Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back home... what's not to like?

Back home... what's not to like?

Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home... what's not to like?

Originally Posted by chris955
As cider lovers we have considered this, we have cider farms all around us and part of our house used to be a cider house in the 1700's. We have been giving apples away to the neighbours. The thing is we have about a dozen big apple trees which take up loads of space. I do hate the thought of cutting down old trees though.
Regret you too far for me to come collect. We are cider fans too.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Societal behaviour is a negative for me.
Compared to where I lived in USA and to my recollect from here before I became expat, I have found a greater proportion of people here to be more rude and intrusive.
Specifically;
I have had people cuss at me for not being quick enough to let them pass on the pavement.
Only this week while I was standing still at bus stop a youth (with a Slavic accent) pushed his front bike wheel between my knees and told me to get out the way because he had every right to ride on the pavement. When I told him where to put his bike other people came by to say thanks for standing up to him, they suffered this too.
In general; I find the teeming masses to be oppressive to my nature.

No, not everyone in UK is rude, there are plenty of nice people but the rude unsocial element is pervasive in some places.

Along with many others on BE, my favourite parts of UK are those open moorlands / mountains / countryside where the 63+ million other people on this island are not in evidence.
Permit me to quote myself, because I just thought of something I should add.

While the disagreeable element of society takes me to being really cranky, I think I am at elevated level of uncomfortable / pressured / stressed by the general hubbub and mass of humanity when in town centres and grocery stores and roads. I do not get road rage but approach something pedestrian akin to it when surrounded by milling hoards.
This has generally not been my experience of the previous 20 years and I am finding I do not easily tolerate it.
Give me open vistas without anyone else but the missus in sight anytime.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 9:00 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

We do compost - didn't mean to suggest that we don't. We have a little bin in the kitchen and a large one outside provided by the council. But not everything can be composted - cat food for example - and I hate having to clean little bits of food out of the sink when a waste disposal unit is a cheap, easy and hygienic solution.

I don't mean to make it sound important - it's a tiny beef when set against all the good things about living here - but every night when I wipe up those disgusting bits of food, I do remember my old waste disposal with a certain fondness.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 9:03 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Permit me to quote myself, because I just thought of something I should add.

While the disagreeable element of society takes me to being really cranky, I think I am at elevated level of uncomfortable / pressured / stressed by the general hubbub and mass of humanity when in town centres and grocery stores and roads. I do not get road rage but approach something pedestrian akin to it when surrounded by milling hoards.
This has generally not been my experience of the previous 20 years and I am finding I do not easily tolerate it.
Give me open vistas without anyone else but the missus in sight anytime.
This makes sense. Every time I read your posts I wonder if we live in the same country (I find people so polite and life so relaxing here). But a) I used to live in New York and b) I now live in the English countryside. It sounds as though we had reverse journeys - I now have more peace than I ever had, while you have less. That has to be tough.

As we've looked for a house to buy, we've come to realize that what we want more than anything is to be away from other people with only sheep for company.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in London (til a few days ago) so this may be London specific:

Litter- absolutely everywhere.
Crowds particularly on public transport.
Public transport generally
Motorways- we did a lot of motorway driving and 9 times out of 10, were stuck in a stationary traffic jam for 1+ hours (best was 9 hours). M25 is the worst though.

but the good parts are : National Trust, English Heritage, variety of countryside, and if you have money, there is always plenty to do.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 7:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Regret you too far for me to come collect. We are cider fans too.
Thats a shame as we have literally 100's, no 1000's of them going to waste.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 7:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
This makes sense. Every time I read your posts I wonder if we live in the same country (I find people so polite and life so relaxing here). But a) I used to live in New York and b) I now live in the English countryside. It sounds as though we had reverse journeys - I now have more peace than I ever had, while you have less. That has to be tough.

As we've looked for a house to buy, we've come to realize that what we want more than anything is to be away from other people with only sheep for company.
I am the same, I read some descriptions of things here and like you wonder if they are talking about the same country. We have found people generally and especially where we are to be so friendly and happy and very helpful. We have yet to encounter the unsociable elements to be honest. We see practically no litter anywhere and like you life is very relaxed. Just like Australia I guess it depends very much on location location location
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:31 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I am the same, I read some descriptions of things here and like you wonder if they are talking about the same country. We have found people generally and especially where we are to be so friendly and happy and very helpful. We have yet to encounter the unsociable elements to be honest. We see practically no litter anywhere and like you life is very relaxed. Just like Australia I guess it depends very much on location location location
It does seem that those in the English countryside have a better time of it than UK City dwellers... (unless they love the big smoke of course!)
Old Oct 6th 2012, 9:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by brissybee
It does seem that those in the English countryside have a better time of it than UK City dwellers... (unless they love the big smoke of course!)
I know lots of people that live in cities and most seem happy enough with their lives but yes it cant compare to rural life here, same as anywhere I guess.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 5:45 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Well I have had a lovely day to day, the sun was out, slightly chilly, went for a long walk on the moors above Rishworth, near Ripponden the other side of Halifax, took the dogs with us, they loved it, the breath taking scenery overlooking the dam and hillsides were amazing, I feel energised.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 6:21 pm
Banned

Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:21 am
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by brissybee
It does seem true, but then again most of my friends live in built-up towns and cities and can't understand why I want to be out in the country. They seem happy with their lives and what I consider to be noise and dirt, they consider to be 'buzz.' But even in cities (Leeds and York to be precise) I've never encountered the rude behaviour JJ's OH is experiencing all the time. I've come across what I'd call 'rough and ready' types but they're usually well-meaning and friendly enough.

I'm surprised because I always imagined Norfolk to be nicer than here in terms of manners but now I'm rethinking!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Angliandreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. I hope you don't mind a newbe commenting here on your post regarding about what to expect when moving back to the UK ?

I've been away for 5 plus years. I almost forgot why I/we moved away from Blighty. Those rose tinted glasses and dreams of moving back cloud my judgement.

I would say that London living is hard if you want space and freedom of travel within the M25. Even most motorways and A roads at the weekend seem more like parking areas with just a hint of hope that you will move soon.

I used to try and get away to Norfolk and Suffolk ( so does most of London) at the weekend and dream of buying a house there away from the rat race. But after a resent visit there the A12 and A14 are getting more busy.
But once off and on the A140 life for me becomes 'life' and the dreams start to flow.

Plus points about England are;
Ease of communication.
Driving on the left side.
Little towns.
Fish and chip shops.
Good humour of the people.
Great TV.
The ferry back across the Channel and Dover .

Sorry to go on and thanks.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:34 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Another lovely crisp day today, I think I will head to the moors today with the dogs, I might even have a round of golf at my golf club Ryburn in Norland just above Sowerby Bridge near Halifax, it's a little 9 hole golf course, if anyone lives in the area, I could sign them in if they fancy a round of golf.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I live in a small valley that is a black hole for internet, mobile phone, and television (though the latter has improved somewhat since the digital switch, I still only get a handfull of channels on Freeview - thank goodness for Freesat!).

If you climb to the top of the mountain opposite my house, the reception is much better for everything, though!
In general we have found internet speed to be good, except in one house we rented, even though it was in a city and in a built up area, we couldn't get more than 1mb, which meant that we had to lose our BT vision. There was a cable set up available, but as we were only renting we didn't want to take up the contract, and we would have had to pay a set up charge. We are now in a much smaller town, and get 16mb, and will soon be getting BT infinity which should give us 34mb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.