Back 3 months now!

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:57 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back 3 months now!

Good morning everyone!

Well I have been back in the UK now for 3 months so time for my update me thinks!

Ok well I have just completed my first month back at work and its a relief to have some money coming in again, it was getting a bit tight there at one point lol!

I'm currently working freelance for a private ambulance company in London, the hours are long and the work is hard but the pay is excellent. I still haven't managed to get any remote work as of yet but I need an offshore safety course first. It costs £750 so I have had to wait but now I have the money and its all booked up for two weeks time so hopefully things will start happening for me as I'd originally planned/hoped

I'm still loving being back - every, single, day - truly. I'm really happy and feel more at peace with myself than I have done in a very long time. I think the things that have contributed to this are being able to spend time with my family, catching up with my friends, having my own home again (bliss!) and the fact that I love my little town so much. I walk into town most days and the fantastic weather has been a bonus. Went to the beach with my sister and the dog last week then we sat in a lovely little cafe on the seafront just chilling out - was just fab! My social life here is wonderful, I'm out most days moseying around doing stuff - art galleries, trips into London, lunches with friends,riding my push bike around town and I have rediscovered my local library too which has excellent resources. Over the past 3 weeks I've probably turned my TV on twice, I've been far too busy to slump in front of the telly everyday which was basically all I did my last year in Oz! The milder weather suits me, I don't feel so exhausted all the time anymore

I find everything here to be cheaper in general, I eat really well for a lot less money and I love shopping for clothes. I've got a whole new wardrobe for very little outlay, I've lost nearly a stone now and I actually enjoy choosing what to wear each day rather than miserably trailing round the (expensive) shops trying to find clothes that fit me! I had to have a check up recently and I managed to get an NHS dentist, full check up, scale and polish plus 2 x rays - £18!!! How amazing is that, I used to dread my dental bills in Oz!

I drove to Portsmouth last week and caught up with 2 girls who used to work with me in Oz, they hated it and came back after 9 months, we were all just sitting in this great pub looking out over the water and saying "Wow! We survived it all - how lucky are we?!!!" We laughed so much my face was literally aching when I got home, I'd forgotten what it was like to laugh like that, to feel so comfortable with people and to just be able to be myself.

The best thing I like about being back is British people (in general!!!) I work with a great bunch of boys and girls and I've made some new friends already. I did a shift with this guy the other day and we just got on like a house on fire - none of this "I'm a better medic than you!" bulls***. We had 2 really serious jobs this week but we got our patients in quickly and safely, they are both doing well we found out so yes, feel like I'm doing ok so far! I have all my skills and drugs back now and I don't have to ask permission to do things anymore, yes its a lot of responsibility but I feel confident, so nice not having rude senior paramedics turn up on scene and speak to me like I'm nothing. Most doctors and nurses listen to my handovers, my colleagues treat me with respect and I don't feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall anymore!

Well thats all the good stuff but I feel I need to give a balanced view so heres some stuff that annoys/frustrates me etc!

The traffic. It seriously drives me up the wall, I spend half my life sitting in bloody traffic. Last week my 1 hour 40 min drive to work took me 2 hours and 25 mins due to roadworks on the M25. I wish I didn't have to commute but I have no choice, London is where my work is so I have to suck it up. I've been doing 3 x 12 hour shifts a week but, as of Oct, I'm cutting down to 2 shifts per week, I can't change the traveling so I have to try and change something to make my life easier. I looked at staying in hotels but its so damn expensive it would be better for me to cut down on my hours. I have a very low mortgage so I'll still be comfortable, I don't have any debt so I'm happy with my decision.

People whinging. So. Over. It. If I have to hear one more person whining on about how crap the UK is and how they want to move to Australia I think I will spontaneously combust! I'm sick of hearing it, truly I am. When people ask me now what its like to work in Oz my stock reply is "Same s***, shinier bucket!" I know that some people love Australia and thats just great for them, I'm not an Oz basher (just because it didn't work out for me) but I don't like listen to people keep banging on and on about how the UK is this, that and the other and all negative. I love my country, I'm not afraid to say it and, trust me, I see the best and worst of it

Which brings me on to London and some of the people I have been out to, I'm appalled and shocked at how so many people live there in such squalor. I've been into so many filthy, dirty, houses its unreal, I don't mind working there but I would not live in London again for all the tea in China. I've been out to so many elderly people who live in terrible conditions - dirty houses, soaked in their own urine, hardly any food in the fridge, its brought me to tears on more than one occasion I must admit. I have filled out so many vulnerable adult forms over the past month I feel like I'm on a bit of a crusade to be honest but I shall continue to fill them out til the cows come home. NO ONE should have to live like that and I'm shocked that in our society so many people seem to be falling through the cracks. Don't even get me started on mental health patients, I'm on a mission there too! The help is available but you really have to push for it. Most of the NHS staff I deal with are excellent but there are a few who are clearly burnt out and not very helpful, morale amongst staff is generally low and its a lot worse than I remember it.

Ok well thats my take on things so far, good and bad! I don't want to make this thread a UK/Oz debate or another NHS debate I'm just sharing my experiences so far.

On a lighter note the other night I was driving on blue lights to a job and we drove over Tower Bridge all lit up, I just went WOW and the hairs stood up on my neck. The UK isn't perfect but its pretty damn good, you just have to find a way to make it work for you and if you can't? Well then you have to find your happy place elsewhere. Me? I'm staying put, its not all roses but its where I want to be - life is good, I'm home, I'm settled, I'm happy. Period.

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 2nd 2013 at 3:53 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 3 months now!

MissBetty,

Thank you so much for such a brilliant and balanced update. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences so far, I can't explain how helpful it is hearing from others who have moved back.

Also thank you, thank you for the work you do and for filling out the "vulnerable adult" forms, you are making a difference!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Good morning everyone!

Well I have been back in the UK now for 3 months so time for my update me thinks!

Ok well I have just completed my first month back at work and its a relief to have some money coming in again, it was getting a bit tight there at one point lol!

I'm currently working freelance for a private ambulance company in London, the hours are long and the work is hard but the pay is excellent. I still haven't managed to get any remote work as of yet but I need an offshore safety course first. It costs £750 so I have had to wait but now I have the money and its all booked up for two weeks time so hopefully things will start happening for me as I'd originally planned/hoped

I'm still loving being back - every, single, day - truly. I'm really happy and feel more at peace with myself than I have done in a very long time. I think the things that have contributed to this are being able to spend time with my family, catching up with my friends, having my own home again (bliss!) and the fact that I love my little town so much. I walk into town most days and the fantastic weather has been a bonus. Went to the beach with my sister and the dog last week then we sat in a lovely little cafe on the seafront just chilling out - was just fab! My social life here is wonderful, I'm out most days moseying around doing stuff - art galleries, trips into London, lunches with friends,riding my push bike around town and I have rediscovered my local library too which has excellent resources. Over the past 3 weeks I've probably turned my TV on twice, I've been far too busy to slump in front of the telly everyday which was basically all I did my last year in Oz! The milder weather suits me, I don't feel so exhausted all the time anymore

I find everything here to be cheaper in general, I eat really well for a lot less money and I love shopping for clothes. I've got a whole new wardrobe for very little outlay, I've lost nearly a stone now and I actually enjoy choosing what to wear each day rather than miserably trailing round the (expensive) shops trying to find clothes that fit me! I had to have a check up recently and I managed to get an NHS dentist, full check up, scale and polish plus 2 x rays - £18!!! How amazing is that, I used to dread my dental bills in Oz!

I drove to Portsmouth last week and caught up with 2 girls who used to work with me in Oz, they hated it and came back after 9 months, we were all just sitting in this great pub looking out over the water and saying "Wow! We survived it all - how lucky are we?!!!" We laughed so much my face was literally aching when I got home, I'd forgotten what it was like to laugh like that, to feel so comfortable with people and to just be able to be myself.

The best thing I like about being back is British people (in general!!!) I work with a great bunch of boys and girls and I've made some new friends already. I did a shift with this guy the other day and we just got on like a house on fire - none of this "I'm a better medic than you!" bulls***. We had 2 really serious jobs this week but we got our patients in quickly and safely, they are both doing well we found out so yes, feel like I'm doing ok so far! I have all my skills and drugs back now and I don't have to ask permission to do things anymore, yes its a lot of responsibility but I feel confident, so nice not having rude senior paramedics turn up on scene and speak to me like I'm nothing. Most doctors and nurses listen to my handovers, my colleagues treat me with respect and I don't feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall anymore!

Well thats all the good stuff but I feel I need to give a balanced view so heres some stuff that annoys/frustrates me etc!

The traffic. It seriously drives me up the wall, I spend half my life sitting in bloody traffic. Last week my 1 hour 40 min drive to work took me 2 hours and 25 mins due to roadworks on the M25. I wish I didn't have to commute but I have no choice, London is where my work is so I have to suck it up. I've been doing 3 x 12 hour shifts a week but, as of Oct, I'm cutting down to 2 shifts per week, I can't change the traveling so I have to try and change something to make my life easier. I looked at staying in hotels but its so damn expensive it would be better for me to cut down on my hours. I have a very low mortgage so I'll still be comfortable, I don't have any debt so I'm happy with my decision.

People whinging. So. Over. It. If I have to hear one more person whining on about how crap the UK is and how they want to move to Australia I think I will spontaneously combust! I'm sick of hearing it, truly I am. When people ask me now what its like to work in Oz my stock reply is "Same s***, shinier bucket!" I know that some people love Australia and thats just great for them, I'm not an Oz basher (just because it didn't work out for me) but I don't like listen to people keep banging on and on about how the UK is this, that and the other and all negative. I love my country, I'm not afraid to say it and, trust me, I see the best and worst of it

Which brings me on to London and some of the people I have been out to, I'm appalled and shocked at how so many people live there in such squalor. I've been into so many filthy, dirty, houses its unreal, I don't mind working there but I would not live in London again for all the tea in China. I've been out to so many elderly people who live in terrible conditions - dirty houses, soaked in their own urine, hardly any food in the fridge, its brought me to tears on more than one occasion I must admit. I have filled out so many vulnerable adult forms over the past month I feel like I'm on a bit of a crusade to be honest but I shall continue to fill them out til the cows come home. NO ONE should have to live like that and I'm shocked that in our society so many people seem to be falling through the cracks. Don't even get me started on mental health patients, I'm on a mission there too! The help is available but you really have to push for it. Most of the NHS staff I deal with are excellent but there are a few who are clearly burnt out and not very helpful, morale amongst staff is generally low and its a lot worse than I remember it.

Ok well thats my take on things so far, good and bad! I don't want to make this thread a UK/Oz debate or another NHS debate I'm just sharing my experiences so far.

On a lighter note the other night I was driving on blue lights to a job and we drove over Tower Bridge all lit up, I just went WOW and the hairs stood up on my neck. The UK isn't perfect but its pretty damn good, you just have to find a way to make it work for you and if you can't? Well then you have to find your happy place elsewhere. Me? I'm staying put, its not all roses but its where I want to be - life is good, I'm home, I'm settled, I'm happy. Period.
Wow, is it 3 months already? When I think back to your original posts from Australia several months ago, what a turnaround! It just goes to show how our lives can change just by being in the right place, in the right circumstances. Happy for you.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good heavens, it can't be 3 months already!!! Good to hear that things are generally going to plan!

I think when I am dictator I am going to ban the Daily Fail - it single handed lay raises the whinge factor above critical by 8am every morning I reckon!

The M25 is a bit of a car park at the mo isn't it?! My son missed the ferry out of Dover the other day even though he gave himself plenty of time!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds wonderful.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

You sound so truly happy! Glad everything is coming together as anticipated, life is for living and being content and you sound like you are very much doing that.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 7:24 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
MissBetty,

Thank you so much for such a brilliant and balanced update. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences so far, I can't explain how helpful it is hearing from others who have moved back.

Also thank you, thank you for the work you do and for filling out the "vulnerable adult" forms, you are making a difference!

That's ok mate! I don't come on here as much as I did before but I have never forgotten my BE famliy! Other peoples updates kept me going when I was really suffering so happy to return the favour!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 7:32 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by dunroving
Wow, is it 3 months already? When I think back to your original posts from Australia several months ago, what a turnaround! It just goes to show how our lives can change just by being in the right place, in the right circumstances. Happy for you.
Thank you so much, yes I think one of the main things is that I am happier at work, I feel more in control now as I can work as and when I want. I work with mainly emergency care assistants and technicians so I am the senior clinician and I get to say how the job goes. I treat my crew mates with respect but, as I am the one who is state registered and has to take full responsibility, I feel more comfortable about taking charge and (gently!) putting my foot down if needed!

Obviously they can get rid of me if ever they wanted to but there is so much work for me in the UK I don't really stress about that. I could even go and work in telephone triage if I wanted to, sitting on my bum answering phones for NHS direct for £25 per hour - sounds very appealing for the winter if my remote stuff doesn't come up for a while lol!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 7:39 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by quoll
Good heavens, it can't be 3 months already!!! Good to hear that things are generally going to plan!

I think when I am dictator I am going to ban the Daily Fail - it single handed lay raises the whinge factor above critical by 8am every morning I reckon!

The M25 is a bit of a car park at the mo isn't it?! My son missed the ferry out of Dover the other day even though he gave himself plenty of time!
Yes it drives me nuts, am looking forward to cutting down my shifts next month - I'm exhausted from all the stop/start driving!!! Thanks for the good wishes x

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sounds wonderful.
I'm getting there!

Originally Posted by Almo
You sound so truly happy! Glad everything is coming together as anticipated, life is for living and being content and you sound like you are very much doing that.
Thanks! I am really happy, obviously I have my days when things don't go to plan but generally my life feels a lot more peaceful and I take such pleasure in the simple things these days. Last week, after 3 VERY long shifts, I took a stroll into town and sat out in the sunshine munching on my jacket potato just feeling very content and grinning at passers by - I'm sure people must think I'm a bit of a nutter ha ha ha!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

[/quote] Thanks! I am really happy, obviously I have my days when things don't go to plan but generally my life feels a lot more peaceful and I take such pleasure in the simple things these days. Last week, after 3 VERY long shifts, I took a stroll into town and sat out in the sunshine munching on my jacket potato just feeling very content and grinning at passers by - I'm sure people must think I'm a bit of a nutter ha ha ha!!!![/QUOTE]

Ahhh - such a wonderful feeling, isn't it? Looking forward to taking advantage of the simple life in the UK. Thanks for the great update. It's nice that you are keeping in touch
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

MissBetty, At first I wondered who you were but when name clicked was happy to read your posting. I am very happy for you and it's great that you have several options with your career.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:32 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent Miss B. I wondered where you were and how you were getting on. Excellent update.

Glad it's going well and you're getting on with life as it stands. Despite your shock at how badly some people live. I guess if anyone is going to see it and respond appropriately, it's someone in your job.

Your remark about seeing Tower Bridge all lit up really resonated with me. I miss London. I like it, but I couldn't live there. I miss being able to visit London in less than an hour by train.

However, I jogged on the bridge over the Wanganui river earlier today. The surface of the river was like a mirror, in the distance was Mt Ruapehu, clearly visible with the snow on the slopes. It's such a clear blue sky day today. Beautiful.

Anyway, come Christmas when you're having a proper one in Winter, you can rub that in !
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Your first post here MB is exactly-EXACTLY what I wanted to know. The balance is crucial.

In reverse-coming to Australia, the balance is equally crucial, yet it is missing. With the advent of ever increasing marketing spin,-the 'rosy glow' crap is endemic! Aided by media regrettably on both sides of the pond.

UK/Aus; giving a negative /positive view is,...well, reality! That is why your post is such an asset of information, and why forums like BE are such a valuable resource.
If anything is over hyped,-the letdown is inevitable. On the migration issue, balance is vital.

I admit to being highly sensitive over the 'why would you want to come back here'. I will do my utmost to avoid being had up on a GBH charge, it is so unbecoming at my age!

My thanks also for your concern over those in desperate need of help. Well done!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
I I managed to get an NHS dentist, full check up, scale and polish plus 2 x rays - £18!!! How amazing is that, I used to dread my dental bills in Oz!

we were all just sitting in this great pub looking out over the water and saying "Wow! We survived it all - how lucky are we?!!!" We laughed so much my face was literally aching when I got home, I'd forgotten what it was like to laugh like that, to feel so comfortable with people and to just be able to be myself.

we drove over Tower Bridge all lit up, I just went WOW and the hairs stood up on my neck.
THIS is what I miss. Can't wait to be back, your post has made me very happy today Miss Betty, thank you for taking the time to share with us.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:27 am
Practical Paramedic

Thanks! I am really happy, obviously I have my days when things don't go to plan but generally my life feels a lot more peaceful and I take such pleasure in the simple things these days. Last week, after 3 VERY long shifts, I took a stroll into town and sat out in the sunshine munching on my jacket potato just feeling very content and grinning at passers by - I'm sure people must think I'm a bit of a nutter ha ha ha!!!![/QUOTE]

Ahhh - such a wonderful feeling, isn't it? Looking forward to taking advantage of the simple life in the UK. Thanks for the great update. It's nice that you are keeping in touch [/QUOTE]

It is a nice feeling, I keep waiting for the honeymoon period to end but it doesn't! Sure there have been some annoyances along the way but generally my moving back has been a very positive experience for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.