Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back 6 Years (23 Years in Canada)

Back 6 Years (23 Years in Canada)

Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 6 Years (23 Years in Canada)

Originally Posted by TrishP
So lovely to hear that your return home to the UK has been positive, Barnstaple & feelbritish. Glad it's worked out for you. I hope to be able to say the same one day.
Thank you TrishP, hopefully your return will sooner than later. My soul belongs here!
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:46 am
Back Home

Barnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond repute

How the pendulum swings !

In Canada they voted for a Liberal Federal Government, kicking out the Conservatives after a good many years. The Province of Ontario also has a Liberal Government.

While in the USA, as we all know, the pendulum has well and truly swung back from a Liberal Government.

I didn't intend for this Thread to be in any way political, or to open it up to invite a diatribe on the merits of either administration, except to comment that both nations have made directly opposite choices, and both were a direct swing from the last few years.

The UK., of course, has to sort out the matter of BREXIT, which brings its own challenges.

It will certainly be interesting to see where all of us will be in five years time.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 9:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barnstaple
It will certainly be interesting to see where all of us will be in five years time.
It sounds as if you're happy where you are. :thumb up:

BTW, are you actually living in Barnstaple itself? I ask because going back four generations, my family originated there, specifically in what was then a village called Pilton which I believe is now part of Barnstaple itself?

(Also an ex-Canadian expat, now living in Newcastle)
Old Nov 14th 2016, 11:57 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live far from Barnstaple. Pilton is a pretty suburb of the town now. The writer Saki spent his unhappy childhood there living with his aunts. The house he grew up in has been divided into two now, but one half of it was for sale recently. I fantasised about buying it and decorating it with motifs of polecats and other animals from Saki's stories.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 12:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I don't live far from Barnstaple. Pilton is a pretty suburb of the town now. The writer Saki spent his unhappy childhood there living with his aunts. The house he grew up in has been divided into two now, but one half of it was for sale recently. I fantasised about buying it and decorating it with motifs of polecats and other animals from Saki's stories.
Thanks Editha. We've been planning to visit Pilton but circumstances are currently severely limiting our options. (Ref your NHS thread).
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barnstaple
o
The only downside is having left our family behind. That has been hard, especially for my wife, as we have children and grand children in Canada and Florida.
I have lived in the US for 30 unsettled years. My husband died two years ago. The only thing keeping me here are my two boys and a granddaughter.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

missmemum is an unknown quantity at this point

We are now into our 28th year in Canada and for the last 5 have wanted to move to Spain. Having family here, has in truth held us back but this spring we are finally going for 2 months to find a new pace to call home. It will still be tough leaving our children, but for our own sanity we have to move, as our love affair with Canada ended a long time ago. We wondered how other people have dealt with this situation?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:41 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missmemum
We are now into our 28th year in Canada and for the last 5 have wanted to move to Spain. Having family here, has in truth held us back but this spring we are finally going for 2 months to find a new pace to call home. It will still be tough leaving our children, but for our own sanity we have to move, as our love affair with Canada ended a long time ago. We wondered how other people have dealt with this situation?
Have you investigated what your long term immigration status is going to be in Spain after Brexit?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:11 pm
Born again atheist

Have you investigated what your long term immigration status is going to be in Spain after Brexit?
Where on earth could you investigate that? Perhaps "Have you considered the uncertainty concerning...." would be better. S/he should definitely be doing that.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:18 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Agreed. Presumably, your situation vis-�*-vis your planned move to France is also uncertain.

How's Mrs Novo doing?

* A grave. I can't get the symbol inserter to work.

Last edited by Editha; Jan 21st 2017 at 5:22 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:40 pm
Born again atheist

Agreed. Presumably, your situation vis-�*-vis your planned move to France is also uncertain.

How's Mrs Novo doing?

* A grave. I can't get the symbol inserter to work.
Thanks for asking. She's doing very well. Her right arm is almost back to normal and her left is improving week to week. However it seems she'll need surgery in the summer to remove most of the copious quantities of titanium.

In a similar vein, the FIL is still alive although he's been in hospital for a month now. The C-word is spreading but we can't find a hospice bed for him.

We've pretty much abandoned the idea of living full time in France but so far nothing suggests that we won't be able keep our home there as a maison secondaire.

On verra.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 6:00 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

The wires in my elbow were removed at an outpatient's clinic by the surgeon using pliers, and without anaesthetic. It's possible surgical procedures have changed since then.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 6:09 pm
Born again atheist

The wires in my elbow were removed at an outpatient's clinic by the surgeon using pliers, and without anaesthetic. It's possible surgical procedures have changed since then.
There's a plate screwed into bone to deal with.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 7:07 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Ouch. Better out than in, I guess.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 10:01 pm
Born again atheist

Ouch. Better out than in, I guess.
Well, perhaps, but we're both Remoaners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.