Back three years next month

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back three years next month

From Brisbane to Ivybridge, Devon after 17 years in Oz. Am in Brisbane on business and holiday at the moment, I am so chuffed I left three years ago as I don't feel anything much for this place. Don't get me wrong it's nice but simply not for me. The other thing is (ignoring the crap exchange rate) it has got so ridiculously expensive! I reckon prices for food/drink etc have gone up around 20-40% since we left. I actually can't wait to get home to beautiful Devon, (where I was born) which will always be my real home
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back three years next month

Originally Posted by sdunx
From Brisbane to Ivybridge, Devon after 17 years in Oz. Am in Brisbane on business and holiday at the moment, I am so chuffed I left three years ago as I don't feel anything much for this place. Don't get me wrong it's nice but simply not for me. The other thing is (ignoring the crap exchange rate) it has got so ridiculously expensive! I reckon prices for food/drink etc have gone up around 20-40% since we left. I actually can't wait to get home to beautiful Devon, (where I was born) which will always be my real home
Visiting the UK from Brisbane and I can back up the price thing - every time I come back I marvel at how little prices have risen here compared with how much they go up each year in Brisbane
Really glad its worked out well for you coming home
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear that you have found your niche! Heavens above, is it 3 years already? I can remember you leaving!!! Enjoy your holiday but it sounds like you are missing some marvelous English weather - Devon must be fabulous at this time of year (have a friend from Dittisham who, in her declining years, would like to return there but ....!)
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

So pleased that you have found your special place,there is something about knowing you belong that nothing else can ever replace,can't explain it you just know......
Also agree on prices they have gone through the roof in Oz.food,electric,water.
I love Devon and Cornwall visited ther each year when I return for holidays.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in South Africa for 2 years in the 80's also. Having travelled a lot I'm totally content being in home in Devon, took 25 years of travelling around to achieve it though! Thanks all for your kind comments
Old May 9th 2011, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Peakaboo is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I are thinking of returning and retiring to the UK in the next year or so after living in South Africa for over 40 years with an 18-month return to the Isle of Man in the middle of it all! Our only daughter is now married, with a family, and lives in London so we have decided to return. The reason for this message in this thread is that we don't really know where to live when we return and I hear so much about Devon and Cornwall being "God's own country" but is it not a lot more expensive to live there than other areas? Don't think that we should live too close to family and hopefully, they would want to come to holiday with us! Any suggestions?
Old May 9th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peakaboo
My wife and I are thinking of returning and retiring to the UK in the next year or so after living in South Africa for over 40 years with an 18-month return to the Isle of Man in the middle of it all! Our only daughter is now married, with a family, and lives in London so we have decided to return. The reason for this message in this thread is that we don't really know where to live when we return and I hear so much about Devon and Cornwall being "God's own country" but is it not a lot more expensive to live there than other areas? Don't think that we should live too close to family and hopefully, they would want to come to holiday with us! Any suggestions?
One thing that can make things expensive for you when you live in holiday areas is the number of visitors you get who for one reason or another forget to contribute. Sometimes, to be fair, it goes the other way though.

The Moving Back to the UK over 50s has a lot of chat about Devon in particular and the areas around Totnes, Torquay and Teignmouth. Not much about Cornwall as most regard that as too far from London. See also MBTTUK Location Location Location

If you live in Truro or that post code, for example, you can get delivery from Sainbury's or Tesco for instance but not Waitrose, so your prices should be typical nationwide. In Devon, there are many quality farm shops, particularly in South Devon.

Devon is THE most popular retirement destination for the English.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ma...t-saga-housing

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 9th 2011 at 5:30 pm.