Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Old Jul 8th 2015, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Originally Posted by fulwood
Yes I am surprised by house prices. Never thought I'd be able to afford one. Perth I will do likewise and rent. Wish I could leave now but have to be patient..
You will get there in the end fulwood. I have been on this site for over 2 years, watching people leave and feeling like our time would never come. And now that it is less than a year away, we are reevaluating where we really want to go All we know for sure is that we want to leave here
Old Jul 8th 2015, 10:18 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

MissBetty, I think about Ireland as a possible move as well. I love Dublin.. Watch this space!
Well I shall keep an eye on you then, pint of Guinness in Dublin one day maybe?!!! You never know!
Old Jul 8th 2015, 10:22 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Coo, nice one Miss B. I only envy your successes of course ! Sounds fantastic. We were in holiday in Ireland five or so years ago. Started in Dublin, drove around the country until we returned to Dublin handed the rental car back and saw Dublin on foot.

It was great.

I sometimes wonder if Eire or N.I. would be a viable option to live but, in truth, there will more job opportunities for both of us on mainland Britain.
You know I really really love Ireland, always been a pipe dream really but the urge to take the next step is getting quite strong.

The job market isn't great but I met quite a few people who work in the UK and go home to Ireland every weekend. I could get a job there as they're recruiting paramedics in ROI and NI or I could carry on doing locum work or ship work so maybe, just maybe it could work for me???
Old Jul 8th 2015, 10:37 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Perth
OK Miss Betty and fulwood, I'll join in! It's a toss-up right now between Ireland and the UK when we leave next year! We have been advised by friends to go to Galway. Is that where you are seeing those house prices, Miss Betty? Quite tempting, although we will undoubtedly rent until we know where we want to settle for good.

~Monique
Hi M

Ok this is kinda where I'm at so far.........

I have wanted to move to Ireland for years, my Dad was from Galway and I found quite a few very affordable houses last year when I went over. However they were in quite isolated areas except Galway City, Salthill and the coast but, of course, prices were more than double in those places.

My thoughts turned to Dublin but, again, very expensive so I started looking at the three counties around Dub, Meath, Wicklow and Kildare. The places I've seen for the best prices are in Kildare, good rail links and only about a 50 min drive on the M7 to Dublin.

So to work, well with the ships or my locum work, I could just pop to the UK for work once a month for a week or so. If I sold my flat here I could buy a decent property outright in Kildare so lower outgoings. The ROI and NI ambulance services are recruiting, full/part time or casual or 'bank' staff. Money isn't great BUT I would then be able to meet people and make friends as well otherwise I would end up being Penny No Pals yet again!!!

I'm totally agreeing with renting at first though renting prices in Ireland are horrendous to say the least, I'd probably look at a very small studio flat in Dublin.

One thing I learnt in Oz is that you have to rent and really get the 'feel' of different areas. There were places I loved at first but went off very quickly once I'd spent some time there.

I feel Ireland would offer me a better quality of life, no mortgage, a house instead of a flat, easy access to the UK for family, work is flexible for me and I like the people - it seems to be a much slower, less crowded more pleasant way of life.

However I would have to live/work/rent there to make an informed decision but I'm doing my research carefully. There's no rush, I don't want to return to Oz but I would consider a move to Ireland. Some people on here will have a far better idea of the pros and cons so I'm taking my time - slowly, slowly

Last edited by MissBetty; Jul 8th 2015 at 10:39 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

You will get there in the end fulwood. I have been on this site for over 2 years, watching people leave and feeling like our time would never come. And now that it is less than a year away, we are reevaluating where we really want to go All we know for sure is that we want to leave here
I have been on here since May 2012 and never thought the time would come for us to make plans to go back. Suddenly it all happened and I submitted my spouse visa yesterday! We do get there with a lot of patience!
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

MissBetty - we definitely should meet up for a pint! Can you please post the link where you are looking at properties. Or if you prefer send me pm with the link? Keep us apprised please of your rather exciting life (compared to mine anyway)..
Old Jul 9th 2015, 5:43 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty - we definitely should meet up for a pint! Can you please post the link where you are looking at properties. Or if you prefer send me pm with the link? Keep us apprised please of your rather exciting life (compared to mine anyway)..
Ok you're on and I'll PM you those links!

Hang on in there mate, life can be so rough at times and, believe me, I get my days too. Yesterday was horrible. My Mum is really depressed atm and she goes between crying her eyes out to snapping at me and biting my head off, I can't seem to say or do anything right and it really gets me down.

I'm owed about £900 in back wages which I really need to pay my bills this month and I tried everything yesterday to get them to pay up only to be given the run around. I've had to join another two companies for temp work as I need to have extra sources of income right now (due to not being paid) so spent the whole day filling out forms and sending off my qualifications/immunisations/references yet again - pain in the butt!

I won't go on anymore but rest assured some days life is not exciting at all and I could quite happily run away lol!!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Jul 9th 2015 at 5:57 am.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 1:51 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

On the move again MissBetty?

As you say, if you can get work there then at least you are set financially and can make new friends etc. Good luck!
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes didn't mean to exaggerate your life in UK. Sure there are difficult days. Thanks for the links as well..
Old Jul 9th 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Miss B. Sounds like you are getting the run around from your employers. Maybe working in Ireland would be more secure? Even if it does pay less, maybe you will actually get paid

So sorry about your mum. Must be difficult for you to know exactly what to do or say that will make her feel better. It is a sad time for her and she must go through it to get to the other side. I'm sure, even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes, she really appreciates your support.

We are actively looking all over Ireland. Love everything you have said about it, especially the part about the slower pace. We still have one foot in the UK also though, initially Chesterfield, but eventually Wales. Got the pros and cons list out. Just need to go over it with the OH when I have all the details to present to him. One good thing I like about Ireland vs UK is that they are still recruiting nurses from overseas, whereas UK is not. DD will want to come over to Europe herself in a couple of years to work as a nurse practitioner. So it would be best if we could be there to offer her a home.

In the meantime, I am sorting through all household items. DD is here for a week and picking out what she wants to take. Today it took me 4 hours just go to through photographs
Old Jul 10th 2015, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

I must be the only one on the planet that loves grey skies! After 30 years in Florida, the last thing I want to see is the sun rising every morning
Have to agree with you Perth I like you love the cooler weather I hate the hot summers here in Adelaide when it's very hot day I stay in with aircon and blinds down. My daughter is the opposite loves the heat !!
Old Jul 11th 2015, 7:16 am
Practical Paramedic

Red face Re: Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Originally Posted by Lorry1
On the move again MissBetty?

As you say, if you can get work there then at least you are set financially and can make new friends etc. Good luck!
Yeah feel I need a change - just a small one lol! I know I was lucky to have a home to come back to but it's that old debate isn't it when you move back to the UK. Move back to your old town or make a fresh start???? Still weighing up the pros and cons on that one ha ha!
Old Jul 11th 2015, 7:17 am
Practical Paramedic

Oh yes didn't mean to exaggerate your life in UK. Sure there are difficult days. Thanks for the links as well..
I try to stay positive but some days are rough but then some are great lol! Got your message ta, will reply shortly!
Old Jul 11th 2015, 2:46 pm
Practical Paramedic

Thanks Miss B. Sounds like you are getting the run around from your employers. Maybe working in Ireland would be more secure? Even if it does pay less, maybe you will actually get paid

So sorry about your mum. Must be difficult for you to know exactly what to do or say that will make her feel better. It is a sad time for her and she must go through it to get to the other side. I'm sure, even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes, she really appreciates your support.

We are actively looking all over Ireland. Love everything you have said about it, especially the part about the slower pace. We still have one foot in the UK also though, initially Chesterfield, but eventually Wales. Got the pros and cons list out. Just need to go over it with the OH when I have all the details to present to him. One good thing I like about Ireland vs UK is that they are still recruiting nurses from overseas, whereas UK is not. DD will want to come over to Europe herself in a couple of years to work as a nurse practitioner. So it would be best if we could be there to offer her a home.

In the meantime, I am sorting through all household items. DD is here for a week and picking out what she wants to take. Today it took me 4 hours just go to through photographs
Thank you M, yeah some days she's ok others not, I don't understand how she feels as I have never been through it but I do my best to help. Last few days have been ok so I'm feeling a bit better!

Yes the more I look at Ireland the more I like it tbh. The lower cost of housing and the friendly people are a definite plus for me. I could easily rent a small place and speak to the HSE about work, they're taking on full/part time and temp staff atm. I'm going to write to the head office and ask if I can go and spend a shift with a crew to see what it's like. I know NI have real problems atm, shifts not filled, no breaks, strikes etc but there's not to much info for ROI so will keep digging!
Old Jul 11th 2015, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Thank you M, yeah some days she's ok others not, I don't understand how she feels as I have never been through it but I do my best to help. Last few days have been ok so I'm feeling a bit better!

Yes the more I look at Ireland the more I like it tbh. The lower cost of housing and the friendly people are a definite plus for me. I could easily rent a small place and speak to the HSE about work, they're taking on full/part time and temp staff atm. I'm going to write to the head office and ask if I can go and spend a shift with a crew to see what it's like. I know NI have real problems atm, shifts not filled, no breaks, strikes etc but there's not to much info for ROI so will keep digging!
Considering the roof over your head could be less expensive, but you would be close enough to go to the UK anytime you wanted to, it seems like a win-win situation to me. Good luck with your research. Keep us up to date

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.