Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Old May 23rd 2015, 6:16 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Hi MissBetty, Great update. 2 years! I can't believe it...but I guess it must be true as it's 2 years for us in July!

Sounds like you've had some crappy times but good on you for telling them to stick it, exactly what I would do!

Glad you have made some new friends. It's pretty miserable to be chasing people and then to be let down all the time. It's a shame they did this to you. Move forward and make new memories

You are so lucky working on the cruise ships. I sell cruise holidays so maybe some of my clients may end up on your ship

You are so right, it does take a while to settle back down but absolutely no regrets here!

Take care xxx
Hello, great to hear from you! Yes it's gone so fast hasn't it? Just weird!

Yeah I must admit I do not put up with crap at work anymore, there's a national shortage of paramedics in the UK these days and we have so many options now so if I'm treated unfairly I have no problem walking away. Life is too short to put up with bullies and pettiness so I refuse to engage in either

I do like working on the ships and this will definitely be new to me as I've only worked on rusty old tubs before. I get officer rank so I'll have my own cabin which will be great, I've had to share before and it's a pain if your roomie is untidy/noisy/unpleasant or snores lol!

Life is just so much better here for me, I went out to a great restaurant last night with friends then got up early this morning and went training, the girls in the group are so friendly, we slug our way around the muddy field cursing the instructor under our breaths and discussing all the nice things we are going to buy once we are thinner lol! Movie night tonight then dinner at my sister's with the family tomorrow, its Bank Holiday weekend so there will be loads of bands playing in the local pubs on Monday, it's always a great day out - right on (literally!) my door step!

Wow that is great that you sell cruises, do you ever get a free holiday?!! If you do let me know and we may meet on the high seas, just nod and give me the password so I know it's you - the password is 'phish food' ha ha ha!

Glad things are going well for you too and no regrets either! xx

Last edited by MissBetty; May 23rd 2015 at 6:31 pm.
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=feelbritish;11652838]
Originally Posted by perthhomeschool

Wow! We were planning together! I like that idea of yours to staying with friends to blend back! Hoping we can also be moving back next year but still have this house as a noose around our necks to be sold yet!
I do hope you can move back next year too! We decided to make a decision, set a date and just get on with it. I was tired of blithering about. I am so much more relaxed now that I know we have a commitment. Will be happy to chuck in my job - today was one of those days when all my co-workers were huddled in a corner talking about shopping, and all I could think of was I have nothing in common with these people. By the way, check your facebook messages - sent you one recently
Old May 26th 2015, 8:06 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hello, great to hear from you! Yes it's gone so fast hasn't it? Just weird!

Yeah I must admit I do not put up with crap at work anymore, there's a national shortage of paramedics in the UK these days and we have so many options now so if I'm treated unfairly I have no problem walking away. Life is too short to put up with bullies and pettiness so I refuse to engage in either

I do like working on the ships and this will definitely be new to me as I've only worked on rusty old tubs before. I get officer rank so I'll have my own cabin which will be great, I've had to share before and it's a pain if your roomie is untidy/noisy/unpleasant or snores lol!

Life is just so much better here for me, I went out to a great restaurant last night with friends then got up early this morning and went training, the girls in the group are so friendly, we slug our way around the muddy field cursing the instructor under our breaths and discussing all the nice things we are going to buy once we are thinner lol! Movie night tonight then dinner at my sister's with the family tomorrow, its Bank Holiday weekend so there will be loads of bands playing in the local pubs on Monday, it's always a great day out - right on (literally!) my door step!

Wow that is great that you sell cruises, do you ever get a free holiday?!! If you do let me know and we may meet on the high seas, just nod and give me the password so I know it's you - the password is 'phish food' ha ha ha!

Glad things are going well for you too and no regrets either! xx
Hi MissBetty,

Yes, I am lucky enough to occasionally receive a free cruise. I also do pay for them too. Unfortunately though, we will not be lucky enough to take one this year as all our money is going into the deposit for our new house.
I will let you know when I will be on one though. Wouldn't it be fun to meet up on a ship!?
Old May 26th 2015, 8:30 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Miss Betty, nice update x
Old May 28th 2015, 7:46 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Hey Miss Betty, nice update x
Thanks mate, it's two years today exactly, your turn soon x
Old May 28th 2015, 7:50 am
Practical Paramedic

Hi MissBetty,

Yes, I am lucky enough to occasionally receive a free cruise. I also do pay for them too. Unfortunately though, we will not be lucky enough to take one this year as all our money is going into the deposit for our new house.
I will let you know when I will be on one though. Wouldn't it be fun to meet up on a ship!?
That would be awesome plus we are allowed alcohol as long as we are sensible so a glass of wine by the pool would be great hey?!!! Let me know for sure!

Ooh a new house too, sounds great, good luck with the move x
Old May 28th 2015, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Heavens above - 2 years already?! The time really does fly when you are having fun! Hope you have a good time on the cruise ship - my next door neighbour's grandson is one a cruise line (IT wallah I think) and he seems to have a ball (and quite long shore leave)
Old May 28th 2015, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Wow MBetty have been following your news since you came back on in this thread. 2 years! That brings up some negatives for me, on the plus side now at 60 months from my original 84

Please keep posting your story is inspiring and I feel sure adventures await in Alaska!

Last edited by vikingsail; May 28th 2015 at 4:10 pm.
Old May 28th 2015, 9:08 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate, it's two years today exactly, your turn soon x
Thanks.
Old May 28th 2015, 9:17 pm
Practical Paramedic

Yes can't wait to get back to work now especially after the day I've had!

Was offered a week teaching next week, fun job, good money so took it so my mate (who owns company) could take a holiday. Then I got offered two weeks offshore, double the money, starting last Weds, couldn't let my mate down so had to refuse it. Well he's gone away now and the client e-mailed me today, 4 days before I start, and said oh sorry for the inconvenience but we have cancelled that course now - wtf?!!! They've cost me £3000 in lost wages from the other job I turned down and I am SO angry!!!!!

So I e-mailed the other company and they said that they might have something else in June so fingers crossed. I hate being self employed, it's either feast or famine, people don't pay you when they should, every time I try to take a holiday someone rings me in a panic begging me to help, no sick pay, no holiday pay - SO DAMN OVER IT!!!

Anyways that my little rant ha ha ha! Yes I'll keep posting to let you all know how it goes, I'm looking forward to a regular wage, a bit of travel and I can start putting money by again for my camper van - onwards and upwards!!!!!
Old May 28th 2015, 9:29 pm

Yes can't wait to get back to work now especially after the day I've had!

Was offered a week teaching next week, fun job, good money so took it so my mate (who owns company) could take a holiday. Then I got offered two weeks offshore, double the money, starting last Weds, couldn't let my mate down so had to refuse it. Well he's gone away now and the client e-mailed me today, 4 days before I start, and said oh sorry for the inconvenience but we have cancelled that course now - wtf?!!! They've cost me £3000 in lost wages from the other job I turned down and I am SO angry!!!!!

So I e-mailed the other company and they said that they might have something else in June so fingers crossed. I hate being self employed, it's either feast or famine, people don't pay you when they should, every time I try to take a holiday someone rings me in a panic begging me to help, no sick pay, no holiday pay - SO DAMN OVER IT!!!

Anyways that my little rant ha ha ha! Yes I'll keep posting to let you all know how it goes, I'm looking forward to a regular wage, a bit of travel and I can start putting money by again for my camper van - onwards and upwards!!!!!
Aargh ! Sounds like frustration central !

When do you start your new contract on the boat ?
Old May 29th 2015, 8:50 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Aargh ! Sounds like frustration central !

When do you start your new contract on the boat ?
August! Can't come soon enough lol! x
Old May 30th 2015, 12:49 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

That would be awesome plus we are allowed alcohol as long as we are sensible so a glass of wine by the pool would be great hey?!!! Let me know for sure!

Ooh a new house too, sounds great, good luck with the move x
Yes, a glass of wine would be great!

Thanks. we are hoping to be moved in by August if all goes to plan. Can't wait to own our own house again.
Old May 30th 2015, 7:57 pm
Practical Paramedic

Yes, a glass of wine would be great!

Thanks. we are hoping to be moved in by August if all goes to plan. Can't wait to own our own house again.
I rented the whole time I was in Oz, there was a point where I sold my UK place and then started looking at houses over there. The sale fell through, I took it as a sign and held onto it - SO glad I did as I love my flat and I'm delighted to be back here in my lovely home!

Work has gone flat again but I'm going to be paid for next week anyways as the client broke the T & C's of their contract by not giving 2 weeks notice. First time ever in my life I've been given something for nothing - right result lol!

Well it's Sat night, glass of wine and movie night me thinks
Old May 30th 2015, 8:00 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by quoll
Heavens above - 2 years already?! The time really does fly when you are having fun! Hope you have a good time on the cruise ship - my next door neighbour's grandson is one a cruise line (IT wallah I think) and he seems to have a ball (and quite long shore leave)
I know - madness eh?! Thanks Quoll, I do hear good things about the cruise ships, I'm looking forward to the travel and having some more adventures. I do 4 months away and 2 months back, will be lovely to have a regular wage and be able to plan things!

Hope all good with you :starsmile

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.