Back, um, 13 months ish?

Old May 1st 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back, um, 13 months ish?

Hi all. It's been just over a year since a very tired little pooch and I trudged back into Blighty, and all in all it has been BRILLIANT.

Staying with family at first was good but also tough, I like my own space. We soon found a beautiful picture postcard rental but there were problems with the owners refusing to do essential repairs so I upped sticks to the present pad, a tiny ancient cottage in a cute village, and am now in heaven.
(The best rentals go straight away, be prepared to act fast. I had to put up a double deposit and two months rent for the first one, but mostly because the owners were arsey)

Took the summer off then managed to get a part time job in customer service / tourism - crap pay but I have to say probably the most fun job I've ever had, we're like a big family and I've made some great friends there.

The differences I've noticed:

People generally being a bit more open minded and aware of the wider world, more willing to express their feelings I think. This excludes many of the old folk I've met, who can be totally noxious - a couple round here have left me speechless at their comments to me, a total stranger, and I now cross the street to avoid them.

The air is noticeably more polluted, even in what is left of the countryside.

Radio 6 - so that's where the decent radio went! Only took a year to find it

....not much really, I suppose my overriding feeling is that you don't realise how special the UK is until you spend some time away.
Old May 1st 2014, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back, um, 13 months ish?

Lovely to hear how happy you are that you moved. Sounds like you had a bit of a rough time with the first rental, glad you found something better.

I'm intrigued by the air pollution, where are you in the UK and where are you comparing it to?

Thanks so much for posting an update its so great to read about the experiences of those who have moved back
Old May 1st 2014, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, I'm in the peak district, not close to any large towns, and not really surprised at dirtier air - there are many millions more people on the planet than when I left the UK, unfortunately. It is one of the most noticeable differences though
Old May 1st 2014, 10:14 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Great update sounds like things have really worked out well for you

I did chuckle at what you said about old people, I think they get to a point where they just don't care anymore lol! When my elderly patients used to be rude to me (when I worked on the ambulances) and wouldn't say please and thank you I'd always say "Just cos you're old doesn't give you the right to be rude you know!" My crew mates always used to look at me in horror but I always got an apology and better behaviour ha ha ha!!!

Cheers for the update, always nice to hear how other people have found coming home and what they have been up to but 13 months - where did the time go???!!!!
Old May 1st 2014, 10:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oBMDcLf6WA
Old May 8th 2014, 8:21 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update. Were on our way back home (UK). Its nice to hear good stories.
Old May 9th 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Great update! Thanks so much on the tip about rentals. That seems to be the general consensus. Congrats, glad everything is working out for you