity too much to deal with and I don't want to do anything much.

Anyway off to finish my packing/cleaning, only 6 sleeps for me.
excited for ya
Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Thanks for the update, always good to get a "real" persons view of things instead of the media.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

All sounds similar to us even not missing the Perth summer...way too hot for us....but alas the Man Utd spoilt it all.....being a Man City fan myself..lol...
All the best
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Its so funny to read all the negative stuff from Brits and then actually go to England yourself. It's nothing like they say. I'm starting to wonder if the Daily Mail gives away special glasses that distort reality.
I think they give those glasses to a lot of BE posters too, mind you I may have worn them myself at one time.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Shane!! Glad you are happy with your decision!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.