Back :)

Old May 17th 2014, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back :)

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sorry, I should have clarified:

Non-orange tan.
Old May 20th 2014, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I didn't realize it was related to the state pension. I know about that but forgot that "NI" was the same thing. Talk about being away too long!!!

Very best of luck with the job! You have only been back five minutes and already you have job prospects. That's wonderful!
Thanks Windsong. Since I wrote that post I now have another interview - so 3 in total to look forward to now. Two are with the same organisation - just in different locations (although all 3 are fairly local to where I'm living). I'm very apprehensive about all 3 because my last interview in Canada was a disaster but I think I lost my nerve in that one because everytime I answered a question the interview panel looked at the clock ... and a friend told me later that the panel were probably going through the motions and had someone in mind already. All I know was that it was a very unpleasant experience which I wish I had saved myself from.

I still feel profoundly unsettled though ... and sort of sad too. Sad that Canada didn't work out. Missing some people I was close to. Missing the familiar (even though it was hard when I was there). And it's so weird being a stranger in one's own country. There are things I'm glad about since I got back (things that I really missed like the English countryside) but overall it's very bittersweet at the moment and sometimes I wonder whether I'll ever be happy or comfortable in my skin again even though I know that everything changes and how I feel at the moment isn't how I'll always feel. It's just a bit hard at the moment though.

I'm going away this weekend to see a friend which should help take my mind off things I hope.
Old May 21st 2014, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Tip for the interviews EM

Just before you go in, think of something really nice. Perhaps meeting with an old friend. Perhaps your dog doing something loveable. A happy tale someone has told you or you read. Something that literally puts a smile on your face.

The memory of that smile will still be on your face. And if YOU are happy, you will start on the right foot,

Good luck
Old May 21st 2014, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmaple,

Well done, 3 interviews lined up in such a short time is fantastic, I hope you are patting yourself on the back for that because I know with the online application forms and your difficulty with typing due to injury it was not easy getting it all done.

I'm so sorry you are feeling unsettled and I think it is completely understandable and normal. So much upheaval, so much stress, so much change. Do hold onto the fact that the life you are living currently in the UK is not the life you will ultimately be able to establish for yourself. Right now every little thing is difficult and not straightforward but as you keep pushing forward everything will get better. Once you have a job so many things will become easier and you will also be able to look at changing your accommodation to something much more suitable for you.

Hang in there, you have achieved a lot already don't judge your future life in the UK by the difficult time you are experiencing right now.

Loads of luck with the interviews, deep breaths and try not to stress, its all great experience no matter what.
Old May 21st 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Not in Glasgow though! - tanning salon capital of the world .
Lol Sadly Glasgow does not have exclusivity on the "Orange Tan" its all of the UK
Old May 21st 2014, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Lol Sadly Glasgow does not have exclusivity on the "Orange Tan" its all of the UK
Glasgow is just a place of joint/common interest to dunroving and myself .

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 21st 2014 at 5:21 pm. Reason: common
Old May 21st 2014, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmaple
Thanks Windsong. Since I wrote that post I now have another interview - so 3 in total to look forward to now. Two are with the same organisation - just in different locations (although all 3 are fairly local to where I'm living). I'm very apprehensive about all 3 because my last interview in Canada was a disaster but I think I lost my nerve in that one because everytime I answered a question the interview panel looked at the clock ... and a friend told me later that the panel were probably going through the motions and had someone in mind already. All I know was that it was a very unpleasant experience which I wish I had saved myself from.

I still feel profoundly unsettled though ... and sort of sad too. Sad that Canada didn't work out. Missing some people I was close to. Missing the familiar (even though it was hard when I was there). And it's so weird being a stranger in one's own country. There are things I'm glad about since I got back (things that I really missed like the English countryside) but overall it's very bittersweet at the moment and sometimes I wonder whether I'll ever be happy or comfortable in my skin again even though I know that everything changes and how I feel at the moment isn't how I'll always feel. It's just a bit hard at the moment though.

I'm going away this weekend to see a friend which should help take my mind off things I hope.
Thanks for this update EM. It's brilliant to have three interviews already!!!

The unsettled feeling is completely normal, I think, after a long time away....have a read of islandwoman's story on the Over 40s thread, I think there is a way just to search one person's posts and read them in sequence--when she first came back she too was very unsettled, not to say unhappy...is now living in I think her third place, and loving it.

As you so wisely say, how you feel now isn't how you'll always feel. But I do hope you start feeling better soon--enjoy the visit to the friend.
Old May 27th 2014, 12:19 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Hi English Maple. I completely missed this thread because I don't normally look at the Back Home forum. Now I've found it I've had a read. It's very interesting to hear how you've been getting on.

I hope one of your job applications was successful. Good luck with any interviews which haven't occurred yet.

On the long term housing issue, I think it is worth getting on any housing association lists asap.
Old May 27th 2014, 12:28 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I was interested in your comparison of Job Centres with Canada. When we were first in Edmo I was interested in getting a part-time job. But, I wasn't eligible to work for 18 months, which was the time it took to get PR.

Then, I just couldn't find out how to go about finding jobs. The whole thing was a mystery, and I couldn't find anyone to help me. I gave up in the end. I was getting really fed up with Alberta by that time and just decided to spend several months in the UK each year, which I couldn't have done if I was working, so it was all for the best.
Old May 29th 2014, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the encouraging messages - I really appreciate them.

I went for my first interview today and it went well - it lasted 1 and 3/4 hours and the interviewer indicated that I had come across well. I will hear by Monday whether I have it. If I have, I will accept and not do the other 2 interviews as 1 is a contract post (2 years) whereas the one I went for is permanent (I'm tired of contracts). And they were both the same sort of salaries - around 18K, just over (which is a start - a foot in the door). The 3rd interview is with the same organisation I interviewed for today - just a different location - so I'm not too fussed about that one.

The interview went really well though - which is nice as I badly needed a good experience after my interviews in Canada!

I will need to get a car though as the hours include shifts - some finishing at 9 and the bus doesn't run then! I know someone mentioned Skodas a while back. My landlord suggested Kia's as well - has anyone got feedback on this type of car? I will need to get something within a few weeks of being offered the position I think - so not a lot of time to get it sorted if I get offered the job.

It's going to be challenging running a car on this salary and saving some money and paying rent on a 1 bedroom place though - I am actually thinking that, if I do get the job, once I'm settled, I will look to buy a small 1 bedroom flat. It will be a huge chunk of my pension money (money I was going to put towards a UK pension) but the rents are crazy here. Around 700 - 750 pounds monthly for a 1 bedroom flat. If I get a mortgage with a large deposit, I would pay a lot less in mortgage than I would in rent.

And I really don't feel I can live in a bedroom forever (as I'm doing now!). Altho' I think I'll need to hold my job for at least 6 months before I can be considered for a mortgage but living with other people who have different habits is quite challenging at the moment - if I'd known in advance what it would have been like, I might have opted for a 1 bedroom rental from the start but economically renting a room (like I'm doing) does make sense - it's just a bit hard at times!

Will post more when I have more news.

The only other thing is that I am very cold all the time! Can't get used to the English temperatures or rain!! But I also think it's due to the fact that the landlord also likes fresh air and the heating off or low! I shall have to find some thermals until I adapt better!
Old May 29th 2014, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your update. Sorry you are so cold. The landlord probably wants to save on his heating bill!! The rain, in my opinion, does get old.
Great you feel you had a good interview. I hope you get the offered the job and find out what kind of car would be best suited for you. The rents there are so bloody expensive. At least you could get a mortgage after being at your job for a few months. Living with other people is a big adjustment. In a few months you will have your own place and I hope you will feel all in all the move was well worth it.
Old May 29th 2014, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, good words from morayeel. Great that you had positive feel about the interview. I do hope you get it of it's the job you want! Best of luck....

It is pretty chilly right now, we have our heating set to go on when it goes below about 20 indoors, which many Brits feel is very wimpy in May--but just because the calendar says May (or June, or July) doesn't mean it is warm!!

Keep us posted!
Old May 29th 2014, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmaple
Thanks for all the encouraging messages - I really appreciate them.

I will need to get a car though as the hours include shifts - some finishing at 9 and the bus doesn't run then! I know someone mentioned Skodas a while back. My landlord suggested Kia's as well - has anyone got feedback on this type of car? I will need to get something within a few weeks of being offered the position I think - so not a lot of time to get it sorted if I get offered the job.

It's going to be challenging running a car on this salary !
Well I bought a new car yesterday. It took about 2 hours to complete the purchase and paper work.
I didn't get a Skoda but I understand they are very good cars.
Old May 30th 2014, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Got the job!!!!!!!!!!

Feeling very vindicated since my ex and my lawyer both said that going back to the UK could damage my employment prospects - I love UK employers!

Now just got to get a car sorted (going to start doing that tomorrow) and then, 3 months down the line, I am going to move ... it's not getting any warmer here but I am so relieved that I finally have work (they've got to check my references and do some other checks but I think it will be okay). There isn't a lot of computer use either (about 70 percent working with people and 30 percent working on paperwork/the computer) and there is the option of handwriting notes too - so I haven't disclosed my health issue as I think I'll be able to manage it. But they are a mindful employer so I think if I do have to get accommodation for my RSI it won't be too much of a problem particularly as the government here give employers money to modify work environments.

I think, if I just keep my eye on my goal of getting a mortgage, I might be able to stick out another few months where I am living - but I'll see how it goes!
Old May 30th 2014, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by morayeel
Thanks for your update. Sorry you are so cold. The landlord probably wants to save on his heating bill!! The rain, in my opinion, does get old.
Great you feel you had a good interview. I hope you get the offered the job and find out what kind of car would be best suited for you. The rents there are so bloody expensive. At least you could get a mortgage after being at your job for a few months. Living with other people is a big adjustment. In a few months you will have your own place and I hope you will feel all in all the move was well worth it.
He may want to save on the heating bill but I'm paying 460 pounds a month for a room!!

You're right about the rents though - I looked and its around 700/750 a month to rent a 1 bedroom flat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.