Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back about a month from Auckland NZ

Back about a month from Auckland NZ

Old Aug 30th 2014, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Back about a month from Auckland NZ

Ok so here a month.....we've done a lot of visiting family in Scotland and the North East and now back in Kent with friends. We've bought a small car to run around in, insurance was easy 300 pounds with Aviva. Food is absolutely so much cheaper here and say nothing to the choice factor. Petrol is a shocker but the driving is much saner. When we came off the M25 and started our way through Kent it was quite serene sunny warm day, hay baileys out in the fields soft rolling Kent countryside is hard to beat, all we needed was Elgar on the radio and I would have been reduced to tears!
That aside I do have this odd feeling of displacement that rushes in now and again. We really have no idea where to live, part of us says we should be near family ....it's that a major part of why we are back? But the difference in the climate from Scotia/ NE to south east is vast.
I've applied for a job and have been shortlisted with an interview next week in Maidstone. That might have a bearing on our decision ...see how the interview goes.
I am a bit overwhelmed by this displacement feeling, I keep reminding myself it's just a month and it will get better. Maybe it just being technically homeless that does it....anyway I'll keep posting
Old Aug 30th 2014, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back about a month from Auckland NZ

Good luck with job! Yes please keep posting everything everyone writes whether good or bad helps a lot of folks who ultimately want to move home.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Getting settled in a home and a routine will definitely help with that displacement feeling.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 9:16 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kiwibrit,

Welcome home!

We stayed with friends for almost 6 weeks when we returned last year, and although I loved being back, it was very very stressful having 2 families in 1 house. Things got a lot easier when we moved in to our own (rented) home.

I hope everything works out for you!
Old Aug 31st 2014, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

That's reassuring thank you.....I know it's sounds daft but, I keep getting these momentary pangs of OMG lets just jump on the plane and go back to what we know and where to get it. It only been a month!
This is very odd as I've been back to the UK on Holiday lots for 6 weeks at a stretch and loved it....I know hols a re a different story.
We need to get our finger out and find our own place ...I'm sure that's the key
Old Aug 31st 2014, 9:49 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I've experienced a bit of the displacement thing too and despite having spent a lot of time in the UK over the eight years we were in Canada. For me it is mostly not knowing where to buy things and finding things are different to what I remember. For example I spent 8 years in Canada missing B&Q because I never knew where to find anything in Rona, but now I get lost in B&Q and wish I could just pop into Rona. It gets frustrating. I think I know how to live in my own country, but I seem to have forgotten, which is like forgetting to ride a bicycle.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:53 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you just need somewhere to put down roots, to call home. The sooner you get something sorted the sooner you'll relax!
Old Sep 4th 2014, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Displacement is normal! Sometimes it is quite surreal I find. Good luck with the job, having something concrete takes a lot of the pressure off