Back home/new home

Old Nov 14th 2015, 8:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back home/new home

Hi everyone, we made it

Although I've been here less than 2 weeks, I think enough has happened to give an initial update. Besides, our new sofas have arrived and I'm finally comfortable enough to sit for a while and post. Note to anyone over 30 - don't think for one minute that bean bag chairs are an acceptable temporay alterative to a sofa....ooh me aching back.

In order - Scouse flew over first and although he got a fair bit done, the largest job didn't get done, and remains undone! We had the bathroom ripped out and remodeled, was supposed to be finished by the time Scouse got here but various delays have meant that it's still not done. We have the old loo connected, and a new bath plumbed in, but no shower or basin, bare board floors and plasterboard walls. Still, it's quite nice to have baths again, haven't had one since I was a kid. Not so crazy about brushing my teeth in the kitchen sink, but needs must!

Of the three of us (Scouse, Murphy (dog) and I, Scouse is the one taking the longest to settle in. Surprising, considering he's the Brit. I think it's a combination of not yet having the house as we want it, and the fact that New Brighton is almost as new to him as to me, as he's firmly a Liverpool lad. He's getting more settled and relaxed every day though, and his sense of humour has survived unscathed.

Murphy - my poor doggy. I think he'll have nightmares forever about those flights. He didn't pull up nearly as well as lots of other pets I've read about on BE. Scouse said it was like he was in shock when he was delivered to the house, and he didn't even recognize Scouse for a few minutes. That is so not Murphy, who chucks wizzies of delight even if we've only been down the shop for five minutes.

He's much, much better now. Instead of standing at the bottom of the stairs crying if we're upstairs, he now bounds up and down them like a mountain goat. He's explored every inch of the house and has chosen his favourite spots (and radiators).

Me - I'm loving being here. The cold weather suits me far better than the heat, I'm sleeping better, looking better and feeling better. Still busy getting bits and pieces for the house and ordering more furniture.

British Telecom let us down badly, we had an engineer appointment booked for Wednesday for connection of landline, internet and TV. No one turned up and it took 5 phone calls, and being passed to every department you could think of, before someone finally admitted that the order hadn't been sent to the right place. Was so mad by that time that I told them to cancel everything and refund my money. Have gone with EE, who promised to get the phone etc connected by the end of the week. Half the cost of BT as well. In the meantime I've bought a wireless device, couldn't go any longer with no means of communication!

Sofas - I ordered these before I left Australia, as I was warned that lots of people over here order new furniture for Christmas so I'd better get in early. Took about 10 weeks to make and deliver them, delivery happened yesterday. Only problem was they fitted through the front doors - but were too big for the turn into the front room. What a palaver that turned into!

In the end we went with the solution that seems to be the go over here - take the front window out! Enormous splay bay window, double glazed and heavy as hell. We were lucky enough to ring a glazier who said he lived nearby, and could come on his way home from work. Bless him, he was a God-send. He, Scouse and brother took the window out, got the sofas in and replaced the window in an hour, despite the wind and rain which turned into hail! He only wanted to charge us 30 quid for the job, and seemed stunned when we insisted on giving him 60. Still so cheap for all he did, we couldn't have done without him.

Food - have been used to shopping in Liverpool so no huge surprises here, good quality food at very fair prices. Love the fresh veggies, many varieties of potatoes etc. Most food items cheaper than Australia, except a few things such as steak and legs of lamb. Poundland fabulous for cheap, brand name household cleaners, pet food, toiletries etc.

Transport - we were going to try to manage without a car, but I don't think that thought will last. We can shop at Morrisons on foot (we've bought our first ever shopping trolley - green plaid if you please ), but there's a steep hill to contend with and it's a bit miserable if it's really windy and cold. We think we'll need a car for shopping and for getting the mutt to the vet, and maybe for the doctor's too. Great rail and bus links to Liverpool One and other parts of the Wirral so we could do without a car, but I'm pretty sure we're going to get to the stage very soon when we don't want to do without one.

Neighbours in the semi next door are really nice - don't see much of the bloke as he works but have had quite a few chats with the lady of the house, who teaches art classes at home. In fact she was responsible for another first for me - a chat over the back fence. Except it's a wall rather than a fence, so God knows what she climbed on to poke her head over and say 'Good morning!', scaring the shite out of me. She's lovely though and keeps saying that we must ask her if we need anything. People in the street when we're walking Murphy always say hello, and the local shopkeepers are lovely. Scouse goes to get the paper every morning, taking Murphy, and the lady in the shop greets him by name (the dog that is!) and always gives him a treat, and gives another one to Scouse to give him later. How lovely is that? Also very new to be able to actually take a dog into a shop, or onto a bus or train. I love that about the UK.

That's probably enough for a 2 week update I'm enjoying settling into our new home in our new (to me) country. I'm glad we came.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home/new home

Gosh - that's quite an update for two weeks!! So glad you managed to get the sofa in - even if it did mean taking the window out!! I've never heard of that before! Hope your bathroom gets finished soon. Thanks for posting. Glad you're settling in okay - all the best to you, hubby and dog!
Old Nov 15th 2015, 9:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I'm happy about your being there or sad that we never did get to meet up before you left Perth.

Ok, I'm happy for you It's great that you're both happy there and that Murphy is settling in.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

MY experiences with BT were also "difficult"
Bangalore Telecom was better when it was a state-run utility !
Old Nov 15th 2015, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear from you Spouse and glad it's pretty much so far so good. I didn't realise that you'd decided to take Murphy with you; he sounds like a proper little trooper, bless him. Sounds like he'll be a big help to Scouse getting settled - routines can be a big help. Enjoy your new home and please keep us posted.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

So happy you have made it! Lovely update. Spurs me on as I slowly sort through and pack up our stuff. Keep posting!
Old Nov 16th 2015, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Great update, despite the ups and downs, do you realize just how organised that all sounds?, you have done amazingly well.

Sorry Murphy didnt like flying. Who does really. He will forget, unless he sees an airport poor thing.

Cold, its hot and getting hotter here, you are so lucky to be back there for the Christmas season.

Reckon a car is a necessity in the UK, so so many places to travel to in such a short distance, such beautiful drives too. Go on get one, another excuse to shop.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 4:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Lovely to hear from you and pleased to read that you are all gradually settling in best you can.

Yup! Furniture in through the windows is quite norm.

Pics of Murphy please.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 2:08 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse - glad you are settling in nicely. I am glad everything worked out well with the furniture. We ordered our couches before moving back and unfortunately, they are really uncomfortable. I has asked for firm cushions and they are too soft for my liking. We will need to replace them eventually as they don't provide much support at all. Lesson learned. Best of luck with the bathroom reno.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

SOS, good to read the news & updates that you are all settling in.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Gosh - that's quite an update for two weeks!! So glad you managed to get the sofa in - even if it did mean taking the window out!! I've never heard of that before! Hope your bathroom gets finished soon. Thanks for posting. Glad you're settling in okay - all the best to you, hubby and dog!
Thanks Derrygal - it was a fair bit for two weeks wasn't it
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I don't know if I'm happy about your being there or sad that we never did get to meet up before you left Perth.

Ok, I'm happy for you It's great that you're both happy there and that Murphy is settling in.
Thanks luv - was very sorry we didn't get around to meeting, but I'll be back for visits...... My sisters have been telling me how hot it's been over the past few days, must say that I don't miss that!
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:52 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by scot47
MY experiences with BT were also "difficult"
Bangalore Telecom was better when it was a state-run utility !
Seems to be the way with a lot of privatized assets Scot - once efficient services go straight down the tube. I wouldn't have minded the mistake so much, if I hadn't had to spend hours on the phone trying to sort out what was happening, and getting shoved from pillar to post!
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:54 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by curleytops
Great to hear from you Spouse and glad it's pretty much so far so good. I didn't realise that you'd decided to take Murphy with you; he sounds like a proper little trooper, bless him. Sounds like he'll be a big help to Scouse getting settled - routines can be a big help. Enjoy your new home and please keep us posted.
Thanks Curleytops for your lovely message. We ummed and ahhed about taking Murphy, but every time we thought about rehoming him we both got upset which told us what we needed to do!
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:56 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Perth
So happy you have made it! Lovely update. Spurs me on as I slowly sort through and pack up our stuff. Keep posting!
Ta Perth - I can tell you that the time you're spending packing and sorting is so worth it. Once you apply for the visa it's full-on so the more you can get done prior, the better. Weather is great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.