Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back ten months. No happier. (Sorry !)

Back ten months. No happier. (Sorry !)

Old Jan 17th 2015, 9:58 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nyla

Originally Posted by Wombat7
Won't take long to do a recce, the place is tiny. Lovely place to visit but it would take quite an adjustment for me to live there

As I was reading your post...Noel Coward singing 'Mad dogs & Englishmen go out in the midday sun' came to mind

On Malta (~size of the Isle of Wight) , likely, its one of the last Britishness colonies with a hot midday sun

Last edited by not2old; Jan 17th 2015 at 10:27 am.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 2:35 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nyla

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
I do have a companion that I confide in but it is difficult to get her opinion because her English is extremely limited: mostly 'sit', 'stay', heel' and 'dinner time'.

I share some thoughts with family and friends but I think it's difficult for people that have not lived abroad to understand our perspective, as expats or returnees.
Fair enough...at least you have kept your sense of humour.
seems obvious, look at your wishes, your priorities, your needs, your compromises,
list them all out, play around with permitations, throw them on the fire, then go for it.
BECAUSE thats what you want..
Old Jan 17th 2015, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back ten months. No happier. (Sorry !)

One expat Anna (I think) moved to Malta if I am correct. She has not been on this forum (unfortunately) for well over 1-2 years. It would be lovely to hear from her and her views on Malta..
Old Jan 18th 2015, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
One expat Anna (I think) moved to Malta if I am correct. She has not been on this forum (unfortunately) for well over 1-2 years. It would be lovely to hear from her and her views on Malta..
I remember Anna! I would love to know how she is doing and if she is still living in Malta.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I remember Anna! I would love to know how she is doing and if she is still living in Malta.
Me too!

Malta sounds very attractive.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Hi guys! A little bird told me my name was mentioned. Now there's a true grapevine. I have been gone over 4years!! Still in Malta, since May 2010. Used to walk around with a huge grin on my face, being back in Europe after 26 years in US. Before that England, for those who don't know me. The grin is still there if I allow it to be! All about attitude and perspective.

Can't write much now, busy and broke my wrist so in pain! Just to say.....from my experience, doesn't matter where you live, it's all about being with friends. Have good ones, and you can be happy anywhere. Also, very important....don't compare where you are with anywhere else. It will never match up. Focus on the positive of what you have and ignore the negative. Enjoy your situation, after all, you chose it for a reason. So you are in the right place at the right time. Let the mud settle, if you don't know what to do, do nothing! Just enjoy who you are and where you are and be grateful for what you have right now.

More on Malta another day.....love to all! Ciao ciao!
Old Jan 19th 2015, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Hi guys! A little bird told me my name was mentioned. Now there's a true grapevine. I have been gone over 4years!! Still in Malta, since May 2010. Used to walk around with a huge grin on my face, being back in Europe after 26 years in US. Before that England, for those who don't know me. The grin is still there if I allow it to be! All about attitude and perspective.

Can't write much now, busy and broke my wrist so in pain! Just to say.....from my experience, doesn't matter where you live, it's all about being with friends. Have good ones, and you can be happy anywhere. Also, very important....don't compare where you are with anywhere else. It will never match up. Focus on the positive of what you have and ignore the negative. Enjoy your situation, after all, you chose it for a reason. So you are in the right place at the right time. Let the mud settle, if you don't know what to do, do nothing! Just enjoy who you are and where you are and be grateful for what you have right now.

Anna! How wonderful to hear from you! SO great to have your news (do drop in on the "over 40…" thread to say hi, many people there still remember you and mention you, and they may not go on the general forum).

Hope your wrist feels better soon….but there is so much wisdom in what you say here. Enjoy who you are and where you are and be grateful…..not always easy to put into practice, but wise words.

As you yourself say, you had a huge grin on being back in Europe--in some places we just can't help being happier. But that attitude of gratitude is still an important one to cultivate…

hope to hear more when your wrist feels better.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1

Great to hear from you again!! I hope it isn't too long before your wrist is better. There's a lot of catching up to do. As Between Two Worlds mentioned, the people on the MBTHUK Over 40s would love to hear from you!!
Old Feb 14th 2015, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

BlueSubaru is an unknown quantity at this point

CalgaryPete how are you finding things now? Incidentally, my British husband and I met in Alberta! We lived in a ranching town though. Nothing like snow in June ...

He's originally from the Lake District as well, so we'd probably head back to the NorthWest if we ever managed to make it back over.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueSubaru
CalgaryPete how are you finding things now?
Yesterday, looking out over Ullswater, with sunlight on the lakes and hills, I felt I should stay in England.

Today, back in Lancashire, it seems old. I am not sure it could ever be home.

My plan is to stay in Lancashire for the spring, then I might try renting somewhere else to see if that moves things forwards.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

UK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to behold

Hi CalgaryPete

I noticed you post dated Jan 2 2015.
How are you getting on now ? Are you managing to reintegrate back into the English way of life , are you working working ? and have you found time to enjoy your dog - free time etc . I'd give yourself a minimum of three years before making up your mind whether to stay or return to Calgary .Have some fun in England - you can always come back
I too will be relocating back to England by the fall of 2015, after 18 years working and living here on Vancouver Island BC. I love both countries - However - England remains my home .

Last edited by UK Chrissie; Feb 17th 2015 at 1:47 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 9:04 pm
ZET
Just Joined

ZET is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not easy to reintergrate again, getting used to the tubes and buses. Landlords asking you whynyou were away from a longtime. It becomes when comes to work.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK Chrissie
Hi CalgaryPete

I noticed you post dated Jan 2 2015.
How are you getting on now ? Are you managing to reintegrate back into the English way of life , are you working working ? and have you found time to enjoy your dog - free time etc . I'd give yourself a minimum of three years before making up your mind whether to stay or return to Calgary .
I have been feeling more settled in England since the new year. It feels like spring already, with birds tweeting and so much greenery. I have had a job since May last year. Nyla takes me out every day and to the hills most weekends.

I think three years would be too long for me. I had several years dithering before moving back to the UK, so I am lookimg forward to settling the issue. I will probably stay in England. The remaining uncertainty is just where to settle within the UK. Maybe it doesn't matter that much, as I can visit family, friends and hills in a weekend anyway.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

UK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to beholdUK Chrissie is a splendid one to behold

I have been feeling more settled in England since the new year. It feels like spring already, with birds tweeting and so much greenery. I have had a job since May last year. Nyla takes me out every day and to the hills most weekends.

I think three years would be too long for me. I had several years dithering before moving back to the UK, so I am lookimg forward to settling the issue. I will probably stay in England. The remaining uncertainty is just where to settle within the UK. Maybe it doesn't matter that much, as I can visit family, friends and hills in a weekend anyway.
Hi CalagyPete:

I'm looking forward to my return this year after 18 years of living on Vancouver Island BC. I know it will be different than when I left in 1996. I am determined to give myself three years to settle - because .... I lived in NZ in 1973, I wanted to go home everyday until around the 3 years mark. I realized how much I adapted and life was really good, I had brought and owned land etc - my decision to return was purely family related. However - back I went. The same when I arrived here I regretted the move and decided I must give it three years too. I did and now after 18 years I'm going home. I have no family here at all - I have decided to enjoy the rest of my life around them before I leave this world ...... Enjoy you walks through the English countryside - I'm looking forward to this activity and the agriculture shows with hounds , cattle etc and I can take my dog with me too All the best to you ...
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

i'm so glad to hear you're feeling more settled and I hear you on Spring ... there are bulbs coming up in my garden and buds on the trees. And even though the wind is whistling outside tonight and we had hail this afternoon, it still feels like Spring is round the corner. Whereas in my old home of New York, everyone is buried in snow. No thanks!

Plus, while the wind was whipping up here on the moors this afternoon, we were sitting in a cosy pub in front of a log fire having Sunday lunch. Does it get any better than that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.