Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back home... what's not to like?

Back home... what's not to like?

Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Former Laowai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Back home... what's not to like?

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Really??? as i have said here before apart from some nice beaches Cornwall is a bit of a dump..i can think of numerous places in the UK that far outstrip it...let alone the world!
Wow!
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that
I've driven a camper van right around the coast of both New Zealand islands and, as lovely as it is, it's not a patch on Devon and Cornwall in my opinion.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:40 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Really??? as i have said here before apart from some nice beaches Cornwall is a bit of a dump..i can think of numerous places in the UK that far outstrip it...let alone the world!
I must admit I have never heard of Cornwall referred to as 'bit of a dump' before Everywhere we have been in Cornwall has been beautiful.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:21 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris955
I must admit I have never heard of Cornwall referred to as 'bit of a dump' before Everywhere we have been in Cornwall has been beautiful.

Cornwall indeed is a beautiful place, stunningly beautiful in certain areas.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Here goes ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_rascal

But be warned - your clothes have a tendency to shrink when you eat a few of these. No idea why!

ETA: Having read that description, it's a bit rubbish actually - a fat rascal is like a scone crossed with a rock bun and put on steroids.
Oh lord, couple those with the delicious cheese scones hubby's been bringing from the bakery in Scarborough I think my goose is truly cooked!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Cornwall indeed is a beautiful place, stunningly beautiful in certain areas.
Except for the waterfalls running through your house.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:29 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
get away from the coast inland to places like Redruth or Bodmin which are pretty run down and depressing and then also you have the open cast china clay pits and the slag heaps that go with it..in winter it can pretty bleak and windswept place..plus i have no time for the Cornish either who have a serious chip on their shoulders!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

get away from the coast inland to places like Redruth or Bodmin which are pretty run down and depressing and then also you have the open cast china clay pits and the slag heaps that go with it..in winter it can pretty bleak and windswept place..plus i have no time for the Cornish either who have a serious chip on their shoulders!
Away from the coast could be a cesspit and Cornwall would still rank as one of the most beautiful places on earth for the coastline alone - it's incredible!!!

And I have to add that I have had nothing but good experiences chatting with Cornish folk. I'll report back if I feel differently after living there for a few weeks or months
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in Cornwall for 5 years I found the comment suprising I think any county in the country has its rough bits, The countryside where Midsummer is filmed is georgous but I would not live in Luton if you paid me. the beautiful Yorkshire moors shown on lots of programs and enjoyed by many but would I live in Bradford for example no! I am Brummie and there are some nice parts of Brum but again there are some unsavory parts of the Midlands. You need to take the rough with the smooth

However Cornwall is more than the coast I lived between Liskeard and Launceston I was between 2 beautiful moors I challenge anyone to say that is not beautiful, with lots of lovely villages. The local towns were small but you know what that was lovely individual shops very few big chains and large take away chains it was great. If I wanted anything else I went to Plymouth or Truro. Living in a small village when the Emits decesnded we could still get round the lanes without too much problem. I think Cornish people are like every other area they are proud of their heritage and do not takechange lightly
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by janeyk
Cornwall is more than the coast
I totally agree BTW, and in fact was making a similar point to you, just that I didn't do it very well!

Cornwall should probably have its own designated thread, if it hasn't already. And Devon too. Oh, and Somerset and Dorset because the whole of the West Country is absolutely beautiful.

--
Here's something that I don't like about Britain. Road rage. Drivers are very polite and friendly until another driver does something "wrong" like forget to give a wave of thanks, then suddenly turn into angry monsters.

Really notice it after so long in South East Asia where road rage simply doesn't exist.

And it isn't just driving either, it seems to be in most situations where someone doesn't say thank you or acknowledge something nice or courteous someone else does, like hold a door open.

Don't get me wrong, I love the politeness of Britain but I just find some of the reactions to less than polite behaviour a bit OTT.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:10 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Laowai
--
Here's something that I don't like about Britain. Road rage. Drivers are very polite and friendly until another driver does something "wrong" like forget to give a wave of thanks, then suddenly turn into angry monsters.
I haven't noticed this at all ... but then again, I must admit to feeling a bit peeved when (rarely) people don't wave thanks for me stopping to let them past. But then I just tell myself they're probably from "darn sarf" and I forgive them (just kidding! ).

I just think Brits are amazingly polite drivers given the overcrowding. Manhattan? Different ball of wax!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I haven't noticed this at all ... but then again, I must admit to feeling a bit peeved when (rarely) people don't wave thanks for me stopping to let them past. But then I just tell myself they're probably from "darn sarf" and I forgive them (just kidding! ).

I just think Brits are amazingly polite drivers given the overcrowding. Manhattan? Different ball of wax!
Having driven in the US for over 20 years, in comparison UK drivers are in general much more accommodating and competent. I do think, though, that in congested traffic and bad, narrow city roads the driving can be pretty erratic. I haven't seen anything like road rage here (sorry, yes, one isolated, disturbing road rage incident about a year ago, long story). But since my job moved to the city, I have seen some very dodgy driving. No more daydreaming on my drive to work, it's survival mode!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
We use a Melitta system, jug and cone. It's as easy as a machine, IMO, but I'm not sure you can buy one over here. It's easy to make a small amount in it, and I saw fairly cheap cone paper filters in Sainsbury's the other day. Before, I'd only seen the Melitta ones which are horribly expensive, so we've been stocking up from visits to North America or Spain, where they're also cheap.

When we travel, we take the cone with us along with some filters. Then we can make coffee in a hotel, using the kettle and teapot.

Bev
Is it something like this you are describing? Or a plug-in jobbie?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we spent a week driving around Cornwall during August and found the people absolutely lovely and so friendly.
It was very quiet tourist wise so I guess they were doing all they could to keep the few tourists happy, but it was very natural, helpful and friendly.

The occasional town was a bit 'meh' but on the whole, Cornwall was just as I remembered as a child. Beautiful, stunning, windswept, stormy, sunny, peaceful and all in all, a lovely place. (Shame there are so few jobs available though)
Old Oct 12th 2012, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Back home... what's not to like?

Driving The UK standard is far superior to here in Nz do not get me started! One thing I have noticed is those in the bigger SUVs can not park they always park at an angle. Unfortunaltey here this tends to be the midle aged asian women who also can not see above the sterring whell of the car.

Cars here are far older and something that would hvave been condemed 5 years ago in the UK is still on the road insurance is not compulsory, every trip you take you are literily taking your life in your hands, drivers shave on the motorway read, are on the phone or texting (even though this is against the law but that does not matter to them ) but the best is full headlights and fog lights in brilliant sunshine and manners well there is none
so looking forwar dto drving back in the UK will even be happy following a tractor or 2
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree totally, Im not sure I am allowed to mention the country I left as it might be interpreted as being argumentative but the standard of driving here is fantastic, I can drive at speed on a motorway and feel safe as opposed to not knowing what the driver next to me is going to do. I think everyone needs to drive in a country with seriously bad drivers to make them appreciate good drivers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.