Back 3 months and hating it!

Old Aug 1st 2014, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 3 months and hating it!

Like everyone else here I think its early days yet. To add to that I think its incredibly difficult to move to a major city like London if you are not a)prepared and seeking that thrill b) coming from a less 'concentrated' city. I lived in London in my university days and loved it then but I got tired of it in the end and moved to Cambridge which was a much better fit. Before you make your next move dig deep and do some research. There are many alternatives. Best of luck!
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 11:33 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Remembering your posts when you were in Calgary, a lot of your feelings about being here or there seem to be influenced by your marriage breakdown and separation from your children.

I agree with the other people who have commented, that it is too early to decide that your children don't want contact with you. Contact for the non custodial parent is rarely easy and needs work. Your children's apparent indifference may be their way of coping. They may not be sure that you will hang around and be there for them. Like you, they have had to cope with changing countries and a lot of uncertainties.

I'm sorry the job isn't working out. Maybe you should treat it as a jumping off point for something better in Britain, and likewise your apartment. But, I think that having made a commitment to be closer to your younger children, you should stick with it.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:15 pm
BE Newbie

Back2Blighty is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheeky Monkey

Like you I gave up my 4,500sq ft house, basement and triple garage in Calgary for a tiny two bedroom bungalow in Essex. Teenagers are very selfish and apart from their friends very little else is important in their lives. I would continue to contact them either via email, phone or Skype so that they know you still want to be part of their lives.

Three months is far too early to be considering returning to Canada, believe me I was in the same boat this time last year but stuck it out and things have turned around and I am now enjoying my return to the UK.

I left all my worldly goods behind in Calgary when my marriage fell apart due to my ex having a major 'mid life crisis' I may not have all the trappings I had in Canada but I am richer for it!

I decided to not go back into my old career and am doing something completely different and live in a different area. London is far too expensive and impersonal. You should consider moving closer to your children in order to maintain a more 'hands on' relationship with them if that is what is important to you, the rest will follow.

I wish you all the best.

Back2Blights
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Back2Blighty
Cheeky Monkey

Like you I gave up my 4,500sq ft house, basement and triple garage in Calgary for a tiny two bedroom bungalow in Essex. Teenagers are very selfish and apart from their friends very little else is important in their lives. I would continue to contact them either via email, phone or Skype so that they know you still want to be part of their lives.

Three months is far too early to be considering returning to Canada, believe me I was in the same boat this time last year but stuck it out and things have turned around and I am now enjoying my return to the UK.

I left all my worldly goods behind in Calgary when my marriage fell apart due to my ex having a major 'mid life crisis' I may not have all the trappings I had in Canada but I am richer for it!

I decided to not go back into my old career and am doing something completely different and live in a different area. London is far too expensive and impersonal. You should consider moving closer to your children in order to maintain a more 'hands on' relationship with them if that is what is important to you, the rest will follow.

I wish you all the best.

Back2Blights