Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back ten months. No happier. (Sorry !)

Back ten months. No happier. (Sorry !)

Old Jan 13th 2015, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back ten months. No happier. (Sorry !)

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It's a bit like a relationship. At first it's nothing but fun and happiness, but over time you have to start living real life together and it changes. You find yourself outside Asda in the rain having an argument about how much money you spent, and you think 'what happened to all that romance?!'
But I use Asda home delivery! I sit on the sofa with Nyla and we choose all our food, with no rain at all. I have completely missed the point haven't I?

Leaving Canada did feel slightly like breaking up. Sometimes I still look at pictures of Canada. Am I being unfaithful to Britain? I don't like letting go of things so even after ten months back in the UK I feel reluctant to say Canada is in the past.

I will book an appointment with Relate, and see if they can help me and Britain figure things out.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nyla

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Calgary Pete, I think when you say "I do feel more connected to friends and family when we visit the south-west," that is a really important statement.

Being in the same country, UK, as your family and friends doesn't make much difference if they are not close enough to see regularly…and if there is a different, specific part of the UK that really means "home" to you, whether because of family or landscape or both, then it makes more sense to try and be there, no?

Agreed, it is hard to find rentals that accept dogs…and are you saying it's harder in the s-w? Maybe so…I know it is hard here in my Glos town...but I think in the end one can find them.
I chose the north west because it's close enough to the lake district for day walks and to Scotland for weekends. We could also afford to buy a place in the north west whereas that might not be possible in the south west. So we could be stuck renting if we move south.

I think I might settle more quickly if I was closer to family and friends in the south west. But I might miss having the lake district hills nearby. So I wonder if I just need to give the north west more time.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:03 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back ten months. No happier. (Sorry !)

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
B
I will book an appointment with Relate, and see if they can help me and Britain figure things out.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I chose the north west because it's close enough to the lake district for day walks and to Scotland for weekends. We could also afford to buy a place in the north west whereas that might not be possible in the south west. So we could be stuck renting if we move south.

I think I might settle more quickly if I was closer to family and friends in the south west. But I might miss having the lake district hills nearby. So I wonder if I just need to give the north west more time.
Hm I see, yes this is a dilemma.

Of course in the s-w you have the Mendips, Quantocks, Dartmoor, Exmoor, etc.

BUT I know very well that one's love for a particular place, a particular landscape, can run very deep…if it is the Lake District, which is certainly unique, that you need to be near, then I can see how that competes with the pull of friends and family in the s-w. Then the lower house prices in north tipped the balance for your decision.

here's a mental exercise to try (I hope this doesn't sound patronising--this kind of thing helps me work out what I really want, sometimes):-

Imagine money isn't an issue--imagine you can buy a place in the s-w just as easily as you could in the north.
Now is the decision clearer?
Old Jan 14th 2015, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Hm I see, yes this is a dilemma.

Of course in the s-w you have the Mendips, Quantocks, Dartmoor, Exmoor, etc.

BUT I know very well that one's love for a particular place, a particular landscape, can run very deep…if it is the Lake District, which is certainly unique, that you need to be near, then I can see how that competes with the pull of friends and family in the s-w. Then the lower house prices in north tipped the balance for your decision.

here's a mental exercise to try (I hope this doesn't sound patronising--this kind of thing helps me work out what I really want, sometimes):-

Imagine money isn't an issue--imagine you can buy a place in the s-w just as easily as you could in the north.
Well said, I try and use the same method and it is always good to be reminded of it. JK Rowling springs to mind as someone who likely can live anywhere in the world but chooses Scotland.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 11:05 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

when one has lived in Canada for a few years you sort of get used to traveling 5KM for one or two grocery items, even the movies, Doctors or a Hockey game..

unless its positioning, work or financial....

If the NW is where you'd like to be, then surely the travel to relatives further down the country is only 3-4 hours away?

Relative...

Calgary to Edmonton ~300KM

Manchester to Mendip ~ 300KM

Good luck with your decision Pete
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

No. Sorry! I'm just dithering because I want 3 different places. (The Lake District, the south west and Calgary. And possibly Portugal too, as I have been missing sunshine). As long as I put off making a decision, I don't have to let go of any of them.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

No. Sorry! I'm just dithering because I want 3 different places. (The Lake District, the south west and Calgary. And possibly Portugal too, as I have been missing sunshine). As long as I put off making a decision, I don't have to let go of any of them.

forget that lot, move to Malta
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by not2old
If the NW is where you'd like to be, then surely the travel to relatives further down the country is only 3-4 hours away?
My family and friends are at least 6 hours drive away, sometimes more with traffic. I think that being able to visit people and return home the same day might make me feel more connected. But you are right, I can now visit within for a long weekend, so I see them far more often than I did when I was in Canada.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

forget that lot, move to Malta
Do they have decent cheese?
Old Jan 16th 2015, 9:51 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

My family and friends are at least 6 hours drive away, sometimes more with traffic. I think that being able to visit people and return home the same day might make me feel more connected. But you are right, I can now visit within for a long weekend, so I see them far more often than I did when I was in Canada.
You have often used the ' I ' and on some occasions the 'we'.
Do you have a partner who shared your experiences, do you confide in them, and listen
to those concerns he/she may have, or what their opinions might be.
Some of your posts seem very singular.I dont know your situation, but your worries
will only be compounded, if you are only bouncing off this site, and keeping these
thoughts to yourself, opening up all to your closest around you, will give you a totally
different perspective, because its only those who can help to balance these 'to n fro'
pulling thoughts and confusions.
If I am on the wrong track, then I do apologise...
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fuchs01
Do you have a partner who shared your experiences, do you confide in them, and listen to those concerns he/she may have, or what their opinions might be.
I do have a companion that I confide in but it is difficult to get her opinion because her English is extremely limited: mostly 'sit', 'stay', heel' and 'dinner time'.

I share some thoughts with family and friends but I think it's difficult for people that have not lived abroad to understand our perspective, as expats or returnees.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 9:20 am
Dichotomus tinker

Do they have decent cheese?
You betcha & everything more that you'd get in Calgary, other than snow of course

Make a recce. After being an immigrant & returning back to blighty, Malta may be just the fix you need to settle down at.

Your companion will fit in well there
Old Jan 17th 2015, 9:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I do have a companion that I confide in but it is difficult to get her opinion because her English is extremely limited: mostly 'sit', 'stay', heel' and 'dinner time'.

I share some thoughts with family and friends but I think it's difficult for people that have not lived abroad to understand our perspective, as expats or returnees.
+1 The advantage of being the only decision-maker is you get no arguments, and you get to make all the decisions.

The flip side is it would be nice to get a second or third opinion. I find friends and colleagues unable to get their heads around the perspective of an expat (except one colleague and his wife who moved to the same US institution as me at the same time). And after you come back its a similar thing. Most of the people I know and work with here have hardly moved more than 30 miles their whole lives..
Old Jan 17th 2015, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

You betcha & everything more that you'd get in Calgary, other than snow of course

Make a recce. After being an immigrant & returning back to blighty, Malta may be just the fix you need to settle down at.

Your companion will fit in well there
Won't take long to do a recce, the place is tiny. Lovely place to visit but it would take quite an adjustment for me to live there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.